Summer transfer window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ward Prowse is a 1 trick pony.

There's a reason teams walked through Southamptons midfield.

He offers nothing in play other than set pieces. Not what we need.
i disagree. put him in there with gana and doucs and its a solid midfield, plus a bit of service to Dom from set pieces and open play. danjuma and gray on the wings. what more do you want hehe

Not at all. He was a good player in France but still developing. Struggled to settle in Spain, but there's no shame in that with Villarreal's attacking riches at the time.

He moved to a Salernitana side that had scraped to survival the season before and create few chances, yet managed to bag 16 goals in 33.

He is strong with a good turn of pace, has good close control, can play out wide and brings others into the game well. Due to Salernitana's lack of chance creation, he didn't shoot that often, but his shot accuracy is tremendous. According to the stats he hit the target with 44.7% of his efforts (putting him in the 76th percentile of all strikers in the top 5 leagues) and his conversion rate is an amazing 0.32, putting him in the 99th percentile!!

He was the 3rd top scorer in Serie A behind Osimhen and Martinez and, I'll say it again, he was playing for a rubbish team. That rubbish team stayed up comfortably having just scraped survival the year before. I honestly believe that with players like McNeil and Danjuma feeding him, and Dyche's desire to get the ball into the box, he'll be presented with way more chances playing for us. I usually want us to avoid signing players over 26 where possible, but I don’t believe we could find a better striker in our current situation. He is simultaneously very good and would also suit our team. His biggest weakness is that he's not great in the air. He's not terrible, just not as good as some similar strikers. All round he is really good though.

Some of his stats are below:
View attachment 219968
I'll take your word for it m8, as my knowledge of him pre - Salernitana is zero. It just does make you question why a striker his age has never had any Bearing on me before last season.

( I will remember your word tho m8 if we do end up signing Maupay mk2 )

Surely Gana will be able to help on this one tho

Not at all. He was a good player in France but still developing. Struggled to settle in Spain, but there's no shame in that with Villarreal's attacking riches at the time.

He moved to a Salernitana side that had scraped to survival the season before and create few chances, yet managed to bag 16 goals in 33.

He is strong with a good turn of pace, has good close control, can play out wide and brings others into the game well. Due to Salernitana's lack of chance creation, he didn't shoot that often, but his shot accuracy is tremendous. According to the stats he hit the target with 44.7% of his efforts (putting him in the 76th percentile of all strikers in the top 5 leagues) and his conversion rate is an amazing 0.32, putting him in the 99th percentile!!

He was the 3rd top scorer in Serie A behind Osimhen and Martinez and, I'll say it again, he was playing for a rubbish team. That rubbish team stayed up comfortably having just scraped survival the year before. I honestly believe that with players like McNeil and Danjuma feeding him, and Dyche's desire to get the ball into the box, he'll be presented with way more chances playing for us. I usually want us to avoid signing players over 26 where possible, but I don’t believe we could find a better striker in our current situation. He is simultaneously very good and would also suit our team. His biggest weakness is that he's not great in the air. He's not terrible, just not as good as some similar strikers. All round he is really good though.

Some of his stats are below:
View attachment 219968
I wanted toure but think this lad looks more ready to step up has have experience in a few leagues now. Hopefully if comes in confident after having a great season in italy. Is his hold up play good if he is jot good in the air?

I'll take your word for it m8, as my knowledge of him pre - Salernitana is zero. It just does make you question why a striker his age has never had any Bearing on me before last season.

( I will remember your word tho m8 if we do end up signing Maupay mk2 )

Surely Gana will be able to help on this one tho
Well scouting isn't an exact science and neither is amateur scouting - I am after all not a professional, though I do know a couple of people involved in it - but good to know you'll be holding me accountable mate! 😄😄

All I can say is, from what I've seen, I am confident he'd be a good fit for us and is the best available that we might be able to attract. I would love us to go for Gift Orban, but Dia is a good fit for Dyche's style, without being the kind of player that he normally signs, I.e. absolute tosh.

In terms of the age thing, players develop and find their feet at different ages, it's not an exact science. I know he's always injured, but I was very surprised by how good a CF Dom became, for example, as when he was a kid, he tried hard but looked like he'd won a competition. The development thing is also why so many really well thought of youngsters never go on to make it. This lad (Dia) is good.

On the final point, I doubt we would even seriously consider Dia if I am honest, due to those at the top of the club, but if we do, yes he should know Gana. He also played with Danjuma at Villarreal.

I wanted toure but think this lad looks more ready to step up has have experience in a few leagues now. Hopefully if comes in confident after having a great season in italy. Is his hold up play good if he is jot good in the air?
Yeah. He's strong. He's also not bad in the air, just not as good as you might expect for a player of his profile.

I wanted Toure too as we can flip him for more coin after a season or two and reinvest. But I haven't really seen him play, just looked at his stats when we were linked. I'd seen Dia play alot in France. Once for Villarreal and started really paying attention to him at Salernitana after the Jan transfer window this year. Watched him play a few times (including him bagging a hat trick against Fiorentina) and was impressed by how much his game seems to have developed.

Can someone tell me what has actually got us excited about this lad ( other than he's a striker )

Didn't have a clue who he was until last season, which was the only season he's hit reasonable numbers in his career. And he's not exactly young.
Sounds more like a random lucky season, or by 26 someone would of taken note of him.

You sure we're not gonna be offering cash + Maupay for Maupay
Serious question. If he is that good why would they want Maupay?

Serious question. If he is that good why would they want Maupay?
Because they can make a profit and replace the player they sell for cheaper.

Also - Maupay isn’t actually a terrible player when played in the correct system.
Everyone knew - especially Brighton fans - that he was unsuited to playing up front on his own. And yet of course that’s what Everton did with him.

He’ll be fine somewhere else and probably go back to scoring 8-10 goals a season again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back