Summer transfer window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
You heavily implied it by bemoaning a previous free transfer that didn't work out as well as we'd have hoped.

Why even bring bernard up at all? I could say James tarkowski worked out as our best signing last summer and he was a free agent

It's completely irrelevant though. Every transfer is different.

Was pointing out that just because someone has played for Brazil and is free and in a position we need, doesn’t automatically make them a good signing - especially if they look unsuited to the league (like Bernard and maybe this lad)

Was pointing out that just because someone has played for Brazil and is free and in a position we need, doesn’t automatically make them a good signing - especially if they look unsuited to the league (like Bernard and maybe this lad)
He is pretty good tbh.

He walked into a very dysfunctional Leicester team were they were all struggling.

He is a good player.

The accounts are published it is a chronic financial picture. We have the worst wages to turnover ratio in the league. However, there is an opportunity to slowly recover if we retain our top flight status. Nearly all the big deals will be up end of next season. Gomes, Gbamin, Dele, Keane to add to Mina this summer. The only big deals remaining will be for players that are contributing (Tarks and Pickford). Presumably younger cheaper players will be coming in
i hope so mate cos i thought when the likes of bernard walcott schniderlin delph tosun rodriguez etc all went it would make a difference but hasn’t seemed to change anything

Comparing last seasons summer window to this and so far its identicle. Free transfer and a loan in tarkowski and vinagre brought in. This season young and danjuma. We didnt buy anyone until a week before the season in mcneill. The rest of our signings were made while the season had started and on deadline day itself. The fanbase last summer was saying the same things as this summer. "We need to bring players in now early." This fails to happen and the mistrust in the people at the club grows. Again classic kenwright. The same man in charge of signings repeating the same mistakes. Personally i believe that targets are being presented and agreed on by scouting and the manager. Its above them where our problems lay. Surely our finances were in a worse state last season compared to this and we have shifted alot of money off the wage bill?
It's isn't it because of who handles our negotiations, and we hardly ever make cash purchases till August. We often go on wild choose chases we can't afford see Kudos, Diaz, Toure.. Then end up with a disappointing alternative. Anyone would think it was orchestrated because we haven't a pot to pee in due to mismanagement..

Im honestly trying not to be mean to him, but I strongly suspect he hasnt got a clue mate, hes got a long, long history of being wrong and never really saying anything.
I think that anybody with genuine inside information generally doesn't share it on a public forum.
I do believe that with local contacts and as an employee of SKY that he probably knows more than most... a lot of which is told in confidence and he is not in a position to share.
There are a few journalists that are certainly fed some information by the club and he will be one of them I believe.

He didn't name El Bilal Toure last week but it was clear he knew who it was and he talked about it before anybody else.
However , I certainly believe that the club controls the information and when it is being disclosed.

The accounts are published it is a chronic financial picture. We have the worst wages to turnover ratio in the league. However, there is an opportunity to slowly recover if we retain our top flight status. Nearly all the big deals will be up end of next season. Gomes, Gbamin, Dele, Keane to add to Mina this summer. The only big deals remaining will be for players that are contributing (Tarks and Pickford). Presumably younger cheaper players will be coming in
I agree with the wage to turnover as a current issue, but as u highlight, this issue will be largely gone next year. So it is a short term problem that needs to be managed. There are lots of ways to do that. Even the most costly, a short term bridging loan of 50m may 'only cost 5m' in fees. It is only the fees that are considered for FFP, so that would instantly give EFC a net 45m cash for investment into the footballing side of the business. Throw in the sales of Richy, Gordon and Kaen and I really struggle to align the current social media perception of Everton's financials with reality

Wouldn't be too sure about that kenwright loves to offer massive wages out now it isn't his neck on the line.

How holgate has managed to get 75kpw contract, blows my mind. Keanes had a pay increase and he came in on 80kpw. Apparently we offered iwobi over 100kpw when we were battling relegation ffs. Maupay is on 70k, mykolenko is on 60k. Gomes 120k, Gbamin 80k and talk was dele is on 150kpw.

We gave digne a contract worth 120kpw and he was 29. Luckily villa bought him coz we've seen how much he's dropped off the last 18 months.

Its insane we used to have a 50kpw wage cap and that cost us players but it made sure the ship didn't sink. God knows why we've thrown that away. We need a wage cap back. So we can sell players if they turn out crap not loan them to Turkey till their contract runs out.

Wouldn't be too sure about that kenwright loves to offer massive wages out now it isn't his neck on the line.

How holgate has managed to get 75kpw contract, blows my mind. Keanes had a pay increase and he came in on 80kpw. Apparently we offered iwobi over 100kpw when we were battling relegation ffs. Maupay is on 70k, mykolenko is on 60k. Gomes 120k, Gbamin 80k and talk was dele is on 150kpw.

We gave digne a contract worth 120kpw and he was 29. Luckily villa bought him coz we've seen how much he's dropped off the last 18 months.

Its insane we used to have a 50kpw wage cap and that cost us players but it made sure the ship didn't sink. God knows why we've thrown that away. We need a wage cap back. So we can sell players if they turn out crap not loan them to Turkey till their contract runs out.
We really do
Might miss out on players but would put mercenaries off too
I remember Wenger getting criticised for his wage cap at Arsenal and they did lose some players but
it helped them build their stadium and a short term drop off set a very strong foundation for the future
This has to be part of our reset
Some of those wages you've listed for some of those players makes me want to vomit

Comparing last seasons summer window to this and so far its identicle. Free transfer and a loan in tarkowski and vinagre brought in. This season young and dunjama. We didnt buy anyone until a week before the season in mcneill. The rest of our signings were made while the season had started and on deadline day itself. Again classic kenwright. The same man in charge of signings repeating the same
It's isn't it because of who handles our negotiations, and we hardly ever make cash purchases till August. We often go on wild choose chases we can't afford see Kudos, Diaz, Toure.. Then end up with a disappointing alternative. Anyone would think it was orchestrated because we haven't a pot to pee in due to mismanagement..
Yep. Also coz we always leave it to the last minute whether by choice or because we need the tv money in the bank the press gets filled with targets we probably arent even in for just to make it look like we are on it 24/7. This is another result of the lack of trust the fanbase has in our boardroom that the club thinks its better to make the supporters read that we are in for players when we arent. Its no coincidence we go through the long protracted dance of "Everton in for so and so" every summer. The fanbase know whats needed and that players need to be brought in early but just going off past summer windows we hardly ever as you say buy early. So supporters start reading all these names when in reality we hardly ever are in for them. I dunno about the lad going to atalanta but his name has been in the press for ages. First we show interest. Next we arent in for him at all. Followed by weve bid money the club have inferred we havent got for him. In reality though over the period of time the players name has been in the press we buy nobody.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back