Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer transfer window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is actually terrifying how many players we're losing at the end of the year. As it stands, without making loans permanent or offering any one year deals to older players, we're due to lose Iwobi, Dele, Doucoure, Gana, Young, Coleman, Danjuma, Harrison, Gray (on the off chance he doesn't go now), Gomes, Gbamin, and Lonergan.

Now the good news is, we'll be saving about £300k p/w on Dele, Gomes and Gbamin who will likely never feature for us again. It'll help bring our wage bill down massively which is long overdue.

The bad news is, the rest of them bar Lonergan are first teamers and largely going to be in the first XI. Whilst a few of them are of questionable quality, it will ultimately require money we don't have to replace them. If we do survive this season, which let's be honest is a real concern, it'll be yet another year of patching things up to survive another season.
I regard that as an opportunity rather than something to be concerned about.
With that number of poor / non contributing players out the door we could then bring in a progressive coach and players that fit his style of play.

As ive posted before, next summer we only have McNeil and Dobbin under contract who can play any of the three attacking midfield roles.

In addition we will only have Onana and Garner for central midfield (Gana is/will be finished at this level).

If, and its a big if we could sign Wharton and one of Gnonto/Bakayoko that would go a long way to next summers business being done in advance.
I watched the Blackburn game and specifically Wharton yesterday.
He is no where near ready at this level.
His brother, the centre half plays like a Phil Jones clone

Are you stuck in the 90’s ?Relegated twice in the last 30 years. A million miles away from Norwich and West Brom. Yes, I’m West Ham.
Why do fans of other clubs lurk around this forum and randomly get the hump when their teams are blithely criticised? For example, I couldn't care less what jellied eel eating, Danny Dyer loving, "world cup winning", cockernees think of Everton and so never go on their forum looking for things to be cross about. Strange behaviour.

I regard that as an opportunity rather than something to be concerned about.
With that number of poor / non contributing players out the door we could then bring in a progressive coach and players that fit his style of play.
If we had any money I would have agreed with you but we'll have to replace about a dozen players with nothing to spend. It's a bit of a worry.

If we had any money I would have agreed with you but we'll have to replace about a dozen players with nothing to spend. It's a bit of a worry.
The big hope WM is that by then 2 things will have happened;

1. We have been taken over
2. Our accounts have been rehabilitated from a FFP / P&S standpoint.

However , equally ;
1. Moshiri and Kenwright still here
2. We get a transfer ban for 2 windows.

Take your pick

It is actually terrifying how many players we're losing at the end of the year. As it stands, without making loans permanent or offering any one year deals to older players, we're due to lose Iwobi, Dele, Doucoure, Gana, Young, Coleman, Danjuma, Harrison, Gray (on the off chance he doesn't go now), Gomes, Gbamin, and Lonergan.

Now the good news is, we'll be saving about £300k p/w on Dele, Gomes and Gbamin who will likely never feature for us again. It'll help bring our wage bill down massively which is long overdue.

The bad news is, the rest of them bar Lonergan are first teamers and largely going to be in the first XI. Whilst a few of them are of questionable quality, it will ultimately require money we don't have to replace them. If we do survive this season, which let's be honest is a real concern, it'll be yet another year of patching things up to survive another season.

Opportunity for a great reset. As long as we don't go down like.

Tbh the number of players leaving is more terrifying than the names of the players. I see it a bit more positively as almost the final purge of our most excessive earners. There’s probably about 35-40 million a year between those in salary.

Based on age and ability only 4 of those (Doucoure, Iwobi, Harrison, Danjuma) should realistically be anywhere near our squad next season anyway. And those we could still plausibly extend or make permanent, with an option on Harrison.

We’ll have loads to do next summer but then we always do. For me the massive purge of the wage bill is more of a positive than the loss of most of those players is a negative.

It'll definitely swing the wages-turnover ratio more in our favour (FFP wise it won't hurt), and I agree I'll be fairly glad to see the backs of some of them. I just worry that we're already spending next years money now, see Beto, and you'd think there's only so long we can kick the can down the road before it catches up with us. Think we need the stadium finishing or a new owner asap as I fear we'll be a bit stuck in the transfer market until we do, there's currently zero cash flow.

Why do fans of other clubs lurk around this forum and randomly get the hump when their teams are blithely criticised? For example, I couldn't care less what jellied eel eating, Danny Dyer loving, "world cup winning", cockernees think of Everton and so never go on their forum looking for things to be cross about. Strange behaviour.
Its probably multis from here pretending to be fans of other teams.

Hope Wolves don’t sell that Nunes, would rather they didn’t have £60m to spend
Will they have it to spend though? Doesn’t sound like their owners are particularly committed and may just be trousering what they can from sales. It might get a few signings over the line like that Swiss lad but not sure we’ll see the full fee spent.

Also if FFP is their issue they signed him for 45m last summer so he won’t represent an enormous profit for the books.

Are you stuck in the 90’s ?Relegated twice in the last 30 years. A million miles away from Norwich and West Brom. Yes, I’m West Ham.
Oh ok, didn’t realise. That’s been my perception, just like everyone thinks we are perennial strugglers, when in fact it’s only been the last two years. Perceptions eh?

Oh ok, didn’t realise. That’s been my perception, just like everyone thinks we are perennial strugglers, when in fact it’s only been the last two years. Perceptions eh?
Ive never found West Ham fans arrogant, unlike say our neighbours or Chelsea. Like all fans they do gave some nutters though. Although I did drink after an Everton game in Romford and survived!😁

Ive never found West Ham fans arrogant, unlike say our neighbours or Chelsea. Like all fans they do gave some nutters though. Although I did drink after an Everton game in Romford and survived!😁
i just thought I’d educate myself and they’ve actually only been relegated five times in their entire history, which is surprising. I recall in the 90s they always seemed to struggle, but to be fair, in a big portion of those years so did we. Apologies to any West Ham visiting posters.

Terrifying or Teriffic, depending on the quality of these players? At least we don’t need relegation clauses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back