Summer transfer window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weve already sold Gordon for a huge profit in this accounting period and reinvested nothing.

If we genuinely need another big sale this month to help the accounts, then we are in enormous trouble financially
I think it's more for FFP purposes and the fact we lack cash flow, we still need to sell to buy. Gordon just covered losses from last year, yes we are in a financial hole and have been for three years, losing the USM funds didn't help too

Last edited:
I think it's more for FFP purposes and the fact we lack cash flow, we still need to sell to buy. Gordon just covered losses from last year, yes we are in a financial hole and have been for three years, losing the USM funds didn't help top.

No one knows why we didnt invest the Gordon cash in January mate its all speculation.

The glass half full viewpoint is the club were holding it back to help towards covering the TV money loss if we had gone down which probably was the smart thing to do when you look at Saints having spent £50m to still go down.

Throw in the Kean money I'll be shocked if there isn't a few bob to spend this summer. I would imagine any business will be after 1st July.

Yeah, I know what you meant - and you’re right.

But still, I think our transfer budget is likely a 1990s-sized one
Yes I miss understood your reply. I agree we I think is like the end of Peter Johnson/early Bill Kenwright times. Hopefully it won't come to us releasing our youth team, then buying some back later on.

The current Champions of Europe were not so long ago renowned as being a yoyo club and Leicester won a PL Title & FA Cup after being a championship side for many years. Villa and Newcastle who are flying were also recent championship sides.

I stand by my notion of im not interested in what league we play in until we're in a position to push for actual trophies / success.

The problem is we have happy clappers in the fanbase who believe being a midtable plodder like Crystal Palace is success because they're a PL Club and we should celebrate avoiding relegation like we've just won a trophy.

Small time, short-termism mentality born out of Kenwrights ownership of the club.

Mate … going down is never a step forward ..

Leeds, Portsmouth , Bolton, man city , Forrest and a host of others have gone down and taken ages to get back, not come back or nearly went extinct

Mate … going down is never a step forward ..

Leeds, Portsmouth , Bolton, man city , Forrest and a host of others have gone down and taken ages to get back, not come back or nearly went extinct

My point is mate survival/relegation isn't binary.

Leicester have just gone down but would you trade places with them next season if you were guaranteed to win a Title / FA Cup ? I would.

Clubs like Newcastle, Leicester, Villa, West Ham, Brighton all ahead of us currently yet have been Championship sides over the years / been relegated from the PL (Brighton aside).

What has our top flight record gotten us these past 28 years ?

Kenwright has brainwashed our fanbase since the 90's into believing merely being a top flight outfit is success in order to justify his tenure at the club.

That why I said it’s like us. Losing 200m over 3 seasons .. which is way more than we are allowed .

Then replace 3 years ago with this year ( break even or make small profit) and we are still over … or close to the limit … meaning we still have our hands tied financially .

I am no expert on this btw I’m just adding up the bits I have heard and if you have been following it closely you will undoubtably have a better understanding than me
That is definitely not how it works, its a 3 year cycle, not 6 years, and it would be impossible for us to lose 200m over 3 seasons and get away with it, it was half of that. We arent over anything, we have the room to lose at least 50m this season and probably upwards of 80m. The real holdup seems to be cashflow, as Moshiri is trying to finance the stadium and no longer willing to take ANY losses, FFP allowed or otherwise.

No one knows why we didnt invest the Gordon cash in January mate its all speculation.

The glass half full viewpoint is the club were holding it back to help towards covering the TV money loss if we had gone down which probably was the smart thing to do when you look at Saints having spent £50m to still go down.

Throw in the Kean money I'll be shocked if there isn't a few bob to spend this summer. I would imagine any business will be after 1st July.
We know if we look at the accounts we are still losing money

…no idea what this post means, looks like a cheap comment with no reasoning. Evertonians seem pragmatic about our situation and fed up at paying extraordinary amounts for ordinary footballers.

From what I’ve seen on here, posters were content with links to low-priced defensive midfielders. Indeed, most of the outcry was paying £30m+ for a striker.

Strange how some want to put our fans down.
He is correct though, the response here to players we are linked with is very often silly.
Moreover when you think of the position we are I

GOT is not the place to go to if you want a reasonable assessment of a player.

Weve already sold Gordon for a huge profit in this accounting period and reinvested nothing.

If we genuinely need another big sale this month to help the accounts, then we really are in enormous trouble financially
It could be a case of over the three-year rolling cycle, we had to get ourselves under before the strategy of being prudent has an impact - e.g. acceptable loss.

In terms of what we've got to spend, nobody really knows - up to now, it's speculation. The window hasn't even opened yet, but the panic has set in for some.

There are something like eighty-one days left before the window shuts, although people are jumping at the 'lack of activity' and making wild conclusions.

I personally do think it'll be another year of being constrained, but so did I last year, and we brought in Onana, McNeil, Gueye, Tarkowski and Maupay.

If we need to sell to really rejuvenate the squad, well that'll what will happen. While we may not like the situation, I ain't putting too much thought into it yet.

If we're in the middle of August and things aren't looking great, it's then I will start worrying.

Possibly, but im bemused by the lack of ambition from our fans.

Moan none stop when we're signing players like Maupay, Gray, Mcneil etc. but when someone suggests a decent level player its:

"He aint coming ere lad"

"Put the crack pipe down"

"We're shopping in the bargain basement for freebies"
It’s not lack of ambition, it’s absolute realism, do you really want to see the club wind up in administration just so you can see big money signings/ex players back on loan in the team?

Chelsea could make Dominic Calvert-Lewin Everton bid - Journalist​

Former Bleacher Report journalist Dean Jones has predicted Chelsea to make a bid for Everton striker Dominic Calvert-Lewin during the summer transfer window.

The Telegraph reported in 2022 (June 7) that Everton wouldn’t entertain an offer lower than £50million for the 26-year-old striker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back