Summer transfer window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, that was odd. He got played in some tough spots but not in some more straightforward ones.
And the straightforward ones were games we really needed someone to poach a goal while we were on top of the game. Just not smart imo.

On top of it maybe helping us win matches it would have told us more about Simms.

Worrying that. I have suspected all along that he would be the one to go, but surely we need to push for more than £55m? Particularly as we owe Lille 20-30% sell-on fee don't we?!
He says that Everton want to recover £55 million, that could infer that without the sell on fee included. So it could be we are looking for somewhere just over the £60 million mark.

Not as bad then, but still need to drive the price up. The way Chelsea throw the cash about, I would be upset if we accepted less than £65m.
I’m not sure we get 65 but it would be weird to be asking for 55, surely you ask 65 but settle on 55.

I’d like more too but it’s a bit of a buyers market for midfielders this summer, lots of options for the big clubs available, so I’d settle at 55 to get it done quickly. It’s not a huge profit, but as much as I like the fella there’s areas of his game that don’t look like a 30m player so a decent profit after 12 months is still good.

Yeah you're right since he isn't as good as the guy on track to be the best striker ever we should just move on.

I mean this is the whole problem we have here. We're going to use results based thinking (we didn't get relegated so Dyche did good things and made correct decisions essentially) which doesn't have to be true and on top of that the results we're using as proof actually stunk!

…but you can’t keep youngsters for the sake of it. Blame Dyche, Lampard, Benitez and Ancelotti for not playing Simms but they did it for a reason. I can write a view on the lad because I’ve taken the trouble to watch him in the Academy and on loan. I’m in agreement with the managers who have decided not to use him.

I repeat, regardless of what you think of Dyche we are in serious trouble next season if we use Simms as back-up to DCL. Very few Academy players are good enough to make the step-up, especially forwards where the skill set is special. You can’t force them to be what they are not.

Last edited:

I think it's similar to Richarlison and while that worked out fine it wasn't a bargain. Like Richarlison it's also possible he maxes out short of that 20 G+A mark and at that price it is fine and nothing more.

I'd go cheaper and ideally higher upside. Johnson has played 150 first team games. Guys don't get a ton better after that much time playing more often than not.
Maybe at 28/29 he’s 22 and was playing league 1 football 3 seasons ago championship then premier league I can’t imagine he’s finished developing as a player think at least another 2 years until you’re maybe seeing the best of him showed last season he can play in the premier league if we could sign I’d be happy with that.

…but you can’t keep youngsters for the sake of it. Blame Dyche, Lampard, Benitez and Ancelotti for not playing Simms but they did it for a reason. I can write a view on the lad because I’ve taken the trouble to watch him in the Academy and on loan. I’m in agreement with the managers who have decided not to use him.

I repeat, regardless of what you think of Dyche we are in serious trouble next season if we use Simms as back-up to DCL. Very few Academy players are good enough to make the step-up, especially forwards where the skill set is special. You can’t force them to be what they are not.
Yeah I'm just not prepared to say he's not.

And we obviously need another striker but Simms is the perfect third striker tbh. I guess maybe Cannon too so keeping him would work. It's just too much certainty that a guy who most always scores goals can't score goals imo. His one goal this year was special!

Maybe at 28/29 he’s 22 and was playing league 1 football 3 seasons ago championship then premier league I can’t imagine he’s finished developing as a player think at least another 2 years until you’re maybe seeing the best of him showed last season he can play in the premier league if we could sign I’d be happy with that.
I'm not wagering 30m on it personally the same as in reverse I wasn't turning down the money to bet on it with Gordon.

Is a blunt but, fair assessment.
If Ipswich have made a bid for him, it'd be nice if we could squeeze £5m from them for him.
If he goes there, he'll pair up with Nathan Broadhead and probably form a decent strike partnership for a team in the Championship.

Is a blunt but, fair assessment.
If Ipswich have made a bid for him, it'd be nice if we could squeeze £5m from them for him.
If he goes there, he'll pair up with Nathan Broadhead and probably form a decent strike partnership for a team in the Championship.

….Cannon is more of an unknown quantity. I already put Cannon ahead of Simms because we don’t know enough just yet. I think he’s more a ‘Vydra’ type than a conventional CF, but Dyche might just use him off the bench.

Last edited:

….Cannon is more of an unknown quantity. I already put Cannon ahead of Simms because we don’t know enough just yet.
Tom Cannon appears to be considerably more mobile than Ellis Simms - that could be key factor in whether he becomes part of the first team squad this coming season.

Tom Cannon appears to be considerably more mobile than Ellis Simms - that could be key factor in whether he becomes part of the first team squad this coming season.
We have always loved someone who runs around and doesn't do much. That'll give him a leg up on Ellis for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back