Super Lee Carsley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carsley is doing fine this season and will do till the end of the season. Myself(incase Neville gets injured) I would rather invest in an out and out right back to save me touching cloth everytime a team runs at Hibbert. I know Hibbert can have the odd good game, but he outweighs them with mistakes. We need a carbon copy of Baines up our right.

Need a replacement for Cars?

Wasn't Manny Fernandes originally seen as a defensive midfielder?
Didn't Mourinho dub him Manalelé, i.e the new makalelé?
Hasn't he got the ball control and distribution for this role?

I think he just needs a fire up him and some work on his engine, and perhaps a bit of discipline to stay in position rather than racing up field to try and score - learn just to sit and break up attacks.

But these things can be trained. We are going to be playing manny on the left for a bit as cars is still doing a job. If we bought arshavin (who can play as a winger) it was give us more depth there and we could think about manny as a long term cars replacement (provided it works out this year)

See I completely agree with you, lets wait till the end of season, Ghost wants ti done this window. I would much rather the money saved and spent during a period where players can be bedded in properly.

I thought we should have done last season, he's a little too old to be the main main in defensive midfield position.

I guess it comes down to a question, will 5th place do? Or do you want 4th.

Shoot for the stars and you may reach the moon. (won't say that again this month) :)

Need a replacement for Cars?

Wasn't Manny Fernandes originally seen as a defensive midfielder?
Didn't Mourinho dub him Manalelé, i.e the new makalelé?
Hasn't he got the ball control and distribution for this role?

I think he just needs a fire up him and some work on his engine, and perhaps a bit of discipline to stay in position rather than racing up field to try and score - learn just to sit and break up attacks.

But these things can be trained. We are going to be playing manny on the left for a bit as cars is still doing a job. If we bought arshavin (who can play as a winger) it was give us more depth there and we could think about manny as a long term cars replacement (provided it works out this year)

Well I think he can do a job at DM, but I think many people are looking for Fernandes to be the flair going forward and not the guy to drive the team.

Jose Mourinho is no mug, if he says Manny is the next makelele then he's the next makelele. although Makelele did start out as an attacking winger didn't he?

Problem with Everton and its we thirst for players who run around putting 120% effort and nothing else.

This workhorse desire I believe comes from the 95+ era and Dogs of War, plus what happened before the 80's.

I started watching Everton in 1984, so I witnessed some great football. School of Science. So I will always want to see ability over effort. Of course I want the players to put in the effort. But I want more than that - I want skill, passing, beating players. Composure, panache.

Cars has done a job, and I am grateful. But he's like Ferguson for me. Limited in that position.

I really cant be arsed with this any more, i've actually got better things to do than have to spell out everything several times and continually re-explain myself..... which I have realised is what actually makes you tick.

Just ignore my posts and i'll do the same to you eh.

I have taken issue with a couple of things in this thread, which i've tried to explain.

1) The idea that Carsley need replacing now, when he is playing really well.
2) The notion that he is the weak link in our side, when the side performs consistently better with him in it.
3) The idea that somehow he is hindering our "progress" in the short term, When we are on course for a second consecutive season fighting for Euro qualification
4) Dont forget the comparison to Vinny bleeding Jones

Re "The real world" comments:
1) Players who could be considered better than Carsley are like gold dust, and priced accordingly
2) The players we've brought in, and dont forget Lescott, Jagielka, and the rest, just backs up my point that we've probably not got much left in the kitty.
3) We have Pienaar and Fernandes on loan, lets assume "the Fernandes money" is earmarked for buying one or both of them. After all without both of them our depth in midfield looks shocking.

My personal view is that for now, I'd much rather have Jags or Neville covering for Carsley than have them playing alongside Carsley (or his replacement as cover for, say, an injured Mikel Arteta...

I have said on here for a long time we need to find an successor for Carsley, look back through to some of my first posts on this forum. But he continues to impress me with his performances and longevity.

Finally I would consider a second consecutive season in contention for the European spots as progress. And I can accept, and even enjoy, the fact that we are doing it in a slower but more "dignified" fashion, rather than throwing money we dont have at a problem we havent yet got.

Bluewoo, you just knocked the ball out of the park (an American baseball term) with that post.

In fact, the ball's still flying.

Unless Moyes is willing AND able to spend 8M+ for the defensive midfielder that would be a worthwhile upgrade over Carsley, it isn't happening. Why? Because there aren't any upgrades over what Carsley does for us at 4M. That's the transfer market for you.

And Cold Nate, loved your analogy although I'm not much of an American Football fan but I do know what they're talking about because I saw that happen in my own amateur soccer career when I hit 37 or 38 years old. The legs went quick.

My anticipation was fantastic but I couldn't get there quick enough. :lol:

Well you and I certainly have one thing in common Ghost and that is that we are both thrilled that Everton went out and brought Fernandes back.

I'm telling you that's gonna make a huge difference in the 2nd half.

Gotta love it !!!

Well I think he can do a job at DM, but I think many people are looking for Fernandes to be the flair going forward and not the guy to drive the team.

In a 4-4-2 he can be the box2box midfielder we want. In a 4-5-1 he can do the holding job but distribute well on top - giving us more possession and putting less pressure on the defenders.

Everyone wins.

We just need to make sure he can play there by getting enough wingers in.

Arshavin could compete with arteta and pienaar (and VDM if pigs fly) out on the wings.

Could also provide competition for
Cahill and Ossie to play attacking midfield.

Don't think we need another DM now.

Although in dreamland throwing Steven Appiah into that midfield would be nice.

But he'd improve any midfield.

Yeah totally agree. Thanks Cars, but we need to move on up.

Appiah is apparently [Poor language removed]. Got a blood clot and has had his contracted suspended by Fern.

Yeah totally agree. Thanks Cars, but we need to move on up.

Appiah is apparently [Poor language removed]. Got a blood clot and has had his contracted suspended by Fern.

Yes but like you mentioned earlier, if Appiah ended up being another Kanu type situation and he turns out to be healthy, maybe there's an opportunity there.

Of course. But we can speculate who we want and what we need. Moyes is the man who knows. Reading from what he has said he isn't going to buy anyone, but he may look at another loan - but only if Gravesen goes back.

Are they allowed to suspend his wages due to a medical condition?

I mean I could understand if he got boozed up and went out and cracked up his car and got hurt in the process...

...but suspending wages over that? If an American sports team tried to keep from paying a player over something like that, they'd be in a bit of trouble. A contract is guaranteed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back