Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course. My point is that they own a major news outlet, they will publish things to look after their own interest.

Sure the Telegraph is a conservative leaning paper, but is far from being a dogmatic, "We'll support you ever more" cheerleader for the Tories. Their headline argues they should make a firm 2% of GDP spending commitment, and their Editorial has a go at the way Miliband was attacked by Fallon yesterday.

But it is broadly sympathetic to them as a whole, I would agree.

Ed gave a speach the other day about how labour want to reward hard work. The mansion tax completely contradicts this.

Someone works hard and makes money doing so and then they are penalised for owning a mansion. I don't see that as rewarding hard work.

Tax is not a penalty. Those with more should be willing to contribute more. People who live in 2m+ houses generally have worked no harder than you or I.

Tax is not a penalty. Those with more should be willing to contribute more. People who live in 2m+ houses generally have worked no harder than you or I.

I don't see why someone who buys a 2m+ house with hard earned money should be taxed more because the house they choose to buy is exspensive.

Ok. Two similar families work hard and buy a nice house. Not mega rich, but comfortable.

One buys a 3 bed semi in, say, Reading. One buys a 3 bed semi in say Preston.

10 years later, whilst doing similar jobs, and earning similar amounts of money, why should one pay a tax on the value of his house, and the other one shouldnt?

Dont get the logic nor fairness of it.

Ok. Two similar families work hard and buy a nice house. Not mega rich, but comfortable.

One buys a 3 bed semi in, say, Reading. One buys a 3 bed semi in say Preston.

10 years later, whilst doing similar jobs, and earning similar amounts of money, why should one pay a tax on the value of his house, and the other one shouldnt?

Dont get the logic nor fairness of it.

Did they buy them for around the same price? Has one house gained value because of where it is? They should pay tax because tomorrow one of the families could sell the house for over 2 million quid and the other family couldn't. As you said, they both worked equally as hard.

You could use the same scenario and ask why one family suddenly have 2m+ and the other doesn't.

Did they buy them for around the same price? Has one house gained value because of where it is? They should pay tax because tomorrow one of the families could sell the house for over 2 million quid and the other family couldn't. As you said, they both worked equally as hard.

You could use the same scenario and ask why one family suddenly have 2m+ and the other doesn't.

Then levy a tax on when they sell it then, not because of where it is.

Ed gave a speach the other day about how labour want to reward hard work. The mansion tax completely contradicts this.

I think it's a crap policy for economic reasons more than anything else, but it isn't directly contradictory to rewarding hard work. There are any number of reasons why someone might have a £2m+ house, and hard work is probably one of the less likely IMO.

This is one thing the Tories have right, actually. A land value tax would be more progressive and would raise more revenue.

I think it's a crap policy for economic reasons more than anything else, but it isn't directly contradictory to rewarding hard work. There are any number of reasons why someone might have a £2m+ house, and hard work is probably one of the less likely IMO.

This is one thing the Tories have right, actually. A land value tax would be more progressive and would raise more revenue.

I agree but there will be people who work really really hard to get their mansion and I think if your saying you reward hard work, you can't then go ahead and tax the people who worked really hard to own those mansions. Simply because they own a mansion.

Then levy a tax on when they sell it then, not because of where it is.

That's what the proposal is. You pay per month on it if you earn silly money. Otherwise the tax is deducted when you sell it, and quite rightfully so.

I agree but there will be people who work really really hard to get their mansion and I think if your saying you reward hard work, you can't then go ahead and tax the people who worked really hard to own those mansions.

There is only so much 'hard work' you can give to own a mansion or whatever. We all work as hard as anybody but will probably never own one. Much of it is to do with luck, inheritance, or being rich to begin with.

I have no affiliation to any political party and nor would i ever blindly support one. My points revolve around the fact that they are all as bad as each other, you attack the tories for this, there is a counter argument for something stupid or disgraceful Labour and the lib dems have done, same goes for all the leaders.

Its depressing and it needs changing.

It's a funny old time and no mistake. It used to be that parties would clamour for the centre ground as it was usually that which won elections. This time round though Labour have veered left because of the Greens and SNP, whilst the Tories have veered right because of UKIP.

The only vaguely centrist party (LibDems) have been hammered in the polls. Not sure it's at all healthy for things to be so polarised. Hopefully it's just for show and they agree on much more than they're letting on.

That's what the proposal is. You pay per month on it if you earn silly money. Otherwise the tax is deducted when you sell it, and quite rightfully so.

And that is one of the flaws in the policy. With Balls running around saying it will raise £2b and he will spend this on this and that, he cant actually force people to sell a house can he?

So it is a stupid policy if the idea is to raise real money to spend on real things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back