Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tories largest party but well short of 326 > they cant make up the shortfall even with LD votes and they daren't bring the toxicity of UKIP and DUP politics into the heart of government > Labour Party come to an understanding with the SNP (short of a formal deal) and lead a minority government > second election within a year thereafter.

Sounds about right.

I am still at a loss why that was ever thought to be a good idea that one. In a purely political context. Poll Tax on speed imo.

Ideologically it is fine, if the aim was to redistribute people more efficiently within sparse social housing, with those who wont move being fined and noone who can't move due to there being nowhere more appropriate to move them to being fined as a result, then I doubt many people could object to it.

In practice however it a complete and utter f up and nothing has been done to correct it unfortunately.

I joined GOT while this election thread was alive and well. After the election, will there still be a politics thread in the ale house section? It is the best thread going.

Dunno. It wont be locked on the 8th of May I dont think. But Politics/Religion has been a touchy subject in Mod Central for a while. It is a credit to you lot that this one has been conducted in a good, mainly, spirit. Hence stayed open.

So it isnt really down to us.

Over to you.

Dunno. It wont be locked on the 8th of May I dont think. But Politics/Religion has been a touchy subject in Mod Central for a while. It is a credit to you lot that this one has been conducted in a good, mainly, spirit. Hence stayed open.

So it isnt really down to us.

Over to you.

It's down to EFCNIK being banned.

Ideologically it is fine, if the aim was to redistribute people more efficiently within sparse social housing, with those who wont move being fined and noone who can't move due to there being nowhere more appropriate to move them to being fined as a result, then I doubt many people could object to it.

In practice however it a complete and utter f up and nothing has been done to correct it unfortunately.

Be better off building more affordable housing imo. But I could have posted that in 1976, if the internet had been invented.

Be better off building more affordable housing imo. But I could have posted that in 1976, if the internet had been invented.

That is one of the subjects that has bugged and bugged me with this coalition and the previous government. They should have found a way to help councils build new modern council housing for rent rather than the millions put into help to buy for example.

The state is doing all sorts of things I disagree with already, things much more troubling than taxation (really, have you seen citizenfour?). But does redistributing wealth more fairly mean that the state is de facto more powerful? I don't see the logic in that argument.

Also, you've already conceeded that the rise of the multinationals has had a significant effect on wealth redistribution away from the poorest towards the richest. As the century wears on, they will undoubtedly grow and grow in political power. Who would you rather was "in charge" - an elected government or some rapacious, boundary-straddling, unaccountable wealth-syphoning multinational?

There was a study reviewed in the Economist a couple of weeks back that I meant to post up but forgot. It was comparing inequality in Britain and Sweden, and suggested a part of the reason why it's larger here is because our employers tend to be larger (ie more employees) than their Swedish counterparts. Can dig it out if you're interested.

I agree completely, it is such an obvious need for the country and yet successive tory and labour governments have refused to see this. Unfortunately long termism doesn't exist in either party, no point in building a load of cheap homes at your governments expense when you could be voted out in a couple of years.

Where is a benevolant dictator when you need one.

That is one of the subjects that has bugged and bugged me with this coalition and the previous government. They should have found a way to help councils build new modern council housing for rent rather than the millions put into help to buy for example.

Absolutely.

I honestly don't think they will see the numbers, even if the Tories finish 6 or 7 points ahead of Labour. If the election outcome was true to the current polls (which it won't be, but it won't be too far off), Tories and Lib Dems would fall about 25 seats short.

You cant directly translate the current polls to seats, though. It largely depends on where those votes fall.

The Lib Dems for example could lose loads of wavering votes from last time but retain many of their strong seats.

I agree completely, it is such an obvious need for the country and yet successive tory and labour governments have refused to see this. Unfortunately long termism doesn't exist in either party, no point in building a load of cheap homes at your governments expense when you could be voted out in a couple of years.

Isn't half the problem with housing that local councils have control over local planning, and NIMBYISM is rife? I suppose central government could change/remove the greenbelt, but even that would be contentious. You only have to look at how long Heathrow has been debated for.

Can't say I can recall such an ainmal, have any of the dictators currently in power or in the past been benevolent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back