Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the disgraceful bit. There is no reason why anyone should be paid more than say £1M per year and certainly no reason why anyone could amass £1000M.....but of course we allow footballers to earn £6-10M per year and boxers and racing drivers to earn even more........the crap about they would move away doesn't wash with me.....let them go and let someone else earn what they would have got..........

Do you think that the government should do anything to redress the balance?

I'm far from an expert so maybe those that are can help out. My other half (a nurse) regularly gets text messages asking if she wants to do shifts, with most of those texts giving less than 24 hours notice. Suffice to say, there's no guarantee of work or any of that, but there does appear to be no shortage of offers.

Does that class as a zero hour contract? If it does then it seems like the NHS is one of the main users of them.

I'm far from an expert so maybe those that are can help out. My other half (a nurse) regularly gets text messages asking if she wants to do shifts, with most of those texts giving less than 24 hours notice. Suffice to say, there's no guarantee of work or any of that, but there does appear to be no shortage of offers.

Does that class as a zero hour contract? If it does then it seems like the NHS is one of the main users of them.

Presumably your partner has an employment contract guaranteeing get a certain amount of hours? If so, it's not a zero hours contract.

It is okay to guarantee say 16 hours per week and offer the shifts on a slightly more ad hoc basis so long as there is the contractual obligation to provide those hours.

Presumably your partner has an employment contract guaranteeing get a certain amount of hours? If so, it's not a zero hours contract.

It is okay to guarantee say 16 hours per week and offer the shifts on a slightly more ad hoc basis so long as there is the contractual obligation to provide those hours.

Not with the trust that was requesting her for shifts, no. It was bank work, so there was/is no guarantee of any hours, nor any expectation that you have to accept a set number of hours.

Not with the trust that was requesting her for shifts, no. It was bank work, so there was/is no guarantee of any hours, nor any expectation that you have to accept a set number of hours.
Bank work is different I think Bruce, sorry if im wrong but with my local Hospital I can sign up to do bank work, the understanding is you will get offered hours when there is a need for you but you are under no contractual obligation to work the hours offered.... a kind of overtime thing I suppose.

Bank work is different I think Bruce, sorry if im wrong but with my local Hospital I can sign up to do bank work, the understanding is you will get offered hours when there is a need for you but you are under no contractual obligation to work the hours offered.... a kind of overtime thing I suppose.

But there's no requirement for you to be in full-time work is there? Mine did bank work whilst she was studying too. Does kind of sound very similar to zero hours.

To be honest, it's not a bad way to earn a living if you can handle the relative uncertainty. The pay seems much higher and there never seems a shortage of work.

Sports Direct, stores in every Town and City across the land, 15,000 staff on ZHC, Why?, because full-time and part-time empoyee's have a lot more rights that ZHC workers have.

It's wrong, and Ashley aint the only large employer doing it.

Britain's five richest families worth more than poorest 20 ...

"In a report, a Tale of Two Britains, Oxfam said the poorest 20% in the UK had wealth totalling £28.1bn – an average of £2,230 each. The latest rich list from Forbes magazine showed that the five top UK entries – the family of the Duke of Westminster, David and Simon Reuben, the Hinduja brothers, the Cadogan family, and Sports Direct retail boss Mike Ashley – between them had property, savings and other assets worth £28.2bn".

I can't actually remember you criticising Osborne. Nowhere near the level you criticise Balls, which is strange because Balls has never been Chancellor. In fact, remember this?

Cough

If you had the ability to comprehend what i'd written you'd see it's actually a stinging attack on Osbourne. But you know, what ever suits your blinkered agenda.

Well I am pleased you accept it is an entirely subjective piece.

There's a huge difference between reporting and opinion writing.

Yes there is, but facts are facts regardless. You seem to like facts that attack the conservatives and discredit those that attack labour. I like facts that attack them both.

I don't think it's disgraceful. It's just how much money is in football these days. It's not like the government pays them.

You could say the same about bankers and banking.......its this attitude of believing it's OK for footballers etc that promotes inequalities........

This is the disgraceful bit. There is no reason why anyone should be paid more than say £1M per year and certainly no reason why anyone could amass £1000M.....but of course we allow footballers to earn £6-10M per year and boxers and racing drivers to earn even more........the crap about they would move away doesn't wash with me.....let them go and let someone else earn what they would have got..........

Why on earth should someone not be paid more than £1m a year? It's a ludicrous opinion. You know the Bentely's, Ferrari and Mercedes that the rich drive, the boats they buy and hire, the airlines, hotels and services they use all support vast number of jobs for the working class right? You don't think an Aston Martin is built in a factory with a workforce of Eton educated toffs don you?

I agree that more money needs to filter down but to start suggesting successful people shouldn't be able to earn big money is dangerous, especially when these type of people underpin so many industries and jobs around the globe.

Why on earth should someone not be paid more than £1m a year? It's a ludicrous opinion. You know the Bentely's, Ferrari and Mercedes that the rich drive, the boats they buy and hire, the airlines, hotels and services they use all support vast number of jobs for the working class right? You don't think an Aston Martin is built in a factory with a workforce of Eton educated toffs don you?

I agree that more money needs to filter down but to start suggesting successful people shouldn't be able to earn big money is dangerous, especially when these type of people underpin so many industries and jobs around the globe.

I'm sure no-one else is really interested in you and I arguing but please point out the facts in the article you presented.

I have no problem with successful people earning lots of money. But what is successful ? People starting new businesses and employing people deserve success, run of the mill footballers earning millions do not. Nobody actually needs more than £1M per year. It is nice to have all the toys etc, but it's not actually needed to enjoy a great life. It just becomes greed for greeds sake.........

You could say the same about bankers and banking.......its this attitude of believing it's OK for footballers etc that promotes inequalities........

Football is a business though. And there's billions of pounds in the business. Doctors deserve that money more than footballers, but they haven't got a TV crew filming them, they haven't got fans coming to watch them, they havent got sponsors from companies etc. Which is where the money comes from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back