Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no problem with successful people earning lots of money. But what is successful ? People starting new businesses and employing people deserve success, run of the mill footballers earning millions do not. Nobody actually needs more than £1M per year. It is nice to have all the toys etc, but it's not actually needed to enjoy a great life. It just becomes greed for greeds sake.........

Ok, then we agree, of sorts, but cannot put a cap on what someone can earn because largely footballers are not in control of what they earn and their careers are very short , around 12 years. Also the vast majority of footballers don't earn anything like £1million per year.

There are strong financial arguments that Ronaldo and Messi are proving to be bargains for their respected clubs but i do know what you mean about run of the mill footballers, but, in all honesty i really don't blame them. Everyone tries to maximise their earning potential and if clubs are stupid enough to offer the money, then it's not the footballers fault. They can only get paid what someone is willing to pay them.

I'm sure no-one else is really interested in you and I arguing but please point out the facts in the article you presented.

If you need them pointing out to you then i'm afraid i can't help you. You'd vote Labour even if they threatened to nuke the UK, that is clear. I'd prefer to debate things with people who have an open mind and are not led by blinkered political agendas.

If you need them pointing out to you then i'm afraid i can't help you. You'd vote Labour even if they threatened to nuke the UK, that is clear. I'd prefer to debate things with people who have an open mind and are not led by blinkered political agendas.

And again. Why ruin a really good, intelligent thread with personal attacks?

You could say the same about bankers and banking.......its this attitude of believing it's OK for footballers etc that promotes inequalities........

I think there is a distinction to be made here Pete.

The problem with bankers earnings over recent years is that they have been rewarded with vast sums for taking risks which have backfired and they have basically abused their powers for personal profits at the detriment of ordinary people.

With footballers, the top earners (e.g. Premier league and championship players) represent a very small percentage, i.e. they are the most talented players out of millions of aspiring people in a vastly rich industry. Accordingly, they carry an enormous amount of economic power, because they can make football clubs more profitable by attracting fans, TV deals, etc.

As a hypothetical situation, if you were self-employed and you designed and sold millions of a certain product, and made millions of pounds, do you think that should be capped? If not, why begrudge someone who is worth that much to an entity having their salary capped? Who decides what constitutes a reputable job to earn bigger sums?

I see your point but I think it raises more questions than answers.

I have to say the UKIP manifesto is pretty Damn good.

It was described on radio 4 yesterday as being 'a greatest hits compilation of Labour, Conservative and Lib Dem policies'.

There is a good article on the guardian describing why it is very much unachievable financially though.

Please remember that regardless of our political persuasions on here, we're all Evertonians, so lets keep things civil :)

Please remember that regardless of our political persuasions on here, we're all Evertonians, so lets keep things civil :)

I'm being perfectly civil, i'm expressing my personal opinion. We are all grown ups (i think) and talks of 'personal attacks' and 'personal insults' is absolutely ludicrous. You see a hundred times worse in PMQ for god's sake lol

Some people on here must get offended several hundred times on a daily basis, need to grow a slightly thicker skin and stop being so dam precious. (n)

I'm being perfectly civil, i'm expressing my personal opinion. We are all grown ups (i think) and talks of 'personal attacks' and 'personal insults' is absolutely ludicrous. You see a hundred times worse in PMQ for god's sake lol

Some people on here must get offended several hundred times on a daily basis, need to grow a slightly thicker skin and stop being so dam precious. (n)

Ah, y'see, we aspire to slightly loftier things on here :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back