Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a reminder from 2008, when the idea of Leadership debates was being discussed in parliament, that David Cameron wrote to Gordon Brown with the following.

"Yesterday you made a speech in which you stressed your commitment to a new kind of politics.

In particular, you laid great emphasis on the need to find ways to re-engage young people.

I have long believed that a television debate between the main Party Leaders during the General Election campaign would be an excellent way to achieve that.

It would be informative and interesting. It would bring politics to life.

So I was very surprised that a day after you promised a new kind of politics, you chose to rule out such a debate.

It is true, of course, that we have the opportunity to debate matters at Prime Minister's Questions.

But that is a very different matter to a proper television debate during a General Election campaign - when Parliament is not sitting, and when people will be most receptive to engaging in political discussion.

I am sure, on reflection, that you will want to re-consider your position."

Yet, just like the Conservatives, Miliband and Balls continually refuse to state where they are going to get the money from to support their manifesto promises.

I think this election is an absolute sham unless all parties disclose the specifics of the financial strategies (if indeed they can, which i suspect Labour cannot and the Conservatives can, but know it would be deeply unpopular).

The Conservatives have been the party most guilty of plucking figures from the air (not including the Greens) so far this campaign.

UKIP have fully costed their manifesto. Had it independently verified too. Perhaps not half as amateurish as some would have you believe.

UKIP have fully costed their manifesto. Had it independently verified too. Perhaps not half as amateurish as some would have you believe.

Indeed. Good to see effort put into the figures, even if I believe they wouldn't implement half of it if given the chance, but that's subjective.

The problem is pretty much every other thing about them really. Unfortunate. If you could remove the obvious racism and LGBT discrimination then they may actually have a platform to build on. As it is, one or two seats in parliament at best chaps.

Indeed. Good to see effort put into the figures, even if I believe they wouldn't implement half of it if given the chance, but that's subjective.

The problem is pretty much every other thing about them really. Unfortunate. If you could remove the obvious racism and LGBT discrimination then they may actually have a platform to build on. As it is, one or two seats in parliament at best chaps.

And that's one or two too many in my opinion.

Shame they stand for pretty much everything that is wrong in humankind.

One of their pledges is to do away with the wholly unfair 'bedroom tax'. Perhaps not as bad as the mainstream press would have you believe? Do they have racist members, YES, does every other party? Probably.

Whether it's true or just an image they don't strike me as the type to be charging to have their MOAT cleaned?

This, although I try not to agree with drunkards too frequently.

Money can not be a valid end in itself as it's infinite.

I have no problem with successful people earning lots of money. But what is successful ? People starting new businesses and employing people deserve success, run of the mill footballers earning millions do not. Nobody actually needs more than £1M per year. It is nice to have all the toys etc, but it's not actually needed to enjoy a great life. It just becomes greed for greeds sake.........

One of their pledges is to do away with the wholly unfair 'bedroom tax'. Perhaps not as bad as the mainstream press would have you believe? Do they have racist members, YES, does every other party? Probably.

Whether it's true or just an image they don't strike me as the type to be charging to have their MOAT cleaned?

I think UKIP is often painted racist unfairly. There is definitely a media bias agaisnt them too.

And Hitler's welfare programmes were unprecedented in how beneficial they were to the German public

Not from the policies I've read.

I don't think any party can come out and be outwardly racist (although they do a pretty good job of it) and get lots of votes. They have to be masked in some form. In The case of UKIP, I think it's done through their 'concern' of immigration levels. They use scaremongering tactics to get the public on their side.

It isn't a coincidence that they have had to fire multiple members for racist remarks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back