Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The billions of wasted NHS cash no-one wants to mention ...

NHS | We Own It

Private health firms pocket £18 million a day from the NHS ...

The further privatisation of the NHS will not be good for people's health or well-being. Many private health care providers would not have started up, or survived, without public money.

If a private company wants to open a hospital or a GP surgery, then borrow the money from the financial market, get it built, hire the staff that will be paid for by the provider, offer the service and then charge for it like any other company. But in the world of the expansion of NHS privatisation, private companies are allowed to take over existing hospitals or other buildings, paid for by the tax payer, and charge the tax payer for providing the service from a previously publicly owned building. Health means money for ......

The research looking into Lords and MPs connections to private healthcare through the register of interests is complete. Below are listed some of the key findings. Research into the murky and dangerous Health and Social Care bill is ongoing and more facts will be added here as and when they arise.

• 225 parliamentarians have recent or present financial private healthcare connections
  • 145 Lords have recent or present financial connections to companies or individuals involved in healthcare
  • 124 Peers benefit from the financial services sector
  • 1 in 4 Conservative Peers have recent or present financial connections to companies or individuals involved in healthcare
  • 1 in 6 Labour Peers have recent or present financial connections to companies or individuals involved in healthcare
  • 1 in 6 Crossbench Peers have recent or present financial connections to companies or individuals involved in healthcare
  • 1 in 10 Liberal Democrat Peers have recent or present financial connections to companies or individuals involved in healthcare
  • 75 MPs have recent or present financial links to companies or individuals involved in private healthcare
  • 81% of these are Conservative
  • 4 Key members of the Associate Parliamentary Health Group have parliamentarians with financial connections to companies or individuals involved in healthcare
  • 4 Patrons of the pro-reform think tank 2020health have Peers with private healthcare links
  • Nearly 40% of the most powerful individuals in healthcare are from companies with links to Lords and MPs.
  • 4 MPs and 1 Lord have worked for Huntsworth Health, run by a Peer who gave money to Cameron’s leadership campaign
  • 25 of the Finalists in the HealthInvestors Awards 2012 have parliamentarians connected to them
  • 2 companies, DACBeachcroft, Cumberlege Connections, which have Lords as a partner and as an owner respectively, moved themselves into a position to make money from the reforms as the Lords voted on the bill, and before the bill became Act
  • 5 organisations link to Baroness Cumberlege: Her company, Cumberlege Connections, Associate Parliamentary Health Group, 2020health, Huntsworth plc, MJM, healthcare solutions
  • 19 Lords and MPs have financial links to Pharmaceutical giant GlaxoSmithKline
  • 9 Lords and MPs have received payment from a company run by Baroness Cumberlege, called Cumberlege Connections, which is a healthcare training and political networking company
  • 1 – the amount of times the BBC challenged Andrew Lansley in the last three years on his donation received to fund his private office when shadow health minister from John Nash the chairman of Care UK. Mr Nash was made a Lord.
  • All were able to vote on the Health and Social Care bill (now Act), despite having a prejudicial interest, which would not have been allowed at local council level

The lead up to the elections coming in peak exam/coursework season is proving difficult, because all I want to do is read, read and read about it and it's killing me!

Very basically, as one of the centre-left, I had been looking at the Green Party and thinking that they may come out, add some credibility to themselves and take a bit of momentum. They really haven't, they have missed their golden opportunity.

I was beginning to give up on Labour, however over the past four weeks I've been impressed by Ed, the manifesto and its policies - it did take them the best part of four years to come up with any! Picking up speed, I think they will be the biggest party.

The Conservatives (would never take my vote anyway) have not done anything to impress me and I think they are losing momentum. Cameron is going before the media a lot less than Ed and does not seem as keen to defend his record. Every policy seems built to win back UKIP supporters and Osborne made a tool out of himself on Sunday and created the impression that they are unsure of their own plans. Their campaigning is largely negative and personal - it isn't turning anybody on to them.

I have a soft spot for the Liberal Democrats and even believe Clegg made the coalition more compassionate, however I don't feel he is going to take any traditional votes off the big two. They will do well to keep 75% of their seats. There is nothing Clegg can say that will turn people back on to them.

UKIP are tosh. Poorly managed, particularly poorly stage-managed. I hope they do take a seat or three - particularly that Farage wins in Thanet, because I would like to see them damage the Tories this time around and begin to build a record in Parliament that will demonstrate what they stand for - most of their voters have no clue what they like apart from a moderate hatred of foreigners. They are just as nasty beneath the surface.

Voting Labour as things stand. I have concerns that Ed is just not the character people desire - airbrushed and Etonian - however I do think he will make a better leader than most expect.

How are you finding it sir?
A very good, balanced view, I like it.

Ed could be a decent leader domestically but I just cannot imagine him standing up for this country on the global stage.

I might be mistaken, but isn't the 'theme' of the debate tonight the challengers? In other words, Cameron doesn't qualify to participate as he's the incumbent.

No idea if he's wrangled things to be that way like as the whole thing kind of bores me to tears. You've got the manifestos all out in the open now. What more do you need?

Ed could be a decent leader domestically but I just cannot imagine him standing up for this country on the global stage.

I think this is a popular view but why? Is it just an impression he gives?

I think David Cameron has embarrassed the country on many occasions with his behaviour in Europe. Most of the European heads of states can't stand him throwing his toys out of the pram. Miliband is a lot more of a pragmatic team player where Europe is concerned.

On the immigration point - irrespective of whether a cap on immigration is considered racist, can this country really cope with a continued influx year after year? Net migration was just shy of 300,000 last year. That's 300k more users of our roads, schools, hospitals etc.

Folk have been saying regarding the buy-to-let policy that we need more houses and it's terrible that people are crammed into small premises. But how can we ever get a handle on it if the population continues to grow? Not to mention an increasing elderly population, birth rate, advances in cancer research helping people live longer etc.

I just can't see how it's sustainable long term.

I think this is a popular view but why? Is it just an impression he gives?

I think David Cameron has embarrassed the country on many occasions with his behaviour in Europe. Most of the European heads of states can't stand him throwing his toys out of the pram. Miliband is a lot more of a pragmatic team player where Europe is concerned.
Yes, I'm afraid it's purely an image problem. The geeky voice, the awkward mannerisms. I have grown to like the guy a bit more as a human being during this campaign, but I feel he just doesn't look the part. Shallow, perhaps, but I'm sure it's a common perception of him.

Yes, I'm afraid it's purely an image problem. The geeky voice, the awkward mannerisms. I have grown to like the guy a bit more as a human being during this campaign, but I feel he just doesn't look the part. Shallow, perhaps, but I'm sure it's a common perception of him.

I find him utterly unconvincing. Not arsed what he looks like, or how he eats a sarnie, but his faux sincerity in his speeches just does my nut. I know they all talk mostly bobbins, but he just does it badly in my book.

Like politically, I was not a fan of Kinncok nor Foot, nor Brown for that matter, but they could play "I really do give a stuff about what I am saying" card pretty darned well. Browns referendum speech was one of the best political speeches I have heard for years and years. It was just superb.

On the immigration point - irrespective of whether a cap on immigration is considered racist, can this country really cope with a continued influx year after year? Net migration was just shy of 300,000 last year. That's 300k more users of our roads, schools, hospitals etc.

Folk have been saying regarding the buy-to-let policy that we need more houses and it's terrible that people are crammed into small premises. But how can we ever get a handle on it if the population continues to grow? Not to mention an increasing elderly population, birth rate, advances in cancer research helping people live longer etc.

At the risk of being labelled a bad racist - the above pretty much hits the nail on the head and I'm not talking about the next five year term for whoever I'm thinking about the country that my two and a half year old daughter will have to live in twenty years from now...
*Gets Soylent Green Dvd ready*

For thou very worried about immigration, I appreciate some of the concerns you have.

You have the right to move freely in Europe too. Emigrate to somewhere where you're happier and use the system to your advantage?

Just a suggestion, something to bear in mind. I know it isn't always practicable.

Fair enough mate. I don't particularly find that to be much of a problem myself, I think substance over style is what really counts when you take away the perception of what the hyped 'world stage' actually entails.

Its only cosidered racist by idiots, most normal peaple can see there is or will be a problem. With people, liveng longer and the birth rate up we have to try and cap the population somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back