Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
God, get a grip FFS... I was only commenting from what I see in an area that I live in... my opinion has not been influenced by a political party or a newspaper... it's literally what I see with my own eyes. You don't know anything about me you blert.

Mate, we try and keep the discussion respectful in this thread. No name calling please.

If you really believed that you'd be demanding Scotland leave the Union, more money for the North

Scotland pays in far more than it gets out of the Union. It's Oil has been propping up the UK since the 70's, and the new oil fields discovered off Shetland (the discovery of which was suppressed by Cameron until after the Referendum vote) will only extend that

Well with the recent decline in oil prices Scotland would have been struggling with a black hole of some billions. As for the rest of your post it has been shown that Scottish people have been receiving on average some £1600 per head more than the rest of the UK citizens, not sure therefore where the abuse is.

The abuse is in the mind.......English "here have some free money".....Scot "fck off you scumbag English "............

If you really believed that you'd be demanding Scotland leave the Union, more money for the North

Scotland pays in far more than it gets out of the Union. It's Oil has been propping up the UK since the 70's, and the new oil fields discovered off Shetland (the discovery of which was suppressed by Cameron until after the Referendum vote) will only extend that

Hold on the oil belonged to the United Kingdom not Scotland.

Well, I'm sorry but your view that social housing is mainly for smack heads and 'girls who can't stop getting pregnant' is prejudiced and wrong.

Maybe so, but it's created a "bottleneck" for many working people trying to get a council house. Are you telling me a regular couple with low income jobs would qualify for social housing ahead of a young mother with several kids or someone with health problems (self inflicted or otherwise) or the unemployed? These low/average paid workers just have to bite the bullet and pay sky high rent for a crap house or pray they come into some money for a house deposit.

Am I missing something here? Surely the right to buy scheme is giving tenants in social housing the opportunity to buy their house for a reduced rate? So it's not depriving a 'poor' person of a home, it's merely giving a person who would be renting their home a chance to buy it.

Surely the point of welfare isn't to keep people on it indefinitely but to give them a chance to get back onto their own two feet? If that is the purpose of it then it shouldn't matter if a social tenant buys their home as that's a sign that they're in a much better place.

If you have 100 social tenants at the moment (ie demand for 100 social houses), and 20 of those decide to try and buy their home through this scheme, then yes it will take 20 social houses out of the 'system', but it will also take 20 social tenants out of the system.

Now you may well say that there isn't enough social housing to meet the demand and that more should be built, but that is a completely different issue to a scheme surely designed to help people get themselves out of welfare?

What am I missing here?

What about when the owner sells it on? The home could end up in the hands of a private landlord. This happens often. The house I am moving into in July was a council house, bought under right-to-buy, and now owned by a private landlord.

We are paying £360 per week to live in a four bedroom terraced ex-council house in Liverpool. If it was still social housing then I suspect that it would be a lot cheaper, so more affordable housing is being taken away.

So you'd be happy for Shetland to become independent from Scotland then.........

Maybe so, but it's created a "bottleneck" for many working people trying to get a council house. Are you telling me a regular couple with a low income job would qualify for social housing ahead of a young mother with several kids or someone with health problems (self inflicted or otherwise) or the unemployed? These low/average paid workers just have to bite the bullet and pay sky high rent for a crap house or pray they come into some money for a house deposit.

You're right, social housing is reserved for the most vulnerable. I believe that there should be more social housing, and if you want to live in social housing you should be able to. However, I cannot argue with the fact that the most vulnerable people in our society are housed during a housing shortage. Again, you're right, there is a massive problem with low earners struggling with housing. They are stuck in between not being able to get social housing or afford a decent place to live in. We can't blame the poor for that, though.

What about when the owner sells it on? The home could end up in the hands of a private landlord. This happens often. The house I am moving into in July was a council house, bought under right-to-buy, and now owned by a private landlord.

We are paying £360 per week to live in a four bedroom terraced ex-council house in Liverpool. If it was still social housing then I suspect that it would be a lot cheaper, so more affordable housing is being taken away.

Find it hard to believe you're paying £360 per Week.........

£360/week! Ouch!

Seems a lot. I thought rents were generally cheaper up north. For comparison, I live in a little market town in Somerset and you can rent a 4 bed detatched on a nice estate for £190/week here.

Fully agree with your point though.

You're right, social housing is reserved for the most vulnerable. I believe that there should be more social housing, and if you want to live in social housing you should be able to. However, I cannot argue with the fact that the most vulnerable people in our society are housed during a housing shortage. Again, you're right, there is a massive problem with low earners struggling with housing. They are stuck in between not being able to get social housing or afford a decent place to live in. We can't blame the poor for that, though.

Maybe I'm just a bit bitter because me and my girlfriend have had to save hard for a house deposit and you just see some people getting everything for nothing. I do realise I come across as a bit ignorant, but I do believe the most vulnerable in society should be protected... that is what the welfare system should be about. I just feel a hell of a lot of people exploit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back