Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ridiculous that nearly everything out of Farage's mouth is still about immigration. You'd think his spin doctors would of told him not too mention them and at least look like his party stands for something else.

I'm obviously watching the wrong programmes.

I don't often agree with this Tory publication but I think it explains things quite well

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffee...-the-bbc-is-biased-against-you/#disqus_thread

For a real eyeopener, the comments are worth a read too

Thanks for an interesting read mate.

That was actually excruciating to watch. Thankfully it's being presented as opinion rather than fact.

I know mate, it's horrendous.

Would it be such a bad idea to have a SUPER COALITION of Labour & Tories?

I cannot believe you English want SNP anywhere near dictating policy because it would only be to their (Scotland's/ SNP) benefit and I wouldn't want to have a hairy handed Jock with his mitts on my nuts thank you very much

Put in a like for your post because the bit in bold had me in stitches.

Put in a like for your post because the bit in bold had me in stitches.

Yes , well I don't understand how anyone English cannot (or will not) think that the SNP are very dangerous to the stability of the UK. Their raison d'etre is independence for Scotland and if they can make a bit of mischief for England at the same time, so much the better.
Sturgeon is playing a blinder because she speaks well and doesn't look smug like Salmond but she's a deadly as Rosa Kleb.

That's a different argument though isn't it? I'm not sure many are saying that the scheme is unfair to those who aren't getting any welfare and want to buy a house. The argument is that it's harming the poorest.

I'm afraid much of the UK economy is built upon rising house prices. I mean that's largely the whole point for buying a house isn't it? It just seems a bit peculiar that predominantly left leaning parties seem opposed to the concept of helping those on welfare to get on that gravy train. As I showed with my basic calculation, even if they sold the houses at 70% of market value they'd be able to build a good number of new houses to make up for any existing shortfall.

That may be the case, but again, isn't that a different issue? To use my simple example again. If right to buy doesn't exist, then the 100 existing homes are filled by 100 tenants, with the existing rent covering costs plus perhaps a little bit extra to go towards new builds, of which you may get one or two new homes for those on the waiting list.

If right to buy exists and those 20 people buy their homes, then you have the proceeds of those sales to spend on building around 14 new homes to help house those currently on the waiting list.

It seems to me that in order to build new homes you need 1) capital, and 2) land/planning permission to build. This doesn't help with the latter but surely does with the former?

Surely it's irrelevant what they do with it? Are we going to try and control what folks do with their own legally bought property now? That's akin to saying that not only is someone on welfare not allowed to buy their own home, but they're also strictly forbidden to sell that home again should someone offer more money for it.

I thought we were supposed to be helping the poor here not getting snarky if they do alright for themselves?

Bruce (without even getting into the pre-supposition that owning is intrinsically better than renting - which it isn't), is it really that hard to comprehend that any LA should have a certain amount of social housing at any one time to house those who either can't buy or don't want to buy? If the Local Authority sells to the sitting tenants, how does it cater for the needs of the next generation looking for social housing?

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back