Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Parents have the right to have as many children as they like, even if they know they cannot afford to support them without benefits, Ed Miliband has said.

I know others on this forum have debated this point so I'm sorry to bring it back up. However, I am a little confused. Piddlywiddly, you have raised this indirect quote as a criticism of Miliband. I can't understand how this could ever possibly be a criticism, unless, like others have suggested, you would rather a Chinese childbirth policy? Or perhaps controlled abortion? Please do suggest an answer to this 'problem', because as far as I can tell, Ed Miliband is just speaking an obvious point?

You would hope so. But there is no doubt that some parents are not that great at being a parent, and blaming that on how much money they have or havnt got is lazy and inaccurate.

He definitely put it down to lack of education and support, not money. There is a correlation between lack of money and lack of proper parenting though, without a doubt, so that would hold quite true too.

However, there are also rich people who are bad parents.

You would hope so. But there is no doubt that some parents are not that great at being a parent, and blaming that on how much money they have or havnt got is lazy and inaccurate.

in the same way that labelling parents who struggle to provide for their kids as bad parents is also lazy and inaccurate.

He definitely put it down to lack of education and support, not money. There is a correlation between lack of money and lack of proper parenting though, without a doubt, so that would hold quite true too.

However, there are also rich people who are bad parents.

Indeed, and there are also poorer folk who are ace parents.

in the same way that labelling parents who struggle to provide for their kids as bad parents is also lazy and inaccurate.

But I didnt say that. Some people, regardless of income/wealth/support/opportunities are crap at it. Rich and poor, black and white, male and female.

Of course not, nothing excuses neglect. Poverty certainly makes parenting more difficult though. Would you agree?

Of course it does. Being poorer makes life harder in pretty much every aspect of life.

Or in another way, being poorer makes life more challenging, which is how I have chosen to address the changes to my job and stuff.

But I wasnt born into the sort of life that some people are, who find it almost impossible to escape from, which is a whole different subject/can of worms.

.....yep. Biggest challenge we have is bringing up our kids. It's not easy but knowing the difference between right and wrong, having respect and caring for others is not dependent on how much money you have.

Just received a You Gov poll asking whether Labour will be held to ransom by the SNP in the event of a hung parliament.
Yes - good thing
Yes - bad thing
No
Should be out tomorrow

I know others on this forum have debated this point so I'm sorry to bring it back up. However, I am a little confused. Piddlywiddly, you have raised this indirect quote as a criticism of Miliband. I can't understand how this could ever possibly be a criticism, unless, like others have suggested, you would rather a Chinese childbirth policy? Or perhaps controlled abortion? Please do suggest an answer to this 'problem', because as far as I can tell, Ed Miliband is just speaking an obvious point?
So you're happy for people to just breed and breed without ever wondering how they will support them? I would never advocate a limit on births, but surely everyone must agree that we need to be sensible and think about how we would support a larger family before we go ahead and procreate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back