The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
That isn't the question. I'm not talking about you personally, I'm talking about your failure to understand that the nation as a whole cannot just throw all common sense out the window and just have as many kids as it fancies without costing it up a bit first.

Can you not see how you are condoning a system in which only people with money should be able to have children? This is not right.

Better not have one if you're poor then eh.

Not at all. Just dont see life as an exercise in other people paying for a lifestyle you choose.

With choice comes responsibility.

Some young lass gets in the family way, she, and her child should have the full support of the state. If she continually makes the same "mistake", why should more of a finite resource be in some way her entitlement?

But I do agree with you in that in the scheme of things, it isnt really that big an issue in cash terms. The Mail loves it though.

The thing is, my partner and I are probably in a position at the moment where it would be a struggle financially to raise a child (living in London and all). We might be able to get by, but if something happened we'd be up the creek, and we don't think bringing a child into such a relatively high risk situation is wise at all. So we're waiting until our circumstances change.

Your message above makes that sound as though it's a bad approach to take, that we shouldn't look first to how we can support our own children ourselves and we should sit back and let the state pick up the tab.

Honest opinion. Have the child and worry about it later. Enjoy everything being a parent brings, including being skint. Can't beat being a dad

Can you not see how you are condoning a system in which only people with money should be able to have children? This is not right.

A system that already exists, you mean? A system that hasn't required any form of intervention from the state, just people thinking before they have kids?

You really are suggesting that the poor shouldn't give birth.

Call me old fashioned if you like, but as a potential father I'd see my role as ensuring my family is setup alright. From my own personal experience, and that of my partner, we both know what it's like when unforeseen circumstances strike and you really do struggle. So yes, right now we're saying that we can't afford to have a child because we're not in a position to do so.

Why is being sensible a bad thing?

Do you think the Tories give a flying [Poor language removed] about anyone/thing as long as they achieve power. Their attitude smacks of McCarthyism.

I didnt even mention the Tories. I was talking about the democratic reality.

So as long as the outcome is what you agree with, you are quite happy that 98% of the electorate cannot vote for the party that can call the shots?

Because you know what that is.

Call me old fashioned if you like, but as a potential father I'd see my role as ensuring my family is setup alright. From my own personal experience, and that of my partner, we both know what it's like when unforeseen circumstances strike and you really do struggle. So yes, right now we're saying that we can't afford to have a child because we're not in a position to do so.

old fashioned, sensible, family.....all the favourite Tory propaganda buzzwords in one post

its not , I have three its a big commitment not just money time for them as well , I ran myself into the ground trying to do two jobs and giving them time wish I had thought it through a bit better your doing the right thing for yourself s and the future baby bruce

£200k to have a child? My parents won't have earned that in the last twenty years and they've had myself and a sister, rent, bills etc.

What are they feeding this £200k child? Caviar?

SANDCASTLES.png

£200k to have a child? My parents won't have earned that in the last twenty years and they've had myself and a sister, rent, bills etc.

What are they feeding this £200k child? Caviar?

It does cost a few bob. But, thankfully, in this country we have a system that is there to support those who may need it. We can argue the toss about how much/good it is, but the support is there.

So as a society, maybe we all helped your mum and dad I guess.

Which sounds dead patronising, which it isnt meant to.

Oh for sure, I think any state set limit would be absurd, both from a moral and practical perspective. It just seems a daily occurrence that the other half comes home with stories of sadness. The latest was a 1 year old that had been so over-fed they were over 3 stone and was practically being fed to death.

No idea what the answer is really.
Nor me, but I'll bet Durex could help lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back