Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didnt even mention the Tories. I was talking about the democratic reality.

So as long as the outcome is what you agree with, you are quite happy that 98% of the electorate cannot vote for the party that can call the shots?

Because you know what that is.
Depends on what you mean by call the shots. If Labour refuse to accede to a particular SNP demand and a vote of confidence is called it will be up to the SNP to vote against it : a new election will be called.
What makes you think they will kow tow to all the SNP' s demands ? It is 1932 since a governing party had more than 50% of the electorates' votes.

Depends on what you mean by call the shots. If Labour refuse to accede to a particular SNP demand and a vote of confidence is called it will be up to the SNP to vote against it : a new election will be called.
What makes you think they will kow tow to all the SNP' s demands ? It is 1932 since a governing party had more than 50% of the electorates' votes.

I dont think they will kow tow to all of them as it happens. And I am aware of the maths in our FPTP system.

The point is this. IF, the numbers turn up like they look they might, a party and manifesto that 98% (or whatever, but close enough), have not had the opportunity to vote for, or against, could hold the balance of power in the HOC. And that party has already said it will not support what could well be the party with the highest number of seats, and possibly the highest % of the votes.

And you think that is a sound democratic process? Because you agree with the outcome.

So you're happy for people to just breed and breed without ever wondering how they will support them? I would never advocate a limit on births, but surely everyone must agree that we need to be sensible and think about how we would support a larger family before we go ahead and procreate?

But the actual number of people who just "breed and breed" are very few, 6% have 4 children, 2% have 5 and above that the numbers tail of rapidly. Interestingly the families with large numbers of children appear to be equally distributed at the very top and very bottom ends of income scales.

How much is enough salary wise before you're officially given the green light to go ahead and have a baby?

It's a ludicrous thing to debate. No two sets of circumstances are the same. Some single mothers on low incomes are better parents than couples in higher incomes, and I speak from experience in that regard.

Let people have their free will.

But the actual number of people who just "breed and breed" are very few, 6% have 4 children, 2% have 5 and above that the numbers tail of rapidly. Interestingly the families with large numbers of children appear to be equally distributed at the very top and very bottom ends of income scales.

Is right. Like I said earlier, it is a non issue is cash terms, but the Mail laps it up.

But saying that, with choice, (to have kids), comes responsibility.

I dont think they will kow tow to all of them as it happens. And I am aware of the maths in our FPTP system.

The point is this. IF, the numbers turn up like they look they might, a party and manifesto that 98% (or whatever, but close enough), have not had the opportunity to vote for, or against, could hold the balance of power in the HOC. And that party has already said it will not support what could well be the party with the highest number of seats, and possibly the highest % of the votes.

And you think that is a sound democratic process? Because you agree with the outcome.
It is one of the quirks of our electoral system. The answer is quite simple : If people don't agree they'll vote for a party(ies) who won't go in coalition with the SNP. Judging by the polls, it appears that this is not a major concern to the populace at large, at the moment.

So you're happy for people to just breed and breed without ever wondering how they will support them? I would never advocate a limit on births, but surely everyone must agree that we need to be sensible and think about how we would support a larger family before we go ahead and procreate?
You've sort of answered your own question there.

We don't need population control, we need education and sensibility - the opposite of forcing limits on people. Most people are sensible, it's the unsensible few who get the headlines so give everyone else some credit.

It is one of the quirks of our electoral system. The answer is quite simple : If people don't agree they'll vote for a party(ies) who won't go in coalition with the SNP. Judging by the polls, it appears that this is not a major concern to the populace at large, at the moment.

True, to a degree.

I actually find it fascinating as a bit of an anorak. Apologies if some of my posts seemed to be aggressive in any way, it was more about the democratic and constitutional issues that might be thrown up, rather than a Tory/Labout/SNP etc etc stance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back