Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I side with Labour on most political issues of the 2015 Election.
93% Lab, 87% Green, 85% LD, 52% Tory, agreeing on environment & education (which I really don't!) & 43% UKIP (which really offends me)

Why does that offend you? Regardless of your personal beliefs the quiz is based on policies and ukip policies are pretty good in my opinion.

Why does that offend you? Regardless of your personal beliefs the quiz is based on policies and ukip policies are pretty good in my opinion.

I'm afraid as I see them as a party who prey on people's insecurities to spread racism and xenophobia. I accept that they may have some policies which could be applied and work successfully. However, I can't see past my first point.

My Mrs is French and I spend a lot of time in France. A lot of people point at the Left in France and blame them for many of the country's woes. However, it ought to be acknowledged that the rise of the far right is causing every bit as much damage to the country. I strongly believe that communities are the bedrock of any society and nation. When communities are turned in on each other, society starts to fail and the nation suffers. This is so obviously taking place in many parts of France right now. I don't want it to happen here.

I guess I just don't think there is a place for a party like UKIP in 21st century Britain.

Edit....
I should probably emphasise that I do not for one minute think that every UKIP supporter is aligned to the party's way of thinking in regards to their prejudice.

Last edited:

Interesting short video on the Guardian website where Simon Jenkins in his own words says "Cameron is finished"

http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...n-david-cameron-hugh-muir-simon-jenkins-video
That's a bold statement with the polls deadlocked and the possibility of a 'shy Tory' swingback.

Personally I think we're heading for another election in the autumn. I dont see the Tories gaining the necessary seats to avoid needing to govern without 2/3 other parties. Ditto Labour. All that ^^^ notwithstanding cataclysmic events, of course. But it's looking like a crisis of sorts come May 8th.

That's a bold statement with the polls deadlocked and the possibility of a 'shy Tory' swingback.

Personally I think we're heading for another election in the autumn. I dont see the Tories gaining the necessary seats to avoid needing to govern without 2/3 other parties. Ditto Labour. All that ^^^ notwithstanding cataclysmic events, of course. But it's looking like a crisis of sorts come May 8th.

I suspect you may be correct Dave, however interestingly within the London Labour Party there is a fair amount of optimism that Labour are doing well in the key London marginals. In contrast yesterday I bumped into a keen activist for the Conservatives here in London and he's normally pretty chipper, but was quite downcast yesterday. He's pro Cameron but was not enthusiastic about their prospects.

Anecdotal of course, but interesting

I suspect you may be correct Dave, however interestingly within the London Labour Party there is a fair amount of optimism that Labour are doing well in the key London margins. In contrast yesterday I bumped into a keen activist for the Conservatives here in London and he's normally pretty chipper, but was quite downcast yesterday. He's pro Cameron but was not enthusiastic about their prospects.

I heard that Hendon, Brentford & Isleworth, Enfield North and Brent Central were looking good; Harrow East touch & go; may well lose Hampstead due to the mansion tax idea. On Merseyside, Wirral West might go Labour but there is the additional Shy Wool factor at play.

Just returning to the concept of fairness for a moment, I found an interesting quote from Adam Smith in the Theory of Moral Sentiments :

" If justice is removed, the great, immense fabric of human society.... must in a moment crumble into atoms"

I found it in an interesting TED talk on "Why we need to rethink capitalism" by Paul Tudor Jones.

https://www.ted.com/talks/paul_tudor_jones_ii_why_we_need_to_rethink_capitalism#t-529431

What a fantastic line. Love it & really impressed with a lot of TEDs on the subject. There's another good one by Richard Wilkinson (author of 'The Spirit Level: Why Equality is Better For Everyone - a very interesting read) about the harm of economic inequality on society.

http://www.ted.com/talks/richard_wilkinson

I suspect you may be correct Dave, however interestingly within the London Labour Party there is a fair amount of optimism that Labour are doing well in the key London margins. In contrast yesterday I bumped into a keen activist for the Conservatives here in London and he's normally pretty chipper, but was quite downcast yesterday. He's pro Cameron but was not enthusiastic about their prospects.

I just wonder how London differs to the rest of the country. I think it's something like 12% lead for Labour there and they're polling way above national average. In the rest of the country I wouldn't underestimate the ability of some people to fall for the scare tactics of vote Labour-get SNP if it's stated long enough.

Overall though I dont think that will be critical in this election. As always the economy/personal finances will be. There's a lead on the economy for the Tories which is cancelled out by the number of those polled stating they feel worse off since 2010 and that this will get worse in the near future. I think that neutralises the anti-Labour attack and it's the reason we see the SNP being trundled out and attacks on Miliband's character.

It's going to be very tight unless something unforeseen happens now.

I suspect you may be correct Dave, however interestingly within the London Labour Party there is a fair amount of optimism that Labour are doing well in the key London marginals. In contrast yesterday I bumped into a keen activist for the Conservatives here in London and he's normally pretty chipper, but was quite downcast yesterday. He's pro Cameron but was not enthusiastic about their prospects.

I was just having a bad day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back