Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I cant ever see that happening. He's an elected mayor, yes. But those posts can go to maverick figures. He's a clown and not even the British electorate will vote for that scarecrow buffoon.

True. I can't imagine anyone north of Watford would vote for him.

I cant ever see that happening. He's an elected mayor, yes. But those posts can go to maverick figures. He's a clown and not even the British electorate will vote for that scarecrow buffoon.

I'll always remember the face like dark thunder that Cameron had the morning after Boris was first elected Mayor. He had clearly sanctioned him standing as mayoral candidate for the Tories on the assumption that he had no chance whatsoever of winning and would damage his reputation in the process. But he won, and a worried Cameron instantly saw the momentum starting to build again in Boris' career and in fulfilling his aspirations.

Why do people vote Tory? 32 up there in the poll.

Genuinely wouldn't mind knowing.

It is a question you could ask of anyone who votes for something you dont believe in isnt it mate?

For what it is worth, I have voted conservative a few times.

But my early experience of Labour was a nightmare for the country. Also, one trait I dislike in anyone is hypocrisy, and in my experience, I have seen an awful lot more of that from the left leaning parties/MPs than I have from others.

I loath the tribal nature of the politics in our country, all parties are guilty of it. And being labeled as scum or vermin because I might not agree with someones politics is a pretty unattractive trait of those who make those statements. (Not an accusation that has been lobbed at me, but you dont need to read too far back to see what I mean)

And for the record, the politicians I most admire over the last few decades, in no particular order, are the likes of John Smith, Darling, Denis Skinner, Paddy Ashdown, (Bosnia et al mainly), Heseltine, and more recently, Brown, (referendum mainly), Cameron and Clegg, (as a double act these last 5 years). Oh, and Burnham, for obvious reasons.

Oh, Hull have just scored!

It is a question you could ask of anyone who votes for something you dont believe in isnt it mate?

But my early experience of Labour was a nightmare for the country. Also, one trait I dislike in anyone is hypocrisy, and in my experience, I have seen an awful lot more of that from the left leaning parties/MPs than I have from others.

I loath the tribal nature of the politics in our country, all parties are guilty of it. And being labeled as scum or vermin because I might not agree with someones politics is a pretty unattractive trait of those who make those statements. (Not an accusation that has been lobbed at me, but you dont need to read too far back to see what I mean)

And for the record, the politicians I most admire over the last few decades, in no particular order, are the likes of John Smith, Darling, Denis Skinner, Paddy Ashdown, (Bosnia et al mainly), Heseltine, and more recently, Brown, (referendum mainly), Cameron and Clegg, (as a double act these last 5 years). Oh, and Burnham, for obvious reasons.

Well said.

I'll always remember the face like dark thunder that Cameron had the morning after Boris was first elected Mayor. He had clearly sanctioned him standing as mayoral candidate for the Tories on the assumption that he had no chance whatsoever of winning and would damage his reputation in the process. But he won, and a worried Cameron instantly saw the momentum starting to build again in Boris' career and in fulfilling his aspirations.
It's an unreal competition between two Bullingdon Club boys.

Cameron is odious, no ifs or buts. But he's a credible national political figure in that Tory grandee style that appeals to the many serfs we unfortunately have. Johnson is an utter clown who everyone knows would be an embarrassment on a world stage. It'd be like having a Chuckle Brother in Number 10.

cameroneton2_468x420.jpg

(1) the Hon. Edward Sebastian Grigg, the heir to Baron Altrincham of Tormarton and current chairman of Credit Suisse (UK)

(2) David Cameron

(3) Ralph Perry Robinson, a former child actor, designer, furniture-maker

(4) Ewen Fergusson, son of the British ambassador to France, Sir Ewen Fergusson and now at City law firm Herbert Smith

(5) Matthew Benson, the heir to the Earldom of Wemyss and March

(6) Sebastian James, the son of Lord Northbourne, a major landowner in Kent

(7) Jonathan Ford, the-then president of the club, a banker with Morgan Grenfell

(8) Boris Johnson

9) Harry Eastwood, the investment fund consultant

bullingdon_club_at__417769a.jpg

(1) George Osborne;

(2) writer Harry Mount, the heir to the Baronetcy of Wasing and Mr. Cameron’s cousin;

(3) Chris Coleridge, the descendant of Samuel Taylor Coleridge, the son of Lloyds’ chairman David Coleridge, the brother of Conde Nast managing director Nicholas Coleridge

(4) German aristocrat and managing consultant Baron Lupus von Maltzahn,

(5) the late Mark Petre, the heir to the Barony of Petre;

(6) Australian millionaire Peter Holmes a Cour;

(7) Nat Rothschild, the heir to the Barons Rothschilds

(8) Jason Gissing

Tbh mate, it was aimed (the question) at people like you. You seem a very decent sort in my dealings with you and I just cant get my head around the chasm between that and support for a party that brings so much misery.

I'm sure you see something decent in them I dont, I imagine there's some justification that they're not the Thatcherite party of the past, but all the evidence points the other way, imo.

cameroneton2_468x420.jpg

(1) the Hon. Edward Sebastian Grigg, the heir to Baron Altrincham of Tormarton and current chairman of Credit Suisse (UK)

(2) David Cameron

(3) Ralph Perry Robinson, a former child actor, designer, furniture-maker

(4) Ewen Fergusson, son of the British ambassador to France, Sir Ewen Fergusson and now at City law firm Herbert Smith

(5) Matthew Benson, the heir to the Earldom of Wemyss and March

(6) Sebastian James, the son of Lord Northbourne, a major landowner in Kent

(7) Jonathan Ford, the-then president of the club, a banker with Morgan Grenfell

(8) Boris Johnson

9) Harry Eastwood, the investment fund consultant

bullingdon_club_at__417769a.jpg

(1) George Osborne;

(2) writer Harry Mount, the heir to the Baronetcy of Wasing and Mr. Cameron’s cousin;

(3) Chris Coleridge, the descendant of Samuel Taylor Coleridge, the son of Lloyds’ chairman David Coleridge, the brother of Conde Nast managing director Nicholas Coleridge

(4) German aristocrat and managing consultant Baron Lupus von Maltzahn,

(5) the late Mark Petre, the heir to the Barony of Petre;

(6) Australian millionaire Peter Holmes a Cour;

(7) Nat Rothschild, the heir to the Barons Rothschilds

(8) Jason Gissing

No bricklayer's sons in there?

*surprised*

Tbh mate, it was aimed (the question) at people like you. You seem a very decent sort in my dealings with you and I just cant get my head around the chasm between that and support for a party that brings so much misery.

I'm sure you see something decent in them I dont, I imagine there's some justification that they're not the Thatcherite party of the past, but all the evidence points the other way, imo.

Well I cant really answer that mate. Like, I am from a non working class background, meaning that I nor my family had any advantages or anything, just that in the traditional way, we are not "working class", although my dad was the son of a builder from Hoylake.

I guess it is my general view that I dont think the state can do or solve everything, which the Labour party, (the one I grew up with) seemed to espouse. The state can spend money better than you, the state always knows better than you, the state will always look after you.

None are true.

I do not buy into the "Labour always wreck the economy" sort of stuff, but neither do I like their glee in banning things, fox hunting being the classic, "lets bash the toffs" example of a non existent class war they seem to think is still there or relevant.

Also, my local oppo candidates have been terrible. Went to school with the last one. He was a bell then, is still a bell now.

There are some good names in that list. May I ask what it is about Cameron and Clegg as a double act you admire?

Well I cant really answer that mate. Like, I am from a non working class background, meaning that I nor my family had any advantages or anything, just that in the traditional way, we are not "working class", although my dad was the son of a builder from Hoylake.

I guess it is my general view that I dont think the state can do or solve everything, which the Labour party, (the one I grew up with) seemed to espouse. The state can spend money better than you, the state always knows better than you, the state will always look after you.

None are true.

I do not buy into the "Labour always wreck the economy" sort of stuff, but neither do I like their glee in banning things, fox hunting being the classic, "lets bash the toffs" example of a non existent class war they seem to think is still there or relevant.

Also, my local oppo candidates have been terrible. Went to school with the last one. He was a bell then, is still a bell now.
I wish Labour was that statist party of old, tbh. It's not though. It's a disgrace in many respects and I voted Green this time around because of Labour's behaviour in the Scottish referendum. My hope is that the LP will be tacked left in partnership with the SNP and others. Something I know you dont want but seems a good move for the country after being smashed on the head for the past 5 years. This place is in danger of turning into a cesspit with the savage cuts and social dislocation brought about by the majority paying for a bankers crisis.

There are some good names in that list. May I ask what it is about Cameron and Clegg as a double act you admire?

Keeping a 5 year coalition together. When loads in both their parties hated it/each other.

I think history will judge that to be a good achievement, leaving the actual policies which you may disagree with aside.

I wish Labour was that statist party of old, tbh. It's not though. It's a disgrace in many respects and I voted Green this time around because of Labour's behaviour in the Scottish referendum. My hope is that the LP will be tacked left in partnership with the SNP and others. Something I know you dont want but seems a good move for the country after being smashed on the head for the past 5 years. This place is in danger of turning into a cesspit with the savage cuts and social dislocation brought about by the majority paying for a bankers crisis.

Just imagine how rough a time the press would give a left leaning labour/SNP government would get if it happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back