Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
But I was commenting on politicians I had some admiration for, policies aside, and as a political pact, it stayed together when everyone gave it 5 minutes 5 years ago.

As 2 politicians, that took some doing.

I admire your ability to admire a politician on aspects which aren't their policies. I can't do that.

I can't believe that Bruce tried to paint IDS as some champion of social justice, there.

I suppose it depends on how highly you regard the importance of social justice doesn't it. He was certainly a champion of social justice if you don't believe there is an inequality issue, and you believe that the poor are responsible for their exploits.

Here's what we think the reality is, what we think it should be and what it actually is.

The 'challenging economy' as you put it has only been challenging for those of us without any wealth, and those at the bottom of the scale have too often found that challenge too much. Some of the tragic consequences of being plunged into poverty are undeniable. And yet, the top 20% are siphoning off all the wealth for themselves. There is no trickle down, just suck up. If you are not in the top 20% you are being fleeced. Maybe you think you can afford it, but the question is are you happy that the money is finding its way into the pockets of those who have plenty, rather than the mouths of those who don't know where their next meal is coming from? If you back policy that encourages this and Tory policy does, you are part of the problem. You are directly responsible for the misery that thousands of people in this country face day in day out.

The Tory mantra that there is no money is nothing but bull. Its there alright, and people are hoarding it like their lives depend on it. They are hiding it from the tax man so that ultimately they can die rich. What an achievement in life. What a legacy, having a number on a balance sheet that is bigger than anyone else's, whilst the worms eat your rotting corpse.

The facts quoted in that clip paint a hugely different picture to thast painted by (FT journalist) Hartford. The top 1% of the population have as much wealth as the bottom 60%.

But I was commenting on politicians I had some admiration for, policies aside, and as a political pact, it stayed together when everyone gave it 5 minutes 5 years ago.

As 2 politicians, that took some doing.

Would you admire a couple in a turbulent relationship remaining together even though it meant their 8 of their 9 kids' needs are being neglected - Just so neither has sole custody of them?

No, me neither.

Last edited:

The true problem here is having five kids, surely? How badly wrong at budgeting do you have to be to think that you can raise five children comfortably over a thirty year period when in fact you can just about afford two over twenty years? Rearing a child has got to be the single most significant decision in anyone's life, so why on earth hamstring yourself right at the start by knocking out number five when your eldest has just started junior school?

Too many people fail to save / plan for a rainy day when times are good and, consequently, find themselves massively overstretched when times turn not so good. I simply cannot fathom how on earth they reach such obviously flawed decisions.

I think you're completely missing the point, old boy. It's an analogy. He's not talking about a real family - he's comparing the UK to a family who doesn't treat its own fairly.

Or am I totally missing the point, here?

Good grief. I was talking about politicians being pragmatic, as opposed to being, for a change, dogmatic.

No, no. I was being serious. I can't look past their policies and say they have done well to hold it together, but I'm just a pessimist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back