Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
So. Any answers?
I'll give it a go if no one else will.

You distribute the budget evenly because you have a equal responsibility to each of the children. If that means everyone is going to have to live with a little less than they had before then so be it. No one will die of starvation or cold. It doesn't mean that it won't be tough but at least there won't be tensions from the feelings of envy or entitlement that would otherwise exist pulling the family apart.

"The Liberal Democrats will not enter into another coalition government unless an emergency "stability budget" is held within 50 days of the 7 May election, Nick Clegg has insisted".

Hahaha - given there won't be another coalition Government, polls indicate a maximum of 300-302 seats for Conservatives and Lib Dems, it's a rather academic pledge.

There's no plausible scenario where the Liberal Deomcrats can join any Government - Con/LD won't have enough seats, Lab/LD won't have enough seats and Lab/SNP won't need them.

Bye Nick :bye::bye::bye:

Interesting. I disagree, of course. Economic policy (i.e. the decisions of the "parents") has a very significant effect on all of the "children."

I've no doubt economic policy does, but the analogy seemed to talk directly about ensuring each had the same money (ie that none of them earned their own money).

That's a pretty sweeping statement. I'm absolutely certain dummkopf-schmitt claimed child benefit for each & every one of his litter, despite betsy's (inherited) wealth.

Do you have something against Germans that you use German sounding names in a pejorative way?

Clint, you have called Tories scum dozens of times on this forum, and you clearly have no problem with Dave suggesting that Tories are less than vermin. So, yes, don't expect an apology if that is the standards you're willing to maintain.

Firstly, I most certainly have not called the Tories scum "dozens of times." Secondly, whatever we all may or may not think about other parties, this is a matter where Toffeelover felt you'd misrepresented his views. Looks to me like you owe him an apology but I know from past experience that you find it difficult to hold your hands up and apologise. That's all.

Last edited:
Hahaha - given there won't be another coalition Government, polls indicate a maximum of 300-302 seats for Conservatives and Lib Dems, it's a rather academic pledge.

There's no plausible scenario where the Liberal Deomcrats can join any Government - Con/LD won't have enough seats, Lab/LD won't have enough seats and Lab/SNP won't need them.

This thread has, by and large, been a relentless tirade of sheer hatred towards the Tory party. It's hardly any wonder anyone even considering voting Tory has probably kept their trap shut.

If this is in any way indicative of the nation as a whole (the same sentiment certain pervades Twitter as well), then I think the actual % of Tory votes is probably quite a bit higher than the polls suggest.

Whether it will be enough to make the sums add up for the Tories to form a coalition with anyone remains to be seen, but I wouldn't count the Lib Dems out of it just yet.

Heh guys, only 9 days left till polling closes - let's keep it civil in here and largely on-topic, ie discussing the merits of politics and policies rather than each of our own merits or otherwise.

Thanks

Which polls are they ?

I've no doubt economic policy does, but the analogy seemed to talk directly about ensuring each had the same money (ie that none of them earned their own money).

Do you have something against Germans that you use German sounding names in a pejorative way?

No - But I have a helluva lot against dummkopf-schmitt and his neo-nazi modern day AktionT4 programme (And those who euphemistically & wilfully misrepresent it)

The analogy only works if all of the five kids are receiving welfare, and you unequally distribute that amongst them. As far as I'm aware, the rich are generally pretty self sufficient, so I don't see how the analogy works?
My guess is that you're choosing not to see it. You're in denial that there are people who need help, that there are people who can afford to help (some of who won't) and there are people who have the power to make sure that those who can help, do.

A parent with a starving child would obviously do everything they could to stop that happening. They would ask their children with surplus to assist if they could.

Absolutely guaranteed that they would not hand out money (tax breaks) to the children with everything whilst not providing for the starving child first.

If you can't see that in the analogy then I really do despair.

Still hope Sheffield Hallam say bye 1st.

This thread has, by and large, been a relentless tirade of sheer hatred towards the Tory party. It's hardly any wonder anyone even considering voting Tory has probably kept their trap shut.

If this is in any way indicative of the nation as a whole (the same sentiment certain pervades Twitter as well), then I think the actual % of Tory votes is probably quite a bit higher than the polls suggest.

Whether it will be enough to make the sums add up for the Tories to form a coalition with anyone remains to be seen, but I wouldn't count the Lib Dems out of it just yet.

I think given that Everton has proportionately a high level of "working class" support, it is to be expected that this forum is probably unrepresentative of the nation as a whole. I'm not sure how many conservative voters talking to pollsters would wish to hide their real intent though - why would they?

Anyway in 9 days we will know - for the Conservatives to have more seats than Labour they will require roughly a 4% lead in voters which is within the current margins for error, what is clear though, and this was my point that a Conservative/LD coalition is looking very unlikely without a significant surge in the polls.

What can be revealed or happen now that would cause such a surge? Unlikely to be any significant new policy announcements, in the final week, strategists will be focusing on getting as many supporters out to vote rather than changing peoples minds. The only plausible scenario then is a Gillian Duffy moment.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back