Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, it's probably more to do with that slight shame about voting "selfishly" and maybe even, shall we say, "unreconstructedly." I remember clearly the deflating experience of 1992 when the exit polls suggested a Labour majority and yet the outcome was a clear (shock) Tory victory.

:(
You're clearly a big supporter of justice, fairness etc. I applaud you for that, I genuinely do.

But I'm going to have to admit that I'm a selfish person. I put my family first, and the rest of the population is an afterthought. I will vote (and I still haven't made my mind up yet) for who gives me the best deal in life. I'll bet a lot of people vote that way.

I agree, it's probably more to do with that slight shame about voting "selfishly" and maybe even, shall we say, "unreconstructedly." I remember clearly the deflating experience of 1992 when the exit polls suggested a Labour majority and yet the outcome was a clear (shock) Tory victory.

:(
You're clearly a big supporter of justice, fairness etc. I applaud you for that, I genuinely do.

But I'm going to have to admit that I'm a selfish person. I put my family first, and the rest of the population is an afterthought. I will vote (and I still haven't made my mind up yet) for who gives me the best deal in life. I'll bet a lot of people vote that way.

At 22:00 on election day, coinciding with the closure of the polls, the results of an exit pollcompleted by GfK NOP and Ipsos MORI on behalf of the BBC, Sky and ITV news services was announced. Data were gathered from individuals at 130 polling stations around the country. The results of the poll initially suggested a hung parliament with the Conservative Party 19 seats from a controlling majority; this was later adjusted to 21 seats. The distribution of seats amongst the Conservatives, Labour, Liberal Democrats and other parties was initially suggested to be 307, 255, 59 and 29 respectively,[85] although the seat numbers were later changed to 303, 251, 69, and 27 respectively.[86]

Initial reaction to the exit poll by various commentators was of surprise at the apparent poor prospects for the Liberal Democrats[87]because it was at odds with many opinion polls undertaken in the previous weeks. The actual results showed that the exit poll was a good predictor

Chickens. Hatched.

Time will tell, I am confident in the answer I provided above.

Because those who oppose Tory rule tend to be far more vociferous and objectionable than those who oppose Labour rule. This thread has ample evidence of that.

And that's an observation, not a criticism, before anybody starts piping up.

That's cos there's more to object to, obviously.

Balrog___Huzzah_by_Saru_Ninja.jpg

Decent news for Labour. Also the TNS poll earlier giving a 2 point Tory lead has underlying figures of seat specific voting intentions (a constituency effect: who those polled will actually vote for in their own constituency) showing Labour on 33% and Con on 30%. So not as grim for them as first thought on that.

It's still very tight. I stick by my prediction though:

2 point Tory advantage on the day of the election
Cons majority party
Cons short of 323 and needing LDs + DUP to get over line
Government falls in months and new election called

I'm sure they do, and I understand why. We have to at least try to be better than that, though. If we are, everyone is better off.

I get this. Even as an ardent leftie, I really do. However, what I don't understand is what would you want if your family fell on hard times. Would you not want society to look out for them?

true, but your life WILL be affected by how the rest of society is treated

I think that will give some L/Ds nightmares? Surely not?
Well they've not mentioned they wont work with them, unlike their take on UKIP.

I notice DUP cleansed one of their number last night over his homophobic remarks. Maybe preparing the way for their arrival in government?

And let's face it, the LDs orange book leadership would sup with the devil to get another ride in those ministerial cars.

I'm pretty certain we all put our families first mate, what's interesting though is what you consider to be the best deal? Is it purely your own financial position, or is it taking a wider view based on fairness, equity in society, genuine help for the needy and selfishly ensuring there is state provision depending upon your needs now and in the future (education, health, social services, housing etc etc)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back