Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I get this. Even as an ardent leftie, I really do. However, what I don't understand is what would you want if your family fell on hard times. Would you not want society to look out for them?
I suppose so. I tend to think about relying on family and friends rather than the state, to be honest. I was raised in a household where our financial reality was largely hidden from me, and I've since got a pretty decent job with a decent salary now. I'd have to say I've never really given much of a thought about what life is like on the other side of the fence, as I've never really seen it first hand. Sad but true.

Not buying the working class thing though - fact of the matter is, it's almost like social suicide to admit to being a Tory voter on social media

It is very true though, football is a working class sport and support for the Tories is low amongst the working classes for very obvious reasons. Liverpool working class is another thing all together - the Tories have always been an enemy of the city, Maggie once wanted to put it into 'managed decline'.

So, if you end up in the politics thread on an Everton Forum, that may explain why many people have strongly held views against the Tories and their animosity to the working classes.

It isn't representative of the population of the country though, far from it in fact.

Because those who oppose Tory rule tend to be far more vociferous and objectionable than those who oppose Labour rule. This thread has ample evidence of that.

And that's an observation, not a criticism, before anybody starts piping up.

I don't remember that being the case toward the end of Brown's leadership. I would not say Tory opposers are more objectionable than labour opposers.

You are taking your evidence from a football forum by the way, one based in a largely working class city.

I suppose so. I tend to think about relying on family and friends rather than the state, to be honest. I was raised in a household where our financial reality was largely hidden from me, and I've since got a pretty decent job with a decent salary now. I'd have to say I've never really given much of a thought about what life is like on the other side of the fence, as I've never really seen it first hand. Sad but true.
That's fair comment fella. I guess thats exactly what it is. Life on the other side of a fence. Some people never see it whilst others can't escape it. At the end of the day it's often down to the luck of the draw.

Why do people vote Tory? 32 up there in the poll.

Genuinely wouldn't mind knowing.

I was brought up Labour. I voted Labour. I was part of the Labour Party. I delivered Labour pamphlets at elections.......then I grew up, used my own eyes, saw the mess they were making and the crap they were spouting, saw the country and my family and my kids in the sh1te and voted Tory.........things changed, the country got back on it's feet, we had money and food, we all felt good for a while.......then Tony Blair arrived.............

I was brought up Labour. I voted Labour. I was part of the Labour Party. I delivered Labour pamphlets at elections.......then I grew up, used my own eyes, saw the mess they were making and the crap they were spouting, saw the country and my family and my kids in the sh1te and voted Tory.........things changed, the country got back on it's feet, we had money and food, we all felt good for a while.......then Tony Blair arrived.............

Thanks, Pete.

Well they've not mentioned they wont work with them, unlike their take on UKIP.

I notice DUP cleansed one of their number last night over his homophobic remarks. Maybe preparing the way for their arrival in government?

And let's face it, the LDs orange book leadership would sup with the devil to get another ride in those ministerial cars.

Wells' position as Health Minister in the NI Assembly was untenable after his neathanderal rantings. He would have been forced out anywhere else earlier but his party realised the game was up with an election looming. It didn't stop the DUP hierarchy defending him yesterday in the Assembly though. These people are still living in the 19th century at best.

Wells' position as Health Minister in the NI Assembly was untenable after his neathanderal rantings. He would have been forced out anywhere else earlier but his party realised the game was up with an election looming. It didn't stop the DUP hierarchy defending him yesterday in the Assembly though. These people are still living in the 19th century at best.

Good job Sinn Fein don't live in the past.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back