Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed, and whilst I grew up in a standard working class family and followed the standard educational route through to uni, I could probably draw upon a few situations where a lucky break helped me on my way.

I don't believe everyone's destiny is mapped out by the life you're born into, though. Everyone CAN go to uni if they really want to.
Maybe not quite everyone but I get the gist. It's worth remembering though that people can move down as well as up, so to speak. And, through no fault of their own. An accident incapacitating them, giving up everything to be there for an ill relative, losing a job and not having another to go into etc.

There should be solid, reliable support mechanisms there for these people. They shouldn't have to depend on family or friends. (Being a burden is often a significant cause of mental health issues btw).

Whilst there are people living with massive excesses, this shouldn't be too much to ask for surely.

Everybody should be able to go to university if they really want to, but there is clear evidence that students from the poorest areas of society are statistically less likely to do so - the effect is quite significant - I'll dig out the figures tomorrow

Perhaps they don't want to go or they are encouraged to go into jobs that don't require degrees.

You could argue tuition fees, but you don't pay them back until you earn a certain amount.

Perhaps they don't want to go or they are encouraged to go into jobs that don't require degrees.

You could argue tuition fees, but you don't pay them back until you earn a certain amount.
You're spot on. There is a correlation between poverty and aspiration. It's probably not how you think it is though.

Miliband visiting Brand for a political chat......does Politics get more juvenile than this, what next, Cameron in a reasonably priced car, Clegg having a chat with Orville..........ffs, these people want to run the country and play with Russia, China and the States........

Everybody should be able to go to university if they really want to, but there is clear evidence that students from the poorest areas of society are statistically less likely to do so - the effect is quite significant - I'll dig out the figures tomorrow
Maybe not quite everyone but I get the gist. It's worth remembering though that people can move down as well as up, so to speak. And, through no fault of their own. An accident incapacitating them, giving up everything to be there for an ill relative, losing a job and not having another to go into etc.

There should be solid, reliable support mechanisms there for these people. They shouldn't have to depend on family or friends. (Being a burden is often a significant cause of mental health issues btw).

Whilst there are people living with massive excesses, this shouldn't be too much to ask for surely.

Yes, I agree. I'd like to see a system that provides some level of normality for people briefly out of work - you shouldn't have to lose your home cos you're out of work for a few months.

Miliband visiting Brand for a political chat......does Politics get more juvenile than this, what next, Cameron in a reasonably priced car, Clegg having a chat with Orville..........ffs, these people want to run the country and play with Russia, China and the States........

Clegg would struggle chatting to Orville tbf.

Other than that this is a great post.

So what's it like being a puppet?

Oh it's not so bad, Mr Cameron treats me pretty well.

Yes, I agree. I'd like to see a system that provides some level of normality for people briefly out of work - you shouldn't have to lose your home cos you're out of work for a few months.

This is a great point.......I'd love to see the government step in to this space........if you get made redundant, suspend your mortgage until you get back on your feet then carry on...........

This is a great point.......I'd love to see the government step in to this space........if you get made redundant, suspend your mortgage until you get back on your feet then carry on...........

Not criticising here because I do actually agree, but is there not MPPIs for this eventuality. If perhaps these schemes were ran by the government we'd all benefit.

Miliband has been battered from pillar to post this election by certain sections of the media. I can see the logic in why has has agreed to the interview with Brand, if the traditional forms of media aren't going to give him a fair crack of the whip then why not down the more unconventional route.

Brand has close to 10 million Twitter followers and of late has connected with a large group of people who have felt disillusioned with politics. If Miliband can get his message through to just a small number then it's a success, interviews like this also help dust aside the negative stereotype which the right wing media have tried so hard to build up of him.

I understand the concern with major political figures dipping their toes into the weird celeb culture world but that's the age we live in. You can't ignore the electorate otherwise more and more will become apathetic, you've got to move with the times. Once upon a time they said TV would never catch on, it was a fad and useless as a political tool in elections......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back