Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm old enough to remember having a real choice in politics but now they are all virtually identical. I was very active years ago until the Iraq fiasco, I just gave up, getting into bed with that clown Bush finished me.

Miliband has been battered from pillar to post this election by certain sections of the media. I can see the logic in why has has agreed to the interview with Brand, if the traditional forms of media aren't going to give him a fair crack of the whip then why not down the more unconventional route.

Brand has close to 10 million Twitter followers and of late has connected with a large group of people who have felt disillusioned with politics. If Miliband can get his message through to just a small number then it's a success, interviews like this also help dust aside the negative stereotype which the right wing media have tried so hard to build up of him.

I understand the concern with major political figures dipping their toes into the weird celeb culture world but that's the age we live in. You can't ignore the electorate otherwise more and more will become apathetic, you've got to move with the times. Once upon a time they said TV would never catch on, it was a fad and useless as a political tool in elections......
The same Russell Brand who encourages not to vote.

Sky news currently interviewing little known woman who makes pants. She's written to the Sun in support of Cameron. No response asked of Labour / Lib Dems.

Anyone would think The Sun & Sky were from the same stable.

Oh. Wait ...

Everybody should be able to go to university if they really want to, but there is clear evidence that students from the poorest areas of society are statistically less likely to do so - the effect is quite significant - I'll dig out the figures tomorrow

Which goes back to my point about the UK not fulfilling its full potential. Talent is being prevented from being developed due to a restrictive, socially-unjust society. Why are we going back to Victorian times? We had the world to exploit in those times. Nowadays we have ourselves. Let's at least treat each other equitably.

Last edited:
Sky news currently interviewing little known woman who makes pants. She's written to the Sun in support of Cameron. No response asked of Labour / Lib Dems.

Anyone would think The Sun & Sky were from the same stable.

Oh. Wait ...
did she get here tits out, what sane woman would write to that rag

Which goes back to my point about the UK not fulfilling its full potential. Talent is being prevented from being developed due to a restrictive, socially-unjust society. Why are we going back to Victorian times? We had the world to exploit in those times. Nowadays we have ourselves. Let's at least treat each other equitably.
But what are these restrictions you speak of? I went through uni through a combination of part time job and student loan. No support from my parents at all. If I did it that way, anyone can. The only thing stopping people is self-doubt and generational inertia.

Incidentally I don't believe everyone should go to uni - we need more routes for the bright but non-academic kids out there. The mechanics, the engineers, the artists. They don't need to go to uni.

A recent Stanford study highlights the benefits of a simple online intervention for creating a growth mindset.

http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0956797615571017

"If our short, web-based activities can help students see school as a place where they can grow their abilities and become the kind of person they want to be, and if that change in perspective makes students more motivated and successful, then it seems likely that there are many opportunities in the classroom to send these messages to better engage students."

The tools used in the study are freely available https://www.mindsetkit.org/growth-mindset

I should say, this research is part of a major Stanford research initiative into educational projects that can scale up quickly and affordably.

https://www.perts.net/about

Last edited:
The same Russell Brand who encourages not to vote.

This is the point though, isn't it?

Russell Brand says he doesn't vote and he is an enormously popular figure so, whatever we think of his views, they will have a great deal of influence on people.

So, how best to address the issue of not voting than to talk to one of its most popular advocates? Why would this be frowned upon?

Fair play to Miliband on this one.

This is the point though, isn't it?

Russell Brand says he doesn't vote and he is an enormously popular figure so, whatever we think of his views, they will have a great deal of influence on people.

So, how best to address the issue of not voting than to talk to one of its most popular advocates? Why would this be frowned upon?

Fair play to Miliband on this one.

Yup. No point in preaching to the choir.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back