The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well my mother and father had just served 6 years fighting in WW2. Their house in Liverpool had been destroyed and my elder sisters had been sent to live in North Wales. They paid full rent on a property that they had to do up so I'm not sure the word fortunate is correct but it was welcomed.........

Points taken.

How do you feel about the line that people living in Social Housing are costing hard working people money though? Is it acceptable that those who welcome/rely on social housing/state support are victimised like they are by some on here (not yourself btw.) We all know that state support costs money, but it is there for a reason. I'm sure, as you have intimated that most who do rely on it would rather find themselves in more fortunate circumstances.

An aside, really, but wasn't there always a convention that it was considered improper to use the Union flag on political logos?

Not totally surprised to see the BNP do it, but have been a bit surprised a the Tories' co-opting of it this time round.

Labour use it as well. I'm glad to see them do so rather than a red flag...............

team4773408_209_logo.gif

I was thinkin more along the lines of this one.....

th

Points taken.

How do you feel about the line that people living in Social Housing are costing hard working people money though? Is it acceptable that those who welcome/rely on social housing/state support are victimised like they are by some on here (not yourself btw.) We all know that state support costs money, but it is there for a reason. I'm sure, as you have intimated that most who do rely on it would rather find themselves in more fortunate circumstances.

I didn't know that social housing was costing a specific group money. We all pay for it via taxation or local rates. Similarly I don't think that people living in social housing are victimised. I live in a village where we have the full range of housing, large and small private and council owned, everyone knows everyone and no one looks up or down on anyone else. Social housing when needed should be provided, either through building new houses or councils purchasing existing houses in my view. I would be more than happy for the rent that is paid to be regarded as a mortgage so that eventually the house belongs to the tenant. Everyone deserves a chance...........

Where does government fund it's programmes? It doesn't fund it from the moon. It funds it FROM THE PUBLIC - ie YOU AND ME.

How terrible that young people can't just sit on the dole and get their own social housing at the expense of hard working people any more. I used to work in a supermarket for £2/hr not that many years ago, but you know what? I worked my way up. That opportunity doesn't exist for young workers anymore. The last Labour government has priced those people out of work.

Well excuse me, Sir Terrence. Maybe, because of zero-hours contracts, that's why your neighbour's curtains are still drawn when you're off out early doors to put your shift in.

And there was me thinking that kids aren't even getting paid - not even £2p/h - to stack shelves anymore. No, they're doing it for YOUR tax pounds in the form of their benefits while the supermarkets get all sorts of free labour; without even dropping their prices and helping YOU & ME become a little better off.

then your view is frankly just bizarre, Brand didn't need a logical response because the question was utterly irrelevant, and one for sensationalist purposes rather than bothering to report what the protestors were there for. Is Noam Chomsky's views on capitalism void because he is inevitably in some way part of that system, you can be part of a system and still be critical of it.

A reporter was interviewing him, asking questions which he correctly believed the public wanted an answer to. That's about as relevant as you can get.

I can completely understand your view and though I disagree with it, I wouldn't stoop so low as to call it bizzare.

I don't tend to read The Telegraph as it's usually way up its own backside, but I'm open to all sources and the majority of this article summarises Brand (and Miliband) well: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/gen...rand-Ed-Miliband-and-Labours-front-bench.html

Not one of the leaders can claim to have even a passing qualification in being able to speak about the lower classes. Hell, even an inkling of knowledge about the middle classes is a stretch. None of them could tell you the price of a loaf of bread right now if asked.

The idea of Farage being a "man of the people" is one of the most hilarious things I've ever seen.

While we're talking about Brand here, I think a lot of people view Farage as more like them simply because he didn't attend a university.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/gen...rand-Ed-Miliband-and-Labours-front-bench.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back