The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hardly right to say he was put there by Blair & Brown though is it?

Thatcher helped Murdoch bring down the print unions and allowed him to take over the Times & Sunday Times whilst already owning The Sun & NOTW. Should have gone to the monopolies commission but unsurprisingly didn't.

It was Thatcher who handed him the power and influence and he's been abusing it to spread his bile ever since.

I agree with all of that. I did say though Blair and Brown helped him not that they were solely responsible for everything Murdoch was allowed to do. My point was that after 1997, Murdoch became even more untouchable and his empire grew even further because Labour were keen to repay their debt for Murdoch's open support in the 1997 election. I'll scratch your back....

An interesting piece on the right wing press in the run up to the election.

https://opendemocracy.net/ourkingdom/oliver-huitson/press-campaign-so-far-'coup'-gathers-pace/feed

and another one about the role they may play once the results are in

https://www.opendemocracy.net/ourki...coup-and-labour-is-doing-nothing-to-stop-them

I have some sympathy for those articles. However, and depending on just how fragmented the Tory-led 'agreement' or 'understanding' is with other right wing parties, I think Labour are going to be unwilling to govern with a lot less seats and/or share of th popular vote than the Tories. I dont believe the reward of power would be offset by the trouble they'd have getting government to function and the daily assault they'd receive off a blanket right wing media looking to destabilise them at every turn.

I've thought and said from the beginning that Labour have a two stage strategy here if they cant get their noses in front in terms of seats: allow a weak Tory led Government in (and act in and of itself that will receive an enormous store of respect), then wait until the newly formed government falls apart at the seams, knowing that they have a headache akin to herding cats each day in office and that the numbers of a bloc of parties outside government can vote them down any time they wish. Result: new election and a clear LP win.

That has to be Labour's strategic game to me. I reckon Murdoch is in town to co-ordinate the post election 'Labour in power is illegitimate' campaign on May 8th. I dont think Labour will fall into the trap. Best leaving for now the Tories and their LD luggage to stew in their own piss.

The Tories know there's no Con/LD coalition after Thursday the maths don't work.

The strategy is to get weak liberals to vote Tory on the basis that LD is a bust force and therefore a wasted vote.

I don't know the maths but surely that would require the LD voters to all turn right. They won't. Those looking elsewhere will surely be split left and right. Are the tories not better off hoping that the LDs win as many seats as possible right now.

The Tories know there's no Con/LD coalition after Thursday the maths don't work.

The strategy is to get weak liberals to vote Tory on the basis that LD is a bust force and therefore a wasted vote.
Can you see Tory/LD + confidence and supply from DUP and UKIP standing the test of time (assuming it adds up to a governing majority)?

Can you see Tory/LD + confidence and supply from DUP and UKIP standing the test of time (assuming it adds up to a governing majority)?

I cant see any multi party cobble together lasting long tbh mate, and the SNP/Lab non agreed non partnership non arrangement thing looks doomed before it starts to me as well.

Reckon we should have an X Factor job after the election for all the cabinet posts and tell em to get on with it.

I don't know the maths but surely that would require the LD voters to all turn right. They won't. Those looking elsewhere will surely be split left and right. Are the tories not better off hoping that the LDs win as many seats as possible right now.

That could be a real fly in the ointment. Outright coalition rather than some looser arrangement might be the bet. The number of posts open to LDs in a new coalition would be reduced and I bet my bottom dollar that (regardless of any left/right ideological differences in LD ranks...such as they are!) there will be a lot of personal grudges about what top LD gets what jobs are available.

I cant see any multi party cobble together lasting long tbh mate, and the SNP/Lab non agreed non partnership non arrangement thing looks doomed before it starts to me as well.

Reckon we should have an X Factor job after the election for all the cabinet posts and tell em to get on with it.
X-factor is how the media report things anyway!

I agree though. I know we said the last coalition wouldn't last, but the way things are shaping up here with this election I dont think the next one will be held too far after it.

X-factor is how the media report things anyway!

I agree though. I know we said the last coalition wouldn't last, but the way things are shaping up here with this election I dont think the next one will be held too far after it.

Yep. Unless there is a late shift north of the border, (no chance), or a sleepy tory vote turns up south of it, (perhaps).

Deep joy.

Don't think so Dave,

how on earth would Liberals side with DUP and UKIP?......

Mind you could have asked that 5 years ago before teaming up with tories ....

Something like...

285 C + 25 LD + 10 Unionist and UKIP only get the Tories to 320, whether in a formal coalition or an informal pact.

275 L + 46 SNP + 25 LD + 3 PC and Green get them to 349 if the LD's decide to jump coalitions!

But as Ed has said, Labour won't enter an electoral pact with the SNP so the post-elections shenanigans might now be more limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back