The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's an interesting thought that the value of a life can depend upon nationality....

Obvious, surely.

Now I don't particuarly want our government to go hitler on the rest of the world but by and large I am in favour of exploitation of the third world in return for me having excellent living standards.

Like if you asked me to give up my house, internet, nice food and healthcare and stuff and live on the poverty line while giving all that money to charities so that 10 men in africa can live an extra year, I wouldn't do it. And nor would anyone else in this thread.

I know that because you own a computer, interent and go and watch everton games. None of that is needed to keep you alive and if you didn't, you could send that money to african charities and save lives instead. But you don't and that's sensible, imo.

Likewise, I don't want our government to cut benefits in this country in order to increase foreign aid or fund fairer trade agreements.

I simply don't believe a government has any responsibilty to people it doesn't govern. Its job is to look after UK citizens, the rest of the world can go hang as far as I'm concerned.

Brennan is arguing that voting a government that feeds it's own people but bombs other countries is trading 50 live brits for 50,000 dead arabs.

Sure, but I think that trade is worth it. I'd make it 4 times over.

A noticeable difference between the average Labour supporter and the average Tory is the willingness to criticise their own party when they see it fall short of expectations (which is interesting, given the widely-held but misleading belief that The Left toes the party line whereas The Right are buccaneering individualists). Bliar wouldn't have got any stick at all from the party if he'd been a Tory. As it was, he was vilified by much of his party.

Incidentally, the notion that a Conservative PM wouldn't have gleefully followed Bush into Afghanistan and Iraq like a faithful doggie is completely laughable.

So, what's you point?

This thread is proof of the exact opposite when it comes to Labour supporters.

As somebody who throws out racial slurs to make a cheap point and loves using petty insults towards other posters i'll bow to your expertise in that area.

It's getting tedious for everyone, mate. Your original point was flawed, as was pointed out, and you've not done yourself any favours with your attitude since. You're better than this, surely.

Last edited:
Is anyone on here a supporter of HS2?

It does baffle me why getting to Birmingham/London/Manchester etc 30 minutes quicker will markedly improve our lot if I am honest.

But then again, trying to get a train from Bristol to Liverpool in time for the Spurs kick off makes me think again!

On balance, I am generally in favour of big infrastructure projects, for all sorts of reasons, but remain to be convinced by the logic of HS2. But then I know little about it, other than it is an addition to a train set.

We're electing a government for the United Kingdom which is a global power and causes damage or good all over the world. If you don't take that into account then that's simply naive.

Of course I take it into account and I expect many people do. But, just because people on this thread are greatly concerned about social injustice in this country, that doesn't instantly equate to valuing British lives above foreign lives. And yet you have suggested that this is the case and you have asked for evidence to the contrary. I don't see why anyone on here should have to dig out such evidence to prove they're not some sort of racist or whatever you would call them - you've done nothing to prove your point.

It's getting tedious for everyone, mate. You're original point was flawed, as was pointed out, and you've not done yourself any favours with your attitude since. You're better than this, surely.

The post wasn't flawed, at all. What followed it was exactly as i predicted. A bunch of Labour groupies jumping all over a simple statement of fact and going off on one about Tony Blair and generally arguing a point i had never made.

Somebody said IDS should be done for genocide ffs. How can any Labour supporter possibly say that with a straight face ? Absurd.

Of course I take it into account and I expect many people do. But, just because people on this thread are greatly concerned about social injustice in this country, that doesn't instantly equate to valuing British lives above foreign lives. And yet you have suggested that this is the case and you have asked for evidence to the contrary. I don't see why anyone on here should have to dig out such evidence to prove they're not some sort of racist or whatever you would call them - you've done nothing to prove your point.

What on earth has racism got to do with it...

Spot on that.

You only have to look at how Thatcher is still viewed by the Tories even after it came out she knew about peadophile's in her cabinet and giving the ok to Cyril Smiths knighthood.

They still adore her.

Good mate of mass murderer Pinochet too, of course. Sound as, Maggie. Oh, and Hillsborough.

Me, I despise Jack Straw for his part in blocking a new Hillsborough enquiry (amongst many other things). I despise Bliar for deceiving parliament over WMDs. I reckon Brennan is big enough to think this one through and realise the important differences at play in all of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back