The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The accuracy of it's targeting system would certainly be degraded but not to the extent to make them unusable (they can also operate with an inertial guidance system I believe). This is partly to counter the possibility of the US satellites being taken out (as you mentioned).

I concede your point though that we are tied so closely to the US with this that only a fool would agree to an independent pre-emptive strike.
exactly so saying would you trust any PM to push the button without USA permission is tosh oh in the maybe future I forgot about Boris!lol

exactly so saying would you trust any PM to push the button without USA permission is tosh oh in the maybe future I forgot about Boris!lol
Never said that lid - regardless, I can't imagine any of the 'Western' leaders ever firing one to be honest.

I must admit though that this wasn't high on my agenda when deciding on who to vote for earlier!

Ah, that clears up my confusion.

Rather than being able to prevent a missile strike, our dependence on the US to provide and maintain the Trident system would mean that acting independently (and against US wishes) could risk our long term nuclear capability.

For a minute there I though you meant that we had to ring the Pentagon to say 'could you prettty please send the missile we just fired to the following postcode,' when that's not the case.

From what I'm gathering it's more that acting without US wishes means you may get your GPS access pulled?

Isn't Galileo going to be online in like 5 years?

Well, I guess it'd be hard to use that for nukes if the UKIP takes control and flees the EU. :P

Went to vote at 6.30pm this evening and the queue was 50 long waiting to get in, amazing scenes. Expect it will be empty again after 7.30pm.

Against my better judgement and for no sensible reason at all I could think of, I returned to the Labour fold despite their economic policy being based on a wing and a prayer and being annoyed that they based their entire election campaign on a single issue and tried to talk it up as a crisis. It was either that or a spoilt ballot paper, I'll never be a Lib Dem by nature. I did toy with voting Green for a laugh. All rather similar to deciding to go to a football match when your heart is not in it, just because you feel that you ought it having done it so much in the past.

From what I'm gathering it's more that acting without US wishes means you may get your GPS access pulled?

Isn't Galileo going to be online in like 5 years?

Well, I guess it'd be hard to use that for nukes if the UKIP takes control and flees the EU. :p
Yep, which would be a massive inconvenience but wouldn't prevent a missile being launched and hitting the general area it was intended for.

The only scenario I could imagine this happening anyway would be if the UK was hit first or nuclear armageddon was upon us lol.

Pretty much no chance of us acting independently irrespective of whether we have the capability to do so or not.

Never said that lid - regardless, I can't imagine any of the 'Western' leaders ever firing one to be honest.

I must admit though that this wasn't high on my agenda when deciding on who to vote for earlier!
I know that . but don't the politicians all claim that its independent!
Its a lot of cash to rely on the USA though I was alarmed when I realised it is set up with the USA!

Went to vote at 6.30pm this evening and the queue was 50 long waiting to get in, amazing scenes. Expect it will be empty again after 7.30pm.

Against my better judgement and for no sensible reason at all I could think of, I returned to the Labour fold despite their economic policy being based on a wing and a prayer and being annoyed that they based their entire election campaign on a single issue and tried to talk it up as a crisis. It was either that or a spoilt ballot paper, I'll never be a Lib Dem by nature. I did toy with voting Green for a laugh. All rather similar to deciding to go to a football match when your heart is not in it, just because you feel that you ought it having done it so much in the past.

Blimey. Two pretty good reasons not to vote for any party you think that about!

You have/had NO IDEA about what Maloney's done or gone through previously. As I've correctly surmised - you based your judgement on that video alone. You don't like his M.O. and that makes him fair game in your eyes.

Harassment? If they've got nowt to hide then why the flipping blink don't they SUE? Without people like him (I don't really care about poulton's contribution although it does bear another question about LD policies - You mentioned her; I didn't.....Other than to give her kudos for her efforts in helping Maloney) you - along with the vast majority of the populace, would've heard very little about any of this.

God forbid it happens to one of your own. Who knows how you'd react, eh? Oh, perhaps you'd be worried about being labelled a 'random anarchist' - is that it? I personally wouldn't give a flying one what people thought of me. If I had the evidence I'd expose the rats for everyone to see. That's if I managed to keep me rag; else I'd be in a padded cell if I got close enough to them

You however, with your retort, appear to be the type to just grin & bear it. Wouldn't do to kick up a stink & use the means at your disposal now, would it? Makes you a better person than Maloney, I guess, eh?

Chaotic nonsense? Constructive change? Oh, you're good, you.

Why should ANYONE take your word that the establishment is on our side when they've demonstrated the exact opposite in just about every single case? They WANT it swept under the Axminster...... Is that not plain enough? Your demeanour would give them exactly that. A passive, subconscious defence of their abhorrent actions in my opinion.

The way you see it = Some random anarchists dabbing about in chaotic nonsense.

The way I see it = A voice for the disenfranchised & rightfully disillusioned victims of child abuse doing what he has to do to expose an horrendous dirty secret the establishment don't want out in public

For someone pleading that you're not defending their actions, imo, by trying to discredit those two out of hand, you're doing EXACTLY what the establishment's want the rest of us to believe.

You OK mate?

For the record, I'm not trying to discredit them for their cause - I'm saying the way they go about it discredits themselves. Yes, I did judge them on that video - I stand by that, and my advice to them would be to put their considerable energy to better use.

Last edited:
I know that . but don't the politicians all claim that its independent!
Its a lot of cash to rely on the USA though I was alarmed when I realised it is set up with the USA!
Yeah, but I guess they have to say that and technically they're correct as we could fire independently at least on one occasion.

Politically though if we didn't have US backing we would be screwed and the reality is we are never going to jeopardise that partnership.

In short mate you're right, although technically we could fire independently in reality it would never happen.

Sod you Peter Snow and your CGI Swingometers. I'm going old school.
CEbLYB6WAAAxWB4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back