Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite there being a referendum on EU membership, I'd be absolutely amazed if an out vote succeeded. As for the breakup of the Union, that appears to be inevitable given how things have gone in Scotland. Still can't quite get my head around Douglas Alexander being beaten by a 20 year old student. Strange times.

The politics of fear has succeeded in two major votes now - the Scottish referendum and this election. The EU referendum would be exceptionally close IMO.

How mature! It's a genuine concern.
I'll admit, I don't have a particularly thorough knowledge of politics, so I've used what knowledge I do have to form an opinion. Is that wrong?

Neither Conservative nor Labour are far from perfect, but I thought all things considered Conservative was the best choice.

I wish people would just respect people's decisions instead of petty insults.

It's also nonsense.

Voting Labour or Tory would not have changed the issue regarding Scottish independence. Labour utterly failed in Scotland. That's not the fault of the Tories or Tory voters.

Yep. Only got themselves to blame for the scottish debacle. Surprised the tory managed to keep his/her seat up there though.

The politics of fear has succeeded in two major votes now - the Scottish referendum and this election. The EU referendum would be exceptionally close IMO.

Who will be playing on that though? It sounds as though the Tories would allow the vote but campaign for staying in. Can't imagine Labour/LD/SNP would campaign for anything but staying in, which leaves UKIP. I'd be amazed if they had enough clout to sway things.

I'll admit, I don't have a particularly thorough knowledge of politics, so I've used what knowledge I do have to form an opinion. Is that wrong?

Neither Conservative nor Labour are far from perfect, but I thought all things considered Conservative was the best choice.

I don't think anyone can criticise people for doing what they thought was best. Who are we to judge?

It's precisely why the result tonight has been such a shock. Those who oppose the Tories have been outrageous at times and many supporters of the conservatives have probably been put off from even considering an alternative option. See this thread for an example.

And before anybody says it, i didn't vote Tory.

Who will be playing on that though? It sounds as though the Tories would allow the vote but campaign for staying in. Can't imagine Labour/LD/SNP would campaign for anything but staying in, which leaves UKIP. I'd be amazed if they had enough clout to sway things.

I think the Tory right wing will fight it hard. Not only that, I think the nation itself has shown itself to be insecure and insular tonight - you've saw the English reaction to the Scottish "threat"; I think there's an inherent fear in England particularly that foreigners are bad. I really can't help but believe we are currently seeing the most xenophobic nation since before WW2.

The Eurosceptics will learn from how this election was won - pick a topic, interpret passionately how it could be in any way, shape or form a threat to English nationalism, and reap the rewards.

It's also nonsense.

Voting Labour or Tory would not have changed the issue regarding Scottish independence. Labour utterly failed in Scotland. That's not the fault of the Tories or Tory voters.

I agree with the highlighted bit. Labour's tactics were screwed. However, the statement was that the Tories would be a more stable government. There will be 2 major distractions if the Tories and the SNPs get their way. I'd rather the focus was on running the country not on breaking up relationships.

They are two good points to be fair - the Tories have confirmed an EU referendum, and with SNP wiping out Scotland they have an incredible democratic mandate now.
For me, a lot of what it comes down to is the progress we've made as a country since Conservative have taken charge. The recession was horrendous and I lost my job and had to totally rethink my career, which set me back considerably. I'm 28 this year and nowhere near being able to afford my own home. I work in construction and the industry is now thriving as a result of what's happened over the last few years. That's very important to me.

It's precisely why the result tonight has been such a shock. Those who oppose the Tories have been outrageous at times and many supporters of the conservatives have probably been put off from even considering an alternative option. See this thread for an example.
From what I could see a lot of Labour's supporters arguments seemed to largely consist of insults towards Conservatives. I found Miliband to be quite obnoxious, too. I trust Cameron more than I do him.

Like I said my knowledge of politics isn't huge so I'll wade out now.

I agree with the highlighted bit. Labour's tactics were screwed. However, the statement was that the Tories would be a more stable government. There will be 2 major distractions if the Tories and the SNPs get their way. I'd rather the focus was on running the country not on breaking up relationships.

But the Tories don't want to leave the EU. A small and vocal minority do, as do UKIP. A recent poll said 51% of people would vote to leave the EU if a vote was held, but that is before any campaigning against it. Neither Labour or the Tories as a whole want to leave Europe.

As for the SNP, do you really think it would be better if Labour were running things, propped up by a party who actively want to leave the parliament in which they sit ?

A conservative majority is the most stable result possible, whether you want that kind of stability is a different question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back