The best/most interesting car you’ve ever owned

What are you unsure about, @degsy ? There's no way I'd want a bone-stock original car from the 60's if I could afford to upgrade stuff outside of cosmetics. I'd deffo keep the body/styling original but not the engine, brakes, tranny etc. I'd spend just as much on the upkeep of that than if i replaced it with all mod cons, plus the availability of parts to do repairs/replacement on stock stuff would continue to decline.

🥃

Both yes I think. One was a collector who died recently in a plane crash. I saw him driving a 911, the GT3, an old body AMG, and at least one more very fast car I’ve forgotten. His son has a 4 door Porsche EV (Taycan?).

The other I’ve only seen driving a Cayman but he also has a beautiful blue Ferrari. But mostly he drives a gigantic King Ranch diesel Canyonero.

I’ve heard stories of people being told by Porsche they have to buy 10 cars off them to get an allocation for a GT3RS only to buy them and be told they couldn’t get one. To be invited to buy one you had to have a very long ongoing relationship with them, years of buying cars off them. That sort of thing I hate but on the flip side it’s only made me want one more 😂

This is my current (on a 'modest-ish' budget) dream car.
As the price of everything in Australia is a total ripoff (eg jeans, single malt you name it, etc) its 40% cheaper to bring this over from the uk.View attachment 273868
View attachment 273869

Lovely car mate, as a kid the first sleeper car I kind of became aware of was the XJR, I remember seeming a Top Gear episode Clarkson reviewed one called a Tornado. As a kid though I could never understand why if somebody had the money for one they’d ever buy the Daimler version instead

I’ve heard stories of people being told by Porsche they have to buy 10 cars off them to get an allocation for a GT3RS only to buy them and be told they couldn’t get one. To be invited to buy one you had to have a very long ongoing relationship with them, years of buying cars off them. That sort of thing I hate but on the flip side it’s only made me want one more 😂

Same 💩 with Rolex in some instances. They can both kiss my ____. Nothing's that important.

Think that’s fairly common practice with anything high end and in limited production.
‘Specials’ from Ferrari / Lambo / RR etc all hard to get without an existing relationship, but same applies to high end watches too.
There’s a vid on YouTube by some fella ‘exposing’ it, that said I think he’s in the used car game and it’s part of his pitch for selling those types of car above retail, justifying that paying him over the odds is still cheaper than what you would have to spend to get one from a dealer once you’ve bought the ‘feeder’ cars from them to qualify for and RS for example.
Have to say I much prefer the ST or the GT3 Tourer without all the aero personally.

Think that’s fairly common practice with anything high end and in limited production.
‘Specials’ from Ferrari / Lambo / RR etc all hard to get without an existing relationship, but same applies to high end watches too.
There’s a vid on YouTube by some fella ‘exposing’ it, that said I think he’s in the used car game and it’s part of his pitch for selling those types of car above retail, justifying that paying him over the odds is still cheaper than what you would have to spend to get one from a dealer once you’ve bought the ‘feeder’ cars from them to qualify for and RS for example.
Have to say I much prefer the ST or the GT3 Tourer without all the aero personally.

I’ve not heard it as much with Lamborghini but I’ve heard really bad things about Ferrari. Apparently Ferrari are terrible to deal with and once you have a car they won’t let you do anything to it. It’s not something I’d be interested in myself if I had one but if somebody has paid half a million plus for a car they’re entitled to do whatever they want to it.

I get the aero isn’t for most people. I think it’s that active aero that makes me want it though and the sheer down force it produces to throw it round a track. I think if you think of it as a pure track weapon rather then a gt it’s probably easier. I suppose if you can afford one you can have another car for driving to the south of France in 😂

I’m guessing they make a loss on every one they make and want to prevent too many people reselling them. Pretentious nonsense even for the rich

I'd have to think if they made a loss they'd quickly be out of the business but, you're right, this nonsense only works for people born with money as they've no concept of the real world and alternatives, they just fork out for everything because they can. There'd be some numbskull with more brains than sense that'd want to sell his RS3 12 months after acquiring it and I don't see how Porsche could legally prevent him from doing so unless they make you sign something upon purchase (wouldn't surprise me!); wouldn't know, I don't swim in that tax bracket.

The best car I ever had was a two-tone Gold and Brown mk1 Ford Fiesta, 1 litre, T Reg. Cost me 200 quid and was an embarrassment, at the time. I'd have it back in a second though, brilliant car. Loads of cool stuff inside: houndstooth cloth, footpump windscreen cleaners, no centre console and tiny dashboard, gear stick was a thin metal rod about 1 metre long.

What I want is one of these though, the old capri testarossa that was round the corner from me.

1726812566146.webp

I'd have to think if they made a loss they'd quickly be out of the business but, you're right, this nonsense only works for people born with money as they've no concept of the real world and alternatives, they just fork out for everything because they can. There'd be some numbskull with more brains than sense that'd want to sell his RS3 12 months after acquiring it and I don't see how Porsche could legally prevent him from doing so unless they make you sign something upon purchase (wouldn't surprise me!); wouldn't know, I don't swim in that tax bracket.

I think for their ST you technically lease it from them for a period of time something like 1 year, maybe more to stop people flipping it and I think they have to put so many miles on it so they can’t just park it in a garage and sell it as a new example. I think a lot of these people are scared they’ll just get black listed and won’t be invited to buy whatever the next super rare special is the manufacturer releases. The circles they’re in it’s probably a big thing being able to get the car nobody else can

Not mine, but my granddad and then my arl fella had a 1970’s Toyota Celica 1600 GT that I would love to have as a restomod now.
View attachment 273862

Personally I have fond nostalgic memories of a Mk1 Volvo C70 convertible I owned many moons ago.
Bit of a boat but still the most comfortable car I’ve had I think and the (standard) stereo was magnificent.

My mates got a black C70 convertible he’s thinking of selling - hasn’t moved off his path for over a year.

It’s a low mileage, minter - full Volvo service etc.

He’s talking of selling, think he wants around 3K for it ?

I’ve not heard it as much with Lamborghini but I’ve heard really bad things about Ferrari. Apparently Ferrari are terrible to deal with and once you have a car they won’t let you do anything to it. It’s not something I’d be interested in myself if I had one but if somebody has paid half a million plus for a car they’re entitled to do whatever they want to it.

I get the aero isn’t for most people. I think it’s that active aero that makes me want it though and the sheer down force it produces to throw it round a track. I think if you think of it as a pure track weapon rather then a gt it’s probably easier. I suppose if you can afford one you can have another car for driving to the south of France in 😂
TBF I’m guessing with Lamborghini as I’m in no way, shape or form in a position to speak from experience! I suspect he or main lines are a bit easier as they do share a fair few components across the VAG group. That said i did read the Countach tribute was very hard to get (ie impossible without an invite to buy), as with some of their other specials like the Sterrato……
Like our possible music mogul overlord, i got 99 problems……… but getting a Ltd edition supercar ain’t one!

What are you unsure about, @degsy ? There's no way I'd want a bone-stock original car from the 60's if I could afford to upgrade stuff outside of cosmetics. I'd deffo keep the body/styling original
Well that's more like it.
While I'm quite happy to let my inner nostalgic / romantic have a say, I'm just too mechanically pragmatic...it's metal, it's a tool. it does a job and if I can make it fit better work better by chopping a piece off it - then off it comes.
I can't get all wound up that my 68 whatever might have a bolt only fitted to the 69 version - keep that up and you'll be joining a club with all the flat cap, cravat thermos tartan rug and pipe brigade and calling the metalic price of crap 'Harriet The Hillman'
and 'The Old Girl' while patting it on the bonnet 🤮

1k BHP? I'm going to the grocery store usually and typically have adequate time. I'd eventually kill myself with that :lol:; 350-500 BHP is plenty. I've done time in high HP cars, it's not my gig. Light, nimble and manageable power is my juice of preference, I'm not one of these:

tim-taylor-tool.gif
Exactly. I've had big, powerful, fast cars ... but nothing compares to driving my tiny MG midget for fun and exhilaration.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back