The Everton Board Thread (Inc. Bill Kenwright / Blue Union)

Is it time for Change...???

• Kenwright an the Board out, We need Change.

Votes: 503 80.0%
  • Im Happy with the way thing are. Kenwright an the Board should stay

Votes: 126 20.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish I hadn't listened to it now. I feel even more depressed.

The Guardian reporter echoed what I've said all along, investors don't build stadia, they want to come in and start to buy players.

I fully understand the fierce opposition DK, but I firmly believe that it was a real missed opportunity and we are now suffering big time.

Any CLEVER investor comes in and gets on with the stadium/related infrastructure and investments.

That's why Manchester United as a public company was a darling of the stock market, and why there's a battle over Arsenal's shareholding now.

Both could relatively easily rapidly increase capacity, or had access to redevelopment funds and a higher capacity.

Saying that an investor only wants to spend on players - is nonsense. They do abit of both.

Elstone is guilty of overstating the difficulty in increasing capacity at Goodison.

On their financial resources - yes.

Not with a bigger investor.

Kenwright and Co - unless they put their money in - have Everton in no - man's - land.

Therefore their only option is to sell - as without an increase in turnover - their asset - Everton will depreciate in value.

Therefore ... time's up. Time for Mr Kenwright to step down and revert to a minority share holding.

Last edited:
Any CLEVER investor comes in and gets on with the stadium/related infrastructure and investments.

That's why Manchester United as a public company was a darling of the stock market, and why there's a battle over Arsenal's shareholding now.

Both could relatively easily rapidly increase capacity, or had access to redevelopment funds and a higher capacity.

Saying that an investor only wants to spend on players - is nonsense. They do abit of both.

Elstone is guilty of overstating the difficulty in increasing capacity at Goodison.

On their financial resources - yes.

Not with a bigger investor.

Kenwright and Co - unless they put their money in - have Everton in no - man's - land.

Therefore their only option is to sell - as without an increase in turnover - their asset - Everton will depreciate in value.

Therefore ... time's up. Time for Mr Kenwright to step down and revert to a minority share holding.

For me, that's the crux of the matter. They are only here for the short term & when it starts to depreciate, you won't see them for the dust.

As the old saying goes; You have to speculate to accumulate...I doubt they have the intestinal fortitude to speculate...so they'll be off, as Matt points out.

Damon you do know that if bk sells up in the next 6 months after your prediction you could become a star?

LCAB's position could be threatened by the Sir Matt of Damon.

For me, that's the crux of the matter. They are only here for the short term & when it starts to depreciate, you won't see them for the dust.

As the old saying goes; You have to speculate to accumulate...I doubt they have the intestinal fortitude to speculate...so they'll be off, as Matt points out.

Kenwright in particular - can no longer afford to.

Woods probably can't and Earl's motivations are less than clear.

That's 70% of the shareholding who are unable to finance what needs to be financed.

An increase in turnover.

Kenwright in particular - can no longer afford to.

Woods probably can't and Earl's motivations are less than clear.

That's 70% of the shareholding who are unable to finance what needs to be financed.

An increase in turnover.

Im not convinced mate, i think the shareholding is far to complicated - which makes a sale far more prohibitive then you convey.

Yes. I still hold the view that Kenwright and the other share holders (with controlling interests in the club ) will be forced to sell.

Ok maybe forced is the wrong word. It would be "in their interests" to sell.

Since they can't finance necessary developments at the club.

The credit rating issue - is less about the availability of finance ... it's THE COST of the finance that's the issue which relates to the credit rating.

It means that Kenwright cannot take the club forward. In that circumstance - he would be literally mad not to sell in the near future (i.e. 6-12 months) (selling; which I believe he's previously resisted, but won't now as he's not stupid and knows this)

I believe he'll sell - then remain a minority shareholder in the club.

i.e. Kenwright cannot afford to borrow to finance developments. Due to the increased cost of borrowing.

So we need an owner who can preferably by putting their own money into the club's stadium development at preferential rates.

Increasing capacity by only 5000 will increase revenue by £200k a game.

If only those 3-4k obstructed views could be sold every week it would make a similar £'s change now, but on a positive note looks like an excellent gate tomorrow-plenty of those green ones look to have been sold when I was getting my boys ticket earlier.

Damon you do know that if bk sells up in the next 6 months after your prediction you could become a star?

LCAB's position could be threatened by the Sir Matt of Damon.

LCAB's bigger than that. He's been going to the match longer than me, he's older than me and he's got more stories than me.

Plus. I'm not in it to be a star. I follow Everton.

As LCAB said it's about being staunch.

I don't hate Kenwright. I sometimes feel sorry for him.

I'm pointing out some things that need to be addressed. Also by doing this - it would be better FOR HIM.

Because if he really is as Blue as he says - its the best scenario.

The key point is - not to push Kenwright into selling to jokers who place leverage onto the club. Who are competent owners who've NOT bitten off more than they can chew.

The fact EFC haven't tapped all available revenues - that the stadium can be redeveloped - has VALUE to an investor.

Kenwright's previous belief he can finance what is needed, by hook or by crook - I believe he's finding that's not going to be the case.

And is - as a business man looking for the suitable withdrawal strategy.

Hence - no new overheads onto the club in the process of being sold/due to be sold (i.e. singing players on 4 year year £10million contracts) etc.

Im not convinced mate, i think the shareholding is far to complicated - which makes a sale far more prohibitive then you convey.

That may be the case.

However in the face of losing money (club value, their asset value) - its amazing how quickly things can become uncomplicated.

And again that's not to say that the club will suddenly slam into administration - that was one of the worst, spurious and downright disgraceful rumours I've seen for a long time being put around...

However due to the rising cost of borrowing - lack of finance ... etc

If Kenwright and Co. don't sell they'll face problems. Not immediately but medium term yes.

So its best they get ready for an orderly withdrawal now.

Its my belief they've already started that. (hadn't before even though the 24/7 claim was out there, he's resisted it) but now genuine interested parties with the means and competence to take EFC forward , wouldn't now be turned away :huh:

Actually there are many, many people worse than Kenwrong. Ask any Wrexham fan, they have had a parade of them.

We're not Wrexham though. We're one of the only clubs in the league operating a financial system designed to keep the club barely afloat rather than challenge for anything.

Even the lower clubs in the division are aiming at something - Premier League survival - and invest as such.

Kenwrongs' policy is to capitalise on shrewd signings coming good to disguise how non-competitive we are.

Without Moyes' signings on a shoestring, we would without a doubt be out of this league. We're a few bad signings away from oblivion under Kenwrong.

We really can't do much worse.

We're not Wrexham though. We're one of the only clubs in the league operating a financial system designed to keep the club barely afloat rather than challenge for anything.

Even the lower clubs in the division are aiming at something - Premier League survival - and invest as such.

Kenwrongs' policy is to capitalise on shrewd signings coming good to disguise how non-competitive we are.

Without Moyes' signings on a shoestring, we would without a doubt be out of this league. We're a few bad signings away from oblivion under Kenwrong.

We really can't do much worse.

Thats not right though, is it?

"Investment" in our context either means getting some gullible billionaire in who is happy to spunk hundreds of millions of pounds on an ungrateful group of players and fans (ie: Chelsea, City) or borrowing club-threatening sums of money in the hope that we could compete with clubs who pay idiot fees for the likes of Carroll. The current global financial situation (and us having pretty much no assets anyway) means that the second option is pretty much out, so all we are left with is either making doe eyes at billionaires, or treating water as best as possible.

That Kenwrong has plumped for the latter is understandable, and probably common sense (as not spending money you dont have usually is); certainly its better than getting some genuinely inept cretin like Ridsdale in, or even worse some actual ****ing thieves as seen in the lower leagues, in the vain hope that we might challenge with clubs whose money (and idiocy) vastly exceeds our own. You only have to look at Pompey for the truth in that.

In short, I would much rather we bumped along on a sound financial footing and won **** all trophies, than went stupid, won the league cup and then went into administration a short while afterwards.

I don't hate Kenwright. I sometimes feel sorry for him.
Because if he really is as Blue as he says - its the best scenario.

The key point is - not to push Kenwright into selling to jokers who place leverage onto the club. Who are competent owners who've NOT bitten off more than they can chew.

Geez Matt, you're smoking some good **** tonight!

I was thinking about this very thing whilst reading the thread. Regardless of what's happening, I still believe Bill's a Blue, and we should remember that. It's not going well for all concerned at the moment but I reckon if the pressure on him was eased up by the fans, then Bill should reciprocate by allowing us in a little more. Let us know where we're at financially, where we're at with the sale, perhaps even, what can we do to help?

C'mon Bill, we're all Blue here & regardless of physical size, we're bigger than the rest!

Thats not right though, is it?

"Investment" in our context either means getting some gullible billionaire in who is happy to spunk hundreds of millions of pounds on an ungrateful group of players and fans (ie: Chelsea, City) or borrowing club-threatening sums of money in the hope that we could compete with clubs who pay idiot fees for the likes of Carroll. The current global financial situation (and us having pretty much no assets anyway) means that the second option is pretty much out, so all we are left with is either making doe eyes at billionaires, or treating water as best as possible.

That Kenwrong has plumped for the latter is understandable, and probably common sense (as not spending money you dont have usually is); certainly its better than getting some genuinely inept cretin like Ridsdale in, or even worse some actual ****ing thieves as seen in the lower leagues, in the vain hope that we might challenge with clubs whose money (and idiocy) vastly exceeds our own. You only have to look at Pompey for the truth in that.

In short, I would much rather we bumped along on a sound financial footing and won **** all trophies, than went stupid, won the league cup and then went into administration a short while afterwards.

Actually, there's a third type of investment - someone who actually has the financial power to compete in the division, not tread water off the back of a shrewd scouting team and sound management.

I'm not asking for an Abramovich or even a Lerner; just somebody who can invest £10m net per year on the playing squad. There is no way that Everton are so unappealing that we can't bring in a board with that capability.

By the way, the current financial situation is irrelevant for two reasons - the first being that football is all-but immune to regular financial pressures, and the second is that Kenwrong has been claiming he has been seeking a new owner for a decade.

The man is a liar, basically. I don't say that word too easily, but he is. He has not sought a takeover in any credible way.

That may be the case.

However in the face of losing money (club value, their asset value) - its amazing how quickly things can become uncomplicated.

And again that's not to say that the club will suddenly slam into administration - that was one of the worst, spurious and downright disgraceful rumours I've seen for a long time being put around...

However due to the rising cost of borrowing - lack of finance ... etc

If Kenwright and Co. don't sell they'll face problems. Not immediately but medium term yes.

So its best they get ready for an orderly withdrawal now.

Its my belief they've already started that. (hadn't before even though the 24/7 claim was out there, he's resisted it) but now genuine interested parties with the means and competence to take EFC forward , wouldn't now be turned away :huh:

It always surprises me when Evertonians cant fathom why we havnt been taken over,

Its not that straight forward for me mate - yes it seems to make economic sense, but to spin it on its head we have three if not four major investers each holding a significant proportion of a shareholding. Each will try and look after their own intrests. Ever wonder why when Bill is quoted as saying he wants investment rather then takeover, its basicly because no one can take over the club based on his sharehollding, simple fact is anyone who takes over his shareholding can be out voted on the board if an alliance is made betwen other shareholders say Woods and Earl - there is no offical comment on what Woods and Earls intentions are.

I think your concept is assumeing that Bill, Woods and Earl are all on the same page in terms of wanting to sell their shareholding - this is far from certain and if if an investor came in it may make better sense not to sell to be honest. To give a simple example of number of different scenarios. Say Bill and Woods decided to sell their shareholding to say a billionaire from wherever, who was prepared to drop 400mill on the squad and stadium, why would Robert Earl sell - he would see his shareholding rocket. I have no dounbt this type of brinkmanship and postureing goes on behind the scenes and will continue to do so. So we are basicly looking for an investor to pour money in to the club, for possibly not 100% of the asset, not really likely to happen is it.

Ive always maintanied their are three reasons investment hasnt been forthcoming and i dont see that changeing eveen if people feel the current regime is hanging on by its fingernails:

1. The Complex shareholding and the fact its massively complex to buy the buissness 100%.

2. The investment required in terms of infrasturcture and squad development.

3. As much as we hate to admit it, we share a small geographic space with one of the biggest sport franchises in the sector, who earn double what we do, with little potential in terms of claiiming back market share.

Compare those factors to say takeover Newcaslte, where you could buy the club lock stock, no need to develop the infrastructure/stadium, while you have no compititon in a large geographical area.

If im honest i cant see things changeing signifcantly at the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back