Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The Everton Board Thread (Inc. Bill Kenwright / Blue Union)

Is it time for Change...???

• Kenwright an the Board out, We need Change.

Votes: 503 80.0%
  • Im Happy with the way thing are. Kenwright an the Board should stay

Votes: 126 20.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm one of the boards biggest critics, but i have to give Bill credit for selecting Martinez and selling Everton to him. No doubt the rest of the board done sweet fa, i wonder if Robert Earle was involved? I doubt it.

Martinez has achieved absolutely nothing yet. People might just be getting a bit ahead of themselves here.

I always hated the "could be worse" argument. If you have to compare a person or situation to literally the worst examples of something that exists ... then the person you are "defending" is already condemned by the very nature of your argument.

I bet if I got a head injury and forgot who BK was (but remembered everything else) and I had some beers with Bill and we talked about Everton we'd have a grand old time and I'd walk away thinking "what a top bloke." Doesn't mean I wouldn't fire him if I could. I don't hate the man; he's just not as shrewd in business/marketing as I would like and he's not as rich as I (nor he I imagine) would like. It's like firing people at work: sometimes you really like the person but they just can't get the job done and at some point you have to try out someone else for the greater good.

It's not over-the-top to suggest BK's choice as manager plays a big role in whether he can continue to own Everton Football Club. Moyes had his faults but he mostly kept the wolves from BK's door. RM is now doing the same.

I'm fairly anti-BK but you can find me in the past give him credit for Moyes hire (plus BK is a blue ... not a RS ... which is a plus). RM obviously looks like a great hire too.

I'm not 100% sure what people want here though. Just that he gets "credit" ... sure. Why not? Doesn't change my opinion that we need better ownership. If you want us to admit other clubs have had worse owners? Sure. Why not? It just doesn't change anything. If the man had literally zero positive attributes he'd be out already -- hell he'd have never been able to assume control of the club in the first place if he was just a drooling simpleton who sat in a corner all day with a colouring book.

He's a blue and in a sample size of two manager hires he's 2-0. Fine. If I had a billion pounds + I'd happily pat him on the back for a "job well done" (even though I don't 100% believe that) and give him a nice ceremony at Goodison so the happy clappers can have their moment and I'd give him a ceremonial Chairman position where he can help out with some situations (but would have no serious power). I feel no desire to "punish" him -- I jut want us to have the resources to compete (not even billions -- 5-10m a year would do wonders).

Does this argument get as many pages as it has here if the rest of the billionaires on the board were willing to kick in 5-10m a year? To some extent BK is hung out to dry by the rest of the board (who do have money) with their lack of investment. Sadly for him that still doesn't really change anything.

If he could convince them to invest more it would change my opinion of BK to some degree.

Don't get me wrong though: the KD fiasco was a disgrace and it set the club back decades. I'd find it hard to forgive him for that ... getting me to admit he has a positive here and there won't erase that memory.

I'd find it hard to sell Everton Football Club if I owned it too. I'd like to think I would if I was holding the club back.

Very good post. Pretty well sums up my opinion of the 'Bill' issue..but far more eloquently

Last edited:
Martinez has achieved absolutely nothing yet. People might just be getting a bit ahead of themselves here.

I did say it was early days.

Worst case though, from where we are now, it'd be a comfortable upper mid-table finish and some fine, sexy football. After 11 years of Moyes that's not a bad worst-case scenario is it?

I see Bill made a 'semi' appearance when he text in to Goals on Sunday. Saying he suspects he'll have a great xmas and just said

'Roberto Martinez. What a man / manager'

for all BK's faults, i bet he's an absolute dream to work for as a young manager

True, but he has personally won me over. When he was announced, I was a bit " Meh " about him and expected us to struggle this year. But in the hope we would give Martinez the time for us to adapt to his system. My expectations for this season was to finish 8-10th in the league.

I did say it was early days.

Worst case though, from where we are now, it'd be a comfortable upper mid-table finish and some fine, sexy football. After 11 years of Moyes that's not a bad worst-case scenario is it?

Palace wasn't very sexy. Neither was Saturday. :dodgy:

Palace wasn't very sexy. Neither was Saturday. :dodgy:

Last 10 minutes on Saturday were sex. Agree with Palace. Add in the carling cup and our first couple of matches. Overall though, it's been like watching Brazil at times.....

sexy-brazilian-football-fan-2.jpg

Yeah, Credit where credit is due, but Every team got a bumper tv deal money this season, all you have to do is look at Southampton, Cardiff and Norwich all spending their £25m, whereas we've been told that the McCarthy money was seemingly part of that for us. In that case £27.5m from Fellaini, and £6m from Anichebe, should leave us with £20-22m i reckon after we've paid some debt off, if we're scrapping around for £1m-£2m signings i'll be pissed off. They've got to see the potential to make the top 4 this season more than ever, and they money that can come with it.

But I don't know if i'm being naive, but i reckon we may have that money.

Yeah, Credit where credit is due, but Every team got a bumper tv deal money this season, all you have to do is look at Southampton, Cardiff and Norwich all spending their £25m, whereas we've been told that the McCarthy money was seemingly part of that for us. In that case £27.5m from Fellaini, and £6m from Anichebe, should leave us with £20-22m i reckon after we've paid some debt off, if we're scrapping around for £1m-£2m signings i'll be pissed off. They've got to see the potential to make the top 4 this season more than ever, and they money that can come with it.

But I don't know if i'm being naive, but i reckon we may have that money.

Obviously they're just holding all of the money until the January window to give Martinez a chance to prove himself before spending big, right?

Okay, I'll keep dreaming.

Obviously they're just holding all of the money until the January window to give Martinez a chance to prove himself before spending big, right?

Okay, I'll keep dreaming.

Nope - its been said that the mccarthy money was from the fellaini deal. cant remember where the quotes are from but definitely remember it being said

Last 10 minutes on Saturday were sex. Agree with Palace. Add in the carling cup and our first couple of matches. Overall though, it's been like watching Brazil at times.....

sexy-brazilian-football-fan-2.jpg

Don't get me wrong I like the way he's gone about things but it's early days yet.
After 3 years of dealing with kenwright he might have a totally different philosophy.

I'm amazed that anyone believes there will be leftover money from the summer.

No one will come in until someone goes out. It's the way things work at Everton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back