What do we reckon?

• 👍

Votes: 585 67.9%
  • 🤷 | 🧀🥪

Votes: 240 27.9%
  • 👎

Votes: 36 4.2%

• Total voters
For the record, it wasnt just his usage of the word Yank, it was the context and the tone of the words he used.

If you reread his posts in this thread its quite clear.

But it wasnt be intention to throw shade at David, so I apologise for my actions.

Anyway, I imagine this is a very complex deal, so im not surprised that its gone a bit quiet, I suspect we will get some snippets of information over the next few days, but I wouldnt be shocked if we hear nothing till next week.
Dave’s unnatural hatred of Dan Friedkin has nothing at all to do with him being a “yank” but rather more to do with his Jewish ethnicity.

All I know is that the Yanks are always coming over here looking for their roots with their notions.

They need to keep out of things they don’t understand or the Bull and his son Tadhg will ‘fix them’ with a quick dunk in the lake, after dancing with the tinker girl.

No mate, respectfully 'no'.

They know how to run a business in the ordinary sense of that word, but the football business is like no other. Stakeholders, stewards, fanatics - call them what you like - but that sense of community ownership is palpable in football (more especially in this country) and they're not experts at that...despite their vast 3.5 years association with Roma.
So, please, tell us the answer and, specifically, what you think is the RIGHT alternative. We are scraping the barrel and just have to pray that anything is better than the other American charlatans who were simply carpet baggers

We have 2 outstanding issues.

PSR and Cash.

He cant do much regarding PSR, for this period, going forward, there is certainly scope.

He can do lots regarding cash, but again, from my possibly wrong understanding, we need a sale before the end of the month and we need cash to pay a debt before the end of the month.

Who knows what will happen, Friedy could do lots of things or he could do nothing till he gains control.

hope he can figure away around PSR and the debt

And we don’t need to sell

Unless it’s onana

Yankee, a native or citizen of the United States or, more narrowly, of the New England states of the United States (Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut). The term Yankee is often associated with such characteristics as shrewdness, thrift, ingenuity, and conservatism. It was applied to Federal soldiers and other Northerners by Southerners during the American Civil War (1861–65) and afterward.

The origin of the term is unknown. The Oxford English Dictionary says that “perhaps the most plausible conjecture” is that it comes from the Dutch Janke, the diminutive of Jan (John). British soldiers are recorded using it as a term of derision in 1775. Mitford Mathews (A Dictionary of Americanism on Historical Principles [1951]) traced its rise, pointing out that no evidence of use of the word by New Englanders before the Battle of Lexington (1775) has been found.

Many fanciful derivations have been advanced. A mythical tribe of Massachusetts Indians, the Yankos (“Invincibles”), were said to have been defeated by brave New Englanders who then somehow assumed their name. Virginians countered with the story that the word means coward or slave and is derived from the Cherokee word eankke; no such word exists in the Cherokee language. These and many other theories about the origin of Yankee and of Yankee Doodle are reviewed and are all rejected in a comprehensive study conducted for the Librarian of Congress by Oscar G. Sonneck (1873–1928): Report on “The Star-Spangled Banner,” “Hail Columbia,” “America,” “Yankee Doodle” (1909)

An excellent point.

I assume there'd be two different holding companies, perhaps with Dad in charge of one and Lad in charge of another, so that control isn't deemed to be under the same individual/entity for both clubs.
I think that would be very difficult to maintain as legitimate given their other business interests and being immediate relatives with a long history of working together.

Don't know the actual rules but I'd think there's something against this given that it's not commonplace already. If it were possible I think there'd already be leagues with linked 'holding companies' owning several clubs to effectively farm a national league.

Isn’t it from the the New York yankees ?
I don’t know about that but I had read once about it used as a term to described New Englanders by the south because they refused to help them out during the civil war as somebody mentioned earlier. To be clear however I do not hear Americans calling other Americans ‘Yanks’ nowadays. It is definitely used by some Europeans and Aussies though.

The term Yankee has been in use since before the Revolutionary War, used initially by the British to refer to the New England colonials disparagingly but co-opted by them as a unifying identity. It spread to encompass the North in the Civil War era (several songs from that era use the term), again initially used dismissively by The Rebels but coming to be adopted with pride by The Union.

It has been used by Brits and others, shortened to Yanks, for all Americans for at least 100 years since WWI, and probably earlier. Mark Twain famously wrote the book A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court in 1889 as one example of this long history of self referential use of Yankee in USA but the shorter Yanks was mainly confined to us, the ANZACs initially. It has slowly spread out from there in the TV/Internet age.

Can we move on now?

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back