What do we reckon?

• 👍

Votes: 585 67.9%
  • 🤷 | 🧀🥪

Votes: 240 27.9%
  • 👎

Votes: 36 4.2%

• Total voters
I don’t know about that but I had read once about it used as a term to described New Englanders by the south because they refused to help them out during the civil war as somebody mentioned earlier. To be clear however I do not hear Americans calling other Americans ‘Yanks’ nowadays. It is definitely used by some Europeans and Aussies though.
sounds more likely , I was miles off haha

Yankee, a native or citizen of the United States or, more narrowly, of the New England states of the United States (Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut). The term Yankee is often associated with such characteristics as shrewdness, thrift, ingenuity, and conservatism. It was applied to Federal soldiers and other Northerners by Southerners during the American Civil War (1861–65) and afterward.

The origin of the term is unknown. The Oxford English Dictionary says that “perhaps the most plausible conjecture” is that it comes from the Dutch Janke, the diminutive of Jan (John). British soldiers are recorded using it as a term of derision in 1775. Mitford Mathews (A Dictionary of Americanism on Historical Principles [1951]) traced its rise, pointing out that no evidence of use of the word by New Englanders before the Battle of Lexington (1775) has been found.

Many fanciful derivations have been advanced. A mythical tribe of Massachusetts Indians, the Yankos (“Invincibles”), were said to have been defeated by brave New Englanders who then somehow assumed their name. Virginians countered with the story that the word means coward or slave and is derived from the Cherokee word eankke; no such word exists in the Cherokee language. These and many other theories about the origin of Yankee and of Yankee Doodle are reviewed and are all rejected in a comprehensive study conducted for the Librarian of Congress by Oscar G. Sonneck (1873–1928): Report on “The Star-Spangled Banner,” “Hail Columbia,” “America,” “Yankee Doodle” (1909)
Loved Jimmy Cagney

Can someone take the time and effort to explain the state of play? Are they buying us or is it just rumours?

Thanks, I CBA reading through this thread or doing my own research x
Doesn’t work like that I’m afraid mate you have to dive in head first and let it consume you

...but they would't be offended at its use?

Like 'Brit'. Apart from Ireland the term is non-derogatory and common currency for people of these islands, and self-applied.

That's true. But because it was first used in a negative sense by the Irish, I hate it. I'm English if anyone asks me if I'm a Brit. I've heard it used on the BBC news. Standards!

Dave’s unnatural hatred of Dan Friedkin has nothing at all to do with him being a “yank” but rather more to do with his Jewish ethnicity.
giphy.gif

….,Well meself and a hundred more, to America sailed o'er
Our fortunes to be made we were thinkin'
But when we got to Yankee land, they shoved a gun into our hands
Saying "Paddy, you must go and fight for Lincoln"

I think Vici Private Finance would be the best to take over the running of Everton FC, there is something obscure about about the firm in the running as favourites buy us.
You're welcome to extol the virtues of Vici Private Finance to us all.

A group that no-one had heard of until a week ago, didn't exist 6 months ago and who no-one has the foggiest is backing them.

Don't forget shipping our stadium over to Rome.

Why does everyone think he chose us? The stadium is on an estuary and ready to go. A few swift blows from a good size mallet on the fan plaza and off it'll crack, bobbing into the Mersey.
That'd be much appreciated. 😂 Perhaps the only way to see a new stadium in Rome soon. Just the other day the civil court blocked the geognostic surveys in Pietralata - the new location chosen by TFG - on appeal by one of the residents. One man is stopping a 700 million project. This obstacle will be surely overcome, but anybody, literaly anybody can pose a threat. This is Italy. 😖

And because our new fiercest rivals - Lazio - play in blue, we can no longer entertain any shade of the colour.

Our new club colour has been described in some quarters as "burnt orange".
Everton is deep blue. They wear sky blue and white, just like Manchester City.

I'm not that bothered about it but I can see why people aren't sure. If all their interest was in us you can see the benefit and if their other club was FC Twente or someone you can see the benefit but Everton and Roma is a bit different to any other multi club set up I can think of so theres a few more questions being asked about how it will work.
It'd be surely a first. I cant' see two club of more or less the same magnitude and potential like these 2 in the other multiclub setups.

Yes im sure it would be more, like you say. Prize money etc.

Lots more to it too, Roma's world-wide reach is massive, lots of Italians in America.

You can see why they want us & Roma, both potentially a big reach - for different reasons.

I would say Romas reach and potential is more like a Spurs/Arsenal than us, with us bieng in the capital city etc.
Roma's potential lies in its name. The name Roma is massive and can be marketed everywhere in the world if you create something valuable on the pitch. If building a stadium in Italy weren't a nightmare, Roma would have incredible opportunities of development despite a weak league. But the league is weak exactly because nobody seems to be able to build a stadium (with the exceptions of Juventus, Atalanta and Udinese). 😂

I think both clubs will be ran in a way that allows both to thrive.

Time will tell I suppose.

But I doubt Danny F is aiming to throw away the billions he's investing in both teams.
I find your posts pretty wise.

We tend to think of the future by applying the categories of the past to reality. Actually, with FFP, no owner can pump money in a football team, buying players as he sees fit. The Abramovich era is over. What a wealthy owner can do is pay debts, stabilise finances and appoint a competent management. You have to increase your revenues if you want to raise your payroll, buy the best players and so on.

Realising this, Friedkin will do at Everton what he's tried to do at Roma: pay debts, stabilise finances and appoint a competent management. As for the competent management, at Roma we're not done yet. 😂

For the rest, both teams will manage the resources they get in the best way possible with a view to increasing them, pursue their agenda and try to benefit from their mutual relationship and from Cannes, which could effectively be the "feeder club" of the Friedkin galaxy.

This makes sense to me.

I think their are more Italian football fans aorund the world than you think, they have 4/5 huge names in world football, maybe as much to do with Italian culture mass spread around the globe & Serie A is a big name, maybe not as much as the Prem now, buts its still an elite league, and has been for decades.

But, any club can become huge with all the correct success on the pitch, and right marketing & structure off it.

Totally agree.

They're very good at marketing and, being showbiz men, know how to make a show. Look at what they came up with when we signed Dybala.

Something unprecedented.

But their crest is 2 babies sucking on a wolf's tits... we win, unless they change our crest to Duncan Ferguson and Wayne Rooney sucking gravy from Sam Allardyce's tits then Roma win.
ahaah it surely seems strange. It's a reference to the founding myth of Rome. Those 2 babies are Romulus and Remus.

Personally I prefer our 80s logo, the "lupetto", literally "little-wolf", even though it should be named "little she-wolf".

Both logos are used interchangeably. This year's home kit featured the lupetto.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back