The next manager appointment (new thread)

The next manager appointment

• David Moyes

Votes: 104 21.6%
  • Carlos Corberan

Votes: 76 15.8%
  • Wayne Rooney

Votes: 11 2.3%
  • Thomas Frank

Votes: 49 10.2%
  • Graham Potter

Votes: 62 12.9%
  • Marcelo Bielsa

Votes: 11 2.3%
  • Abel Ferreira

Votes: 10 2.1%
  • Imanol Alguacil

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Henrik Rydstrom

• Kjetil Knutsen

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Davide Ancelotti

Votes: 54 11.2%
  • Sarina Wiegman

Votes: 17 3.5%
  • Gareth Southgate

Votes: 9 1.9%
  • Sergio Conceicao

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • Roger Schmidt

• Edin Terzic

Votes: 14 2.9%
  • Kasper Hjulmand

• Christian Streich

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • A caretaker like Big Sam, Warnock etc

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • Mister X not mentioned

Votes: 48 10.0%

• Total voters
I was working in the John Smith's in a sports role while he was working at Town, so I saw a lot of football there during his tenure. In the club, there wasn't anyone who said anything other than him being a top, top manager. The work at Huddersfield was excellent. He had a really mediocre squad, a very precarious ownership, and a lot of turbulence at the club and managed to make Huddersfield one of the hardest teams to play against and beat in the division. Getting to a playoff final with that squad deserved a medal by itself, and he was one dodgy penalty decision against Forest (who have the cheek to talk about refereeing decisions) away from being a Premier League manager.

At West Brom, up until recently he's faced a similar situation, come out the other end, and his team now looks one of the most effective, cohesive, and exciting in the league. Two goals conceded in six games. At Olympiacos, he was set up to fail and made some mistakes, but everyone makes mistakes. It's a blot on his copy book, but doesn't seem to have stopped his momentum.

Plays some really decent football as well although despite his Bielsa connections, it isn't the same. Lots of baiting the opposition with slow build-up and breaking at pace, lot of creative set piece routines as well. While he used a load of different shapes at Huddersfield, pretty much setting up to stifle the opposition, he seems to have used a 4-2-3-1 everywhere else. Town played 3-4-3, 3-5-2, 4-3-3, and 4-4-2, sometimes in consecutive weeks.

I remember a journalist who covered Town and was a good mate of Chris Wilder, who said that Wilder told him he had been preparing for Town to play in a certain way, and when they kicked off they were able to spring a completely different plan on Boro that they couldn't match - Town won that game 2-0 away, by the way, apparently he described it as "one of the hardest games he's ever managed."

Everton would be really, really lucky to get him, and he has been used to pulling sides that are out of kilter into shape and making poor players better by building a really cohesive gameplan. Sound like it might be a decent fit for me.
It seems like your man could be worth looking at if / when Sean Dyche is removed but for now I’m settling on Dyche keeping us in the premier league this season.

Sarri would do for me. Have always liked him, very experienced winner. The type of Manager I am expecting the new guys to appoint.
Reservation with Sarri is he is 66 in January, and Everton isn’t a short-term project.

There’s an opportunity to get a DOF and manager in place who will work together over the course of a few years to really put a team and a structure in place. I’m not sure where someone like Sarri would fit into that.

I was working in the John Smith's in a sports role while he was working at Town, so I saw a lot of football there during his tenure. In the club, there wasn't anyone who said anything other than him being a top, top manager. The work at Huddersfield was excellent. He had a really mediocre squad, a very precarious ownership, and a lot of turbulence at the club and managed to make Huddersfield one of the hardest teams to play against and beat in the division. Getting to a playoff final with that squad deserved a medal by itself, and he was one dodgy penalty decision against Forest (who have the cheek to talk about refereeing decisions) away from being a Premier League manager.

At West Brom, up until recently he's faced a similar situation, come out the other end, and his team now looks one of the most effective, cohesive, and exciting in the league. Two goals conceded in six games. At Olympiacos, he was set up to fail and made some mistakes, but everyone makes mistakes. It's a blot on his copy book, but doesn't seem to have stopped his momentum.

Plays some really decent football as well although despite his Bielsa connections, it isn't the same. Lots of baiting the opposition with slow build-up and breaking at pace, lot of creative set piece routines as well. While he used a load of different shapes at Huddersfield, pretty much setting up to stifle the opposition, he seems to have used a 4-2-3-1 everywhere else. Town played 3-4-3, 3-5-2, 4-3-3, and 4-4-2, sometimes in consecutive weeks.

I remember a journalist who covered Town and was a good mate of Chris Wilder, who said that Wilder told him he had been preparing for Town to play in a certain way, and when they kicked off they were able to spring a completely different plan on Boro that they couldn't match - Town won that game 2-0 away, by the way, apparently he described it as "one of the hardest games he's ever managed."

Everton would be really, really lucky to get him, and he has been used to pulling sides that are out of kilter into shape and making poor players better by building a really cohesive gameplan. Sound like it might be a decent fit for me.

Probably it's fair to say he's the pragmatic version of Bielsa, whilst not being as specular to watch in terms of style, but tactically way more flexible.

To mention he plays solid football, adapts to teams and also doesn't neglect the importance of having a good defensive side. His records at Huddersfield and West Brom prove that. He turned Huddesfield from one of the worst into one of the best defenses in the league within a short time.

He has a 2m buy-out clause apparently, and certainly would be on a lower salary than Dyche. Considering the financial position would improve with getting rid of a good part of debts under Friedkin, that seems affordable.

He will end up in a top 5 league soon without a doubt, it might be with West Brom, but also could see a good prem or Spanish team to come in for him.

If he works out like at Huddersfield or West Brom you surely have the risk of losing him to a big club one day.

Last edited:
Sarri would be a disaster. Not because I don't want him and not because he isn't a great manager.

He will come in with his hard-core possession identity and tbh. Our players are just not capable of this. We've been down this road of trying to drum possession and cute triangles into our current crop and they are physically unable.

Carlo came to this realization after about 5-6 games and just played percentage football with us

I think he’d be a great appointment

Sarri would be a disaster. Not because I don't want him and not because he isn't a great manager.

He will come in with his hard-core possession identity and tbh. Our players are just not capable of this. We've been down this road of trying to drum possession and cute triangles into our current crop and they are physically unable.

Carlo came to this realization after about 5-6 games and just played percentage football with us
In general I agree that a massive system change mid-season could go very badly. I think you’re being a touch unfair on the players, this current crop hasn’t really been given an opportunity to play football under Dyche, but we’ve seen glimpses in recent games they can.

A lot has changed since Carlo, even since Lampard, you can’t just say that Everton as a club can’t play possession football and that’s that. It depends on the players and the players change. I wouldn’t go for such a drastic change as Sarri but for me a midfield core of the likes of Mangala-Garner-McNeil-Ndiaye-Lindstrom has more technical quality than they are maybe allowed to show.

Italian journalists linked us to Sarri , from a football analysis site disussing his signature style of play known as sarri ball basically the antithesis of dyche ball:
"Sarri’s Napoli became widely recognized for its unique style of play predicated upon verticality in possession, high-tempo passing, and circuit-based football. His team typically utilised third-man runs to either draw defenders out of position, provide a clear option for progression, or break through the opposition’s defensive block."

This isn’t really true and who tried that ? If you say lampard. He had Myko,
Tarkowski, gana, McNeil of this group playing regularly.
The squad has changed a lot in 18
Months and will change again next summer with all the out of contract players,
It's up to the new dof and manager to buy the players to suit a style.

Think we played decent football under Carlo, but in the 2’d half of that season injuries kicked in. Not sure what you can play with holgate and Godfrey as your full backs and doucoure and Allan in midfield

In general I agree that a massive system change mid-season could go very badly. I think you’re being a touch unfair on the players, this current crop hasn’t really been given an opportunity to play football under Dyche, but we’ve seen glimpses in recent games they can.

A lot has changed since Carlo, even since Lampard, you can’t just say that Everton as a club can’t play possession football and that’s that. It depends on the players and the players change. I wouldn’t go for such a drastic change as Sarri but for me a midfield core of the likes of Mangala-Garner-McNeil-Ndiaye-Lindstrom has more technical quality than they are maybe allowed to show.

Corberan seems like a good fit in this matter. Started very pragmatic there, but with every window he transformed it more and more to a fluid style. I read there is another development in style comparing to last season.

The transfer window seemed to work out pretty well. Reduced the wage bill, reduced the age of the squad, arguably improved the squad, definitely improved the balance in the squad overall under financial restrictions if I am informed rightly.

@Littlesue as a fan can maybe correct, clarify or add to it.

This is where the problems start though, lets have a proper DoF installed and let them pick the person that they want to work with, let's have some continuity for once.
According to talksport thats what Friedkin did in Roma. Hired ‘trusted football people’ to overlook the operation and not get involved themselves in the footballing side of things.

This isn’t really true and who tried that ? If you say lampard. He had Myko,
Tarkowski, gana, McNeil of this group playing regularly.
The squad has changed a lot in 18
Months and will change again next summer with all the out of contract players,
It's up to the new dof and manager to buy the players to suit a style.

Think we played decent football under Carlo, but in the 2’d half of that season injuries kicked in. Not sure what you can play with holgate and Godfrey as your full backs and doucoure and Allan in midfield
I think Sarri would be a good and quite ambitious appointment tbh. If we have a have a few more players like N’Diaye and even Lindstrom who can play forward, it’d help if that’s his style.

I would be happy with Sarri. Not happy with the circumstances into which he would be joining us, but if we do need a change, then he would make for a very solid appointment. He has said that football has changed in ways he doesn't like though, so from that viewpoint there is always a concern that he may not have the drive and energy for what is a huge job. It would be a single contract only you would imagine.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back