The summer 2013 Everton transfer rumourZ thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help the Yank, please:

Aston Villa paid in the region of 7m for Benteke last season, which isn't far off what Everton have paid for Kone. With Jelavic and Anichebe already on the roster, why doesn't Everton take a gamble on an all-or-nothing young player with potential?

Logically, I can't make sense of the thing.

Help the Yank, please:

Aston Villa paid in the region of 7m for Benteke last season, which isn't far off what Everton have paid for Kone. With Jelavic and Anichebe already on the roster, why doesn't Everton take a gamble on an all-or-nothing young player with potential?

He'll be worth about £15 million now he's proved himself.

Villa are not in a selling mood, and he just signed a new contract I reckon? He will only go for silly money ie 24M+

Help the Yank, please:

Martinez doesn't want to be blowing money immediately. He's brought someone in who he knows and trusts to do a job for us this season and next. Our squad will likely look much different in 2 seasons time so think of it as a short term option for the transition of Moyes's Everton to Martinez's Everton.

He'll be worth about £15 million now he's proved himself.

That's why JustOpp is trying to say we should have gone in for a young player for around 6 or 7 million much like Villa did with Benteke. Kone won't be much of an improvement in most opinions, so why not try and win big with a young talent vs. signing a 30 year old 12 goals a season guy. That's what I think he was saying at least.

That's why JustOpp is trying to say we should have gone in for a young player for around 6 or 7 million much like Villa did with Benteke. Kone won't be much of an improvement in most opinions, so why not try and win big with a young talent vs. signing a 30 year old 12 goals a season guy. That's what I think he was saying at least.

It's hard to just scout a Benteke in a few weeks, however we do need need strengthening up front. So he went with a player that he knows can do a job. While we'll probably see him signing more obscure/unknown players next season.

Not gonna lie, not overly thrilled with signing Kone. But I can see where the manager is coming from.

It's hard to just scout a Benteke in a few weeks, however we do need need strengthening up front. So he went with a player that he knows can do a job. While we'll probably see him signing more obscure/unknown players next season.

Not gonna lie, not overly thrilled with signing Kone. But I can see where the manager is coming from.

Absolutely can see where he's coming from. I just don't want him to be one that always plays it safe. This seems an odd signing because most don't see him as a massive upgrade, and for 6 million, surely there's a prospect somewhere that would add more if not now than in the future. I mean, look what we got Mirallas for. There's quality all over the world. Just have to find it, and sometimes you must take a chance. It's all about risk vs. reward. It'd be much more risk to take a punt on a youngster like Benteke was when Villa bought him, but there's always that possibility of striking it rich. Martinez knows Kone better than anyone on here though, so I'll trust him for now. I just agree that it's an odd signing considering what we already have up front.

Not surprisingly, Carolina Blue guessed my poorly constructed intentions. I don't suggest we go for Benteke. What I don't understand is why their isn't a greater emphasis on finding the next Benteke, in much the same way Cardiff signed Cornelius.

I know basketball, not football. I'm sure there's a sound reason for not taking those kinds of gambles.

Christ, do you really think its that easy to go and gamble 5M on getting 'a Benteke'??

For Every Benteke there are 5 Bebe's, 10 Jo's, 14 David Bentley's.

If it was that easy every manager in the world would never lose their job.

Have i seriously just read somebody saying that they can't see the sense in us signing a proven PL striker for £5m over taking a risk on a young player who may or may not be good when we don't spend money ?

Come on.

Christ, do you really think its that easy to go and gamble 5M on getting 'a Benteke'??

For Every Benteke there are 5 Bebe's, 10 Jo's, 14 David Bentley's.

If it was that easy every manager in the world would never lose their job.
Sensible posting mother****er.
I think people have genuinely gotten too used to Moyes pulling out rabbits from hats transfer wise. I also don't think Martinez has had the time to extensively scout Everton targets sufficiently. But aside from that...

Sensible posting mother****er.
I think people have genuinely gotten too used to Moyes pulling out rabbits from hats transfer wise. I also don't think Martinez has had the time to extensively scout Everton targets sufficiently. But aside from that...

Aside from that, just dip into the market and grab 'a Mirallas' for 5m.

Or go and get yourself 'a Bily' for 10M, every transfer is a gamble, what Martinez has done here is get us a player he has worked closely with and believes will give us that extra dimension needed up front rather than gamble on an unknown.

Ah, such a polite bunch you are. Ask a question seeking knowledge and get derided for it all the same. You guys would fit in well here in New York.

All the same, thanks for the basic framework of the information I was looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back