Not open for further replies.
Imagine. (Without selling anyone)

Howard
Coleman Jagielka Distin Baines
Fellaini Gibson
Moses Mirallas Deulofeu
Kone

SUBS: Robles Alcaraz Duffy Pienaar Barkley Anichebe Jelavic

Very good TEAM and SQUAD in my opinion. And thats without selling anyone.
I could handle Kone if that was the team.

£20 m. would be a good price for a 28 year old I agree.

I'm however thinking that someone like Baines would really thrive under the playing style of Martinez. Maybe he's thinking that under Moyes he will see more of the same dour defensive style, and he might not want that.

The same dour style that saw Baines finish the season as the most creative player in Europe?
And that saw Everton average 54 league goals per season over the last 4 years.

The same attacking style that saw Wigan average 41 league goals a season under Martinez?

Imagine. (Without selling anyone)

Howard
Coleman Jagielka Distin Baines
Fellaini Gibson
Moses Mirallas Deulofeu
Kone

SUBS: Robles Alcaraz Duffy Pienaar Barkley Anichebe Jelavic

Very good TEAM and SQUAD in my opinion. And thats without selling anyone.

That's without selling anyone, but with you assuming we'll purchase 4 more players.
You realize the error of your logic, yes?

Is it so hard to imagine we'll spend £13m on Kone and Moses with others a free and a loan? They'd still be making off with £12m.

The same dour style that saw Baines finish the season as the most creative player in Europe?

The same attacking style that saw Wigan average 41 league goals a season under Martinez?

Baines on the left playing 3 at the back, Coleman bombing down the right, Pienaar inside left and Mirallas inside right.
If that doesn't make Bainesy happy i don't know what will. A new Interpol record, maybe.

Your constant negativity is so tedious.

That's without selling anyone, but with you assuming we'll purchase 4 more players.
You realize the error of your logic, yes?

Purchase?
Well Robles is rumoured to be £600k, Moses and Deulofeu will be loans, Moses being a loan with a view to buy and Alcaraz is free. So there is absolutely nothing wrong with my logic.

He wasn't being negative though, he was merely pointing out that the assertion that Baines would receive some added attacking licence under Martinez is pure folly, given the stats of what he & the team produced under Moyes.

Martinez was managing Wigan, Moyes was managing Everton. It's barely a surprise that we scored more goals than Wigan is it?

Martinez was managing Wigan, Moyes was managing Everton. It's barely a surprise that we scored more goals than Wigan is it?

Maybe not, but I think the salient point was that Baines created more chances than any other player in Europe, so the inference that he's going to be 'released' by Martinez is a misnomer

20m for Baines would be too good to turn down,but David Moyes won't pay anything close to that for a player who is 29 next birthday.
Really,it all depends on Baines , if his head has been turned by Utd and Moyes then he can force through a sale at a price less than we want.If he stays out of it or signs a new contract then Moyes will walk away because he won't spend more than he thinks a players worth.

The more I see the more I am convinced that Moyes and Utd are not a good blend,I will be interested to see where things will be in twelve months time.

The thing with Baines is that he is definitely irreplaceable for us in his position. In other words, even if we did get 20 million and were prepared to splash all 20m and his wages on another left back, there isn't another left back in the world of the same quality that we could get (the ones who are as good are all at CL/championship contender clubs).

Having said that, left back does not have to be a priority area for the team. If we sign a solid left back for 5-6m and use the rest to buy a top notch midfielder/winger, the team overall could actually gain more than it loses with Baines' departure.

In addition, every time I've seen Oviedo play I have been impressed. Perhaps he could do a job for us there... he's definitely a great back-up in that role anyhow.

Purchase?
Well Robles is rumoured to be £600k, Moses and Deulofeu will be loans, Moses being a loan with a view to buy and Alcaraz is free. So there is absolutely nothing wrong with my logic.

Purchase
a archaic : gain, acquire
b : to acquire (real estate) by means other than descent
c : to obtain by paying money or its equivalent :
d : to obtain by labor, danger, or sacrifice

No such thing as a free lunch, mate. Hence, logic.

The thing with Baines is that he is definitely irreplaceable for us in his position. In other words, even if we did get 20 million and were prepared to splash all 20m and his wages on another left back, there isn't another left back in the world of the same quality that we could get (the ones who are as good are all at CL/championship contender clubs).

Having said that, left back does not have to be a priority area for the team. If we sign a solid left back for 5-6m and use the rest to buy a top notch midfielder/winger, the team overall could actually gain more than it loses with Baines' departure.

In addition, every time I've seen Oviedo play I have been impressed. Perhaps he could do a job for us there... he's definitely a great back-up in that role anyhow.

also depends on formation. if we went 3 at the back then I could see Oviedo working out well as he would have defensive cover behind him. I don't want Baines to leave, but I would consider £20m and I believe he deserves Champions League football.

Oviedo and Coleman would be exciting as wing backs

Maybe not, but I think the salient point was that Baines created more chances than any other player in Europe, so the inference that he's going to be 'released' by Martinez is a misnomer

Yeah Baines was our attacking threat, basically. Everything we did came through him.

How anyone can think any manager could get him attacking more is beyond me. A Ferguson-Clough merger couldn't get him attacking more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back