The summer 2013 Everton transfer rumourZ thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not even including Holtby, or even Bale playing attacking mid as he did at times last season.

Why do they buy so many midfielders?

Because they want top quality replacements for rotation or cover for injuries and the fact they are in Europe and will play more games than most. We have mostly good championship players i.e naisy, vellios, duffy to replace our quality first team players

McCarthy has potential to be a top midfielder. That's all it is though, potential. He's far from there yet.

Anything over £5m would be utterly ludicrous.

We could pay around £10 million for Diame and Moses and yet Mccarthy is 13 million plus...

I'm sure I've read Diame's buy out clause is actually closer to £6.5m than the reported £3.5m, other reports suggest he wants £50k+ per week. Chelsea also apparently want £8m for Moses so not sure we could get Diame and McCarthy for around £10m to be honest

When Moyes bought Baines, Wigan had a decent Manager who got them to 11th.

Does it matter?

For a start I'm pretty sure Martinez is a better manager than Paul Jewell. My opinion.

But that's not the point. You're slating a manager 3 weeks into his post and judging his signings before they've played one competitive game.

And like I say Moyes bought players from crap teams too.

If Baines is getable for £16M (so many people beleive) - Then Dave Whealan is about to pull a BK/DM - Lescott 'esque' raping of someone if he gets anywhere near £20M for McCarthy.

Seriously...£20M for McCarthy, someones pulling my plonker.

Does it matter?

For a start I'm pretty sure Martinez is a better manager than Paul Jewell. My opinion.

But that's not the point. You're slating a manager 3 weeks into his post and judging his signings before they've played one competitive game.

And like I say Moyes bought players from crap teams too.

tbf back then Jewell was rated as highly as Martinez is now

With Thomas Ince having made it clear he wants to stay in the north of England, Liverpool and Everton are now 3/1 joint favourites for his signature. See all our transfer odds here.
by @skyjamiecasey 11:24 AM

Half of the fee eventually paid for McCarthy is for his potential, just like it was for Rodwell.

The fee for Baines will be for here and now full potential with no sell-on possibility.

tbf back then Jewell was rated as highly as Martinez is now

That isn't my argument anyway, the rest of my post is the argument

But even still, he only just steered them away from relegation in 07, how is he so much better than Martinez?

I didn't want Martinez myself. However I'm not gonna cry because I wanted Vitor Periera, I'm gonna get behind him and back him like we all should.

Ok, Im biased as I'm McCarthy's biggest fan outside of Wigan. IMO he has it all, physique, good passing range, equal at home as DM or box-to-box, good at getting the ball away from the opposition without committing a foul, great engine.

I would swap him for Fellaini in a heart-beat. Fella is Unique no doubt about it, but not the box-to-box midfielder I want him to be. For £24 m. we could get McCarthy and still have over £10 m. left to put towards another forward like Moses.

Don't give me the crap about signing to many Wigan players, if in a squad of 35 players 5 of them have ties to Wigan so what, if you're good enough then I don't care where we got you from. We all know that Kone is better than what we had up front, Alcaraz a different type of passing defender to all other cfs at the club. Joel could be De Gea Mark II and will provide TH with competition for the first time since he joined from Man Utd.

Most fans agree that Baines is our best player and remember where he came from. Signing the good players from the relegated clubs is a solid strategy that has worked before for us.

Also those saying that you should not sell your best players are living in a dream world, it's only the PSGs, Real Madrids, Barcelona and Bayern Munich of this world that don't sell their best players. Every club with only a handful of exceptions is a feeder club to another higher on the food chain.

May 2014..we will see like.

That isn't my argument anyway, the rest of my post is the argument

But even still, he only just steered them away from relegation in 07, how is he so much better than Martinez?

I didn't want Martinez myself. However I'm not gonna cry because I wanted Vitor Periera, I'm gonna get behind him and back him like we all should.

I'm not saying Jewell is better than Martinez, just that after the 05-06 season Jewell was touted as 'the next big thing' in management by many.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back