Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The summer 2013 Everton transfer rumourZ thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We finshed 6th becuase our legs were gone by the end when we could have gone higher with more squad investement.

The other lads were not ready, simple really.

Total Garbage that, at the tail end of the season i.e. from the start of March, there was only the Sunderland away game that was a disappointment & it was Di Canio's first home game, so quite predictable in reality. Which other results were 'our legs being gone' a factor in a poor outcome? As all I can see is 6 wins, 3 draws (the ****e, Spurs & Arsenal - all AWAY), the aformentioned Sunderland defeat & losing at Chelsea on the last day.

I find the striker debate very interesting in regards to how we, as fans look at the final tally of goals and just judge that rather than the players contribution. For example Yakubu scored almost 20 goals when we sold him to Blackburn, but they went down. He will always grab goals if he just stands around the edge of the box but his workrate and tracking back for them was dreadful.
Also we have always relied on non strikers to take deadballs. LB scores lots of freekicks and pens for example, thus effecting our strikers final total.

I hope Jelavic is given another 12 months but would not be suprised if he was sold. Whenever I saw Wigan play there was a clear pattern of pacey tricky wingers often becoming the most forward player with the striker dropping deep (perhaps explaining Martinez's interest in Anichebe in the past). N'zogbia, Moses and Mcmanaman have all flourished in this set up.

I am sure Mirallas will too. Not sure about Pienaar though but then then I wouldn't tinker too much with the left hand side.

Total Garbage that, at the tail end of the season i.e. from the start of March, there was only the Sunderland away game that was a disappointment & it was Di Canio's first home game, so quite predictable in reality. Which other results were 'our legs being gone' a factor in a poor outcome? As all I can see is 6 wins, 3 draws (the ****e, Spurs & Arsenal - all AWAY), the aformentioned Sunderland defeat & losing at Chelsea on the last day.

think the factor for it was more playing people out of form like osman howard heitenga for extended periods around chrimbo - march time, plus a few times the moyes settling for what we have bit us in the arse big time, both norwich games and a good few others

We are short of 5 players? What positions and replacing who?

3 Players for me;

Box to box centre mid.
Left mid/winger (peanuts needs competition)
Another forward.

If we could fill them gaps without selling anybody I would be very happy with our squad.

think the factor for it was more playing people out of form like osman howard heitenga for extended periods around chrimbo - march time, plus a few times the moyes settling for what we have bit us in the arse big time, both norwich games and a good few others

Which has nothing to do with his point about our 'legs being gone' at the END of the season. Those decisions were the managers choice & nothing to with not having other options.

Which has nothing to do with his point about our 'legs being gone' at the END of the season. Those decisions were the managers choice & nothing to with not having other options.

I wasnt disagreeing with you mate, if anything was agreeing that we finished the season pretty strongly all things considered

We finshed 6th becuase our legs were gone by the end when we could have gone higher with more squad investement.

To me, Moyes is the type where he has his favorite players, formation and tactics and is too coward to take risks, he deosnt like squad rotation, he used to get away with it with us by the excuse of "thin squad", in fact we had Oviedo warming the bench when Pineaar was out of form, that's just one example.

As for the ones who were not ready, Bale was not ready when he joined Spurs, they kept playing him till he became what he is now.

Apart from 4-5 clubs in the World where they can sign 20 "ready" players, the rest have to prepare those players and give them game-time to become ready, RS last year had 3 teenagers playing against us at Goodison park, none of which rated higher than Barkley.

The team needed 5 or 6 players added at the end of last season which means given we have seen 3 out and 4 in we have added to the squad by 1 player only since last season.

The 3 out were hardly playing a key part in our team, how many games did those 3 get between them in the last 3rd of the season, I can't imagine it was that many. He's replaced those 3 with 4 better quality players that will not only add something to the squad but 3 out of the 4 will possibly make the starting eleven.

I have no problem with the business he has done so far, obviously if we lose Baines or Fellaini that's a different matter and I'm sure he'll address it, but your just picking holes for the sake of it.

Bang on. It was quality not quantity that done for us.

And it didn't help that Brakley, after being great against Arsenal earlier in the week, didn't start against Sunderland and was only brought on late when he didn't have time to make a difference

I think that may have been the angriest I felt all season. More even than the game with Wigan. I felt despair during that but Barkley getting dropped against Sunderland caused only rage to swell within me

I think that RM may be looking at Mirallas as a main striker at times.We saw that in Greece he scored goals for fun and we already have Pienaar and Delafeu who play out wide and if the rumours are true RM also wants to bring in another wide man like Ince/Moses or even Sinclair has been suggested. I think that if possible RM would love to bring Moses to Goodison and the sale of Jelavic might allow that leaving us with Kone/Mirallas and Anichebe as our central strikers,with possibly Chris Long getting a look-in.We would then have Delofeu/Pienaar/Moses/Mirallas as wide players.

More pace at Everton than I have seen in a dozen years.

We finished 6th because we drew far too many matches over the whole season.

Newcastle, Wigan, QPR, Reading, Norwich, Fulham, Swansea and Southampton are games we should be winning = 16 lost points

Puts us in 2nd if we'd buried them like we shouldve done.

And it didn't help that Brakley, after being great against Arsenal earlier in the week, didn't start against Sunderland and was only brought on late when he didn't have time to make a difference

I think that may have been the angriest I felt all season. More even than the game with Wigan. I felt despair during that but Barkley getting dropped against Sunderland caused only rage to swell within me

Can't remember brakley playing against arsenal, he hasn't been seen all season....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back