Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The summer 2013 Everton transfer rumourZ thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not talking money, in talking quality players. Obviously the two are more often than not linked together. My point being we have not moved on a level with what we have signed. We need 2 quality additions into that first 11, whether there loan deals, free deals, 0-5M 10-20M.

The team with the most quality players usually wins. See man utd, Chelsea and city in recent years.

I didn't say anything about money either. I just said that you are talking about it like your league position is determined by how much quality is in your squad. This discounts the value of the manager completely and everything else that factors into how players gel together.

What really irked me was the "hard to get into top 8" bit.

Bit depressing that Spurs have now move so far ahead of us that we no longer regard them as being our competition.

I don't see why though? They're not that far ahead of us, they signed Paulinho who is a great player but he's no Fellaini. Everyone is acting as if we've gone backwards this window, whereas no team above us other than Man City have strengthened significantly.

Anyone worth raiding from some of the "lower" Premier League teams? Norwich, Stoke, Swansea etc? (It's rude to refer to them as that really, so I shan't do so again)

Sure is mate, there's some real players at the small clubs but the only issue is that they'd cost so much more than they're worth.

What? I don't think that's the case at all, our squad is MILES better than anyone below us and the others in the top 7. No team has strengthened to the point of me being worried about losing our place in the league, I feel that we've strengthened as well as other teams considering we've still got two players who are up there as the best in their respective positions.

Just my opinion but if the season was to kick off tomorrow, the 5 above us and Liverpool would finish above us. We'd be fighting it out with Swansea and maybe a over-performer or 2 for 7/8th.

I don't see why though? They're not that far ahead of us, they signed Paulinho who is a great player but he's no Fellaini. Everyone is acting as if we've gone backwards this window, whereas no team above us other than Man City have strengthened significantly.

This.

Take Bale out of their first 11 and it is not miles better than ours. Yes they are financially better off but as Deco has said they have not made any signings that worry me at all.

We have not gone backwards, we have a squad that is better than those below us and still good enough to challenge those above us and chase them. Now that the squad depth is sorted maybe we will go for those players, but squad depth is key. What the [Poor language removed] is the point of being in Europe if we don't have the squad for it and we will just get smashed everywhere.

Just my opinion but if the season was to kick off tomorrow, the 5 above us and Liverpool would finish above us. We'd be fighting it out with Swansea and maybe a over-performer or 2 for 7/8th.

No necessarily mate. We challenge those financially better off every year. Everyone last year was saying Liverpool would finish higher than us, and they didn't.

We have just finished sixth and with a little more adventure from our former manager could have been in a shake up for fourth.

As yet we have not lost anybody important from the squad,buthave strengthened in key areas. Maybe not with the high profile exotic sounding names that people crave.

However, for me the real question is if RM can get more out of the players than David Moyes did.
We simply can't make the signings Chelsea and City make so we depend on getting the best out of the players we have and ensuring a plentiful supply from the academy.
As years went by David Moyes got progressively more conservative in his approach and certainly more cautious with giving youngsters a chance. There was no allowance made for errors that youngsters make,but plenty of allowances for errors by senior players.
Remember the defeat by Leeds last season,the kids got hammered but some of the older players were forgiven for awful performances.

Fair enough (just saying I didn't mean to come across in a bad way), what makes you think we'd finish below them though?

I can see why people might feel like we have no chance, but what if Jelavic started banging them in again?

What if Kone improved his already decent scoring record and hits 15 next season?

What if Mirallas destroys the league now that he's had a warm up season?

All these possibilities make me think that we have almost strengthened more than the other teams in the way that the current crop of forwards could and SHOULD score more than last season, meaning that we could easily have a great season.

This.

Take Bale out of their first 11 and it is not miles better than ours. Yes they are financially better off but as Deco has said they have not made any signings that worry me at all.

We have not gone backwards, we have a squad that is better than those below us and still good enough to challenge those above us and chase them. Now that the squad depth is sorted maybe we will go for those players, but squad depth is key. What the [Poor language removed] is the point of being in Europe if we don't have the squad for it and we will just get smashed everywhere.

Exactly, this could be a platform season where we add the depth and focus on getting into Europe this season to add quality next summer (quality on top of the depth that is now there for the extra games).

We have just finished sixth and with a little more adventure from our former manager could have been in a shake up for fourth.

As yet we have not lost anybody important from the squad,buthave strengthened in key areas. Maybe not with the high profile exotic sounding names that people crave.

However, for me the real question is if RM can get more out of the players than David Moyes did.
We simply can't make the signings Chelsea and City make so we depend on getting the best out of the players we have and ensuring a plentiful supply from the academy.
As years went by David Moyes got progressively more conservative in his approach and certainly more cautious with giving youngsters a chance. There was no allowance made for errors that youngsters make,but plenty of allowances for errors by senior players.
Remember the defeat by Leeds last season,the kids got hammered but some of the older players were forgiven for awful performances.
The game you refer to at Leeds in the Capital cup was the end for me and Moyes, and I think iam right in saying that the
Kids never got a look in after that, so we start a new era and I really hope the kids are given a fair crack.

Listen to RM's interview on the OS, he said exactly what i said in this thread few days ago

He is looking at our players and youngsters to see where we are, based on that he will act in the market.

Some of our players have just arrived today and the likes of Howard will join in the States, add to them the youngsters, Martinez have to look at 30-40 players, evaluate them one by one, see who is automatic in starting 11, who will be in the first team, who will be backup, which youngster will likely feature and what areas we lack first team players and backups, i wouldn't expect any activity in the market (unless Baines or Fellaini are sold) until the last 2 weeks of the window

Fair enough (just saying I didn't mean to come across in a bad way), what makes you think we'd finish below them though?

I can see why people might feel like we have no chance, but what if Jelavic started banging them in again?

What if Kone improved his already decent scoring record and hits 15 next season?

What if Mirallas destroys the league now that he's had a warm up season?

All these possibilities make me think that we have almost strengthened more than the other teams in the way that the current crop of forwards could and SHOULD score more than last season, meaning that we could easily have a great season.

Exactly, this could be a platform season where we add the depth and focus on getting into Europe this season to add quality next summer (quality on top of the depth that is now there for the extra games).
I think we are one of the teams that has the most room to improve. Not necessarily in terms of where we finish, although that could change, but in terms of contributions from players. There are a few players in our team who could do more, like Jelavic, Mirrallas, Gibson, Coleman, maybe Barkley, competition for keepers, Pienaar, Gerard, our defence could tighten up more and all of this could make a difference.

If I were a youngster I would be very unhappy about my chances if the new manager comes in and starts to pack his squad from outside.
The changes he has made were necessary and sensible.
We only had one goal and needed at least one more.
Last season we only had three senior centrehalves plus Duffy. Heitinga wants out and I doubt he will be at Everton on Sept 1st,so we are back to three centrehalves plud Duffy and it looks as if Duffy or maybe Stones will be given a chance to impress and if he doesn't I think we will see another centrehalf arrive.
We all knew we needed another striker.For small money we have added a striker that CAN score goals in the premiership. I think Long and Vellios will be looked at and again if the don't impress we could see another player arrive.

In midfield we will see Barkley,Grant,Lundstram,Junior being looked at before a decision is made...even though if at all possible I think RM would love to have McCarthy at Everton.

Delofeu gives us another option on the wing and so far above all has highlighted the difference between our present and our former manager. That is a signing David Moyes would never make.

I think there are over half a dozen youngsters bursting a gut every morning to catch the eye of RM and his staff,half a dozen or more youngster thinking that they would be elevated from youngster to premiership footballer....Finch Farm must be a hugely exciting place at present.

Unlikely but maybe if we are serious about Matri, we will be speaking to the people at Juventus when we play them in the US?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back