The Unholy Trinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
...you said, ’midfield has been a problem for a while, as has defence’ but the forward line has hardly been great either.

I know it’s understandable that there’s a knee jerk reaction after a defeat, but it would be more analytical if these strategic problems were highlighted after a win. I agree with you last paragraph.

Yep. The simplistic truth is if in days gone by Lukaku was on the pitch instead of Tosun/Niasse; it would have likely been 3-3 at least on Sunday. We just don't have a clinical enough striker currently. Tosun is OK; but we're not at risk of Man U or Chelsea coming calling for him.

....... Think also we'll be in a better position to judge our midfield once Andre Gomes has played a few games. I'm sure Silva is aware of the lack of drive in midfield, hence the reason Gomes was brought in even though understandably the bigger priorities over the transfer window was left-back (Digne), centre-back (Mina and Zouma), and wingers/some guile in attack (Richarlison/Bernard).

I'm still patient enough to give it to November to see the real Marco Silva's Everton. Not excusing losing at home to West Ham, mind; and regardless of the injury/suspension list and getting accustomed to our new style of play, it has been a poor start to the season.

There is an amazing lack of positional sense within our midfield. Im the first to admit that i have moaned loads about noodlehead and his lack of positional sense but tbf to the lad he's never going to learn any when the other two are just as bad. I think this has a lot to do with why we don't dominate at times, Gana is often running around all over the shop and the fraudster is so scared to get involved he just stands off and does'nt bother half the time.
I agree with this, its almost like a pantomime scenario - it's as if gana looks at schneiderlin and hesitates and thinks 'are you gonna get in position', then when he sees MS ain't moving he has to move twice as fast to recover and often over commits and gives away a foul. It means they don't defend or attack well and end up doing neither properly.

Out of all of them I think schneiderlin probably has the highest ceiling in terms of what he might achieve for us, but most of the time it's as if he lacks the prerequisite confidence, conviction and aggression to make the most of his ability, which is a shame as he started well for us.

Everybody has to adapt, Pep did in his first season...he maybe 'adapting' this season to give him a better run at the CL
Its not for the 'Leaders' to show him the way, their job is to give him the tools he asks for so he can do his job
Silva's job is to win games
And if he can't do that its to draw them while learning why he only drew
Time is on his side for now
Unless it goes rapidly down the plughole, I'd say he had 14-18mts to show some direction and Improvement
Early days yet.
It was a massive mistake of the 'leaders' to bring Koeman in with that squad, trying to play that type of football.
That squad needed someone completely different.
They've went about it the wrong way trying to get to where they're going.
In terms of progress they took a backward step, lost time and any momentum.
Hence FS to stop any further steps backwards, steady the ship, but more lost time, increased fume, more Everton that, no change in mentality yet.

Build, consolidate, progress. Get momentum and do it all again.
Koeman and some of the signings were a leap of stupidity and blind ambition.
Is Silva the right coach, given the mess they created.
For me he's certainly another leap. (I would have gone for someone like Benitez)
But a leap of what is still very much up in the air.
Because they made this decision they should at least give him a good amount of time, 2 seasons minimum.

He has his tools. He has Brands.
He has Pickford and Keane.
He got Richarlison, Digne, Bernard, Mina, Gomes,
He has players to build with Coleman/Kenny, Walcott, Baines
He has potential in Vlasic, Onyekuru, Dowell and Davies.

But does he have the skills to change the performance, which as things stand, without Richarlison and Digne, is relegation material.
If he just exists on the points that these two will bring then progress will never be made towards and into the top 7, we'll continue to squat middle table,
no build, no progress.
But you can't say that the uncertainty over whether Silva can manage this or not has got nothing to with our leaders.
But agree, it is now up to him to make it happen.
I'd say he'll do it......with a proper 6, 8 and 9 nailed down and playing well by early next season.

....... Think also we'll be in a better position to judge our midfield once Andre Gomes has played a few games. I'm sure Silva is aware of the lack of drive in midfield, hence the reason Gomes was brought in even though understandably the bigger priorities over the transfer window was left-back (Digne), centre-back (Mina and Zouma), and wingers/some guile in attack (Richarlison/Bernard).

I'm still patient enough to give it to November to see the real Marco Silva's Everton. Not excusing losing at home to West Ham, mind; and regardless of the injury/suspension list and getting accustomed to our new style of play, it has been a poor start to the season.

That's not really being patient at all though

Midfield are easily marked out of the game, and the routine failure to complete simple passes is atrocious. They just don't work together. We've seen enough in over 12 months of tripe.

We didn't have anyone willing to put their foot in or foot on the ball in there, we didn't have the pace to get back and defend the disjointed back four. It was a mess. Gana and Snides never work especially at home. I'd try dropping one or the other drop Sig back in there and bring back Davies play a genuine flat three, best we can do until Gomes or Mcarthy is fit. It's one of the most pedestrian Everton midfields I've seen.

We didn't have anyone willing to put their foot in or foot on the ball in there, we didn't have the pace to get back and defend the disjointed back four. It was a mess. Gana and Snides never work especially at home. I'd try dropping one or the other drop Sig back in there and bring back Davies play a genuine flat three, best we can do until Gomes or Mcarthy is fit. It's one of the most pedestrian Everton midfields I've seen.
There was a time back when Moyes started playing a 5 in MF, when people asked...why do we play 5 in MF? and the answer was...because we dont have 4 good enough to play a 4 man MF.
That 5 was 7th-ish back then and there is nobody here to day would even walk into Moyes's MF of (I exclude Bernard from that as his little cameo is only, up to now a 1 off) Carsley Arteta Cahill Osman Fernandes

There was a time back when Moyes started playing a 5 in MF, when people asked...why do we play 5 in MF? and the answer was...because we dont have 4 good enough to play a 4 man MF.
That 5 was 7th-ish back then and there is nobody here to day would even walk into Moyes's MF of (I exclude Bernard from that as his little cameo is only, up to now a 1 off) Carsley Arteta Cahill Osman Fernandes
Exactly mate truth is none of them are good enough to allow us the luxury of playing Sig as a ten pushed further forward of two holders. Sig might be best deeper and could arrive with a header or strike like he did yesterday. We don't have anyone to get him the ball so we need energy and legs in there to me Gana, Sig, Davies is the best we got currently available, but they all lack in an aspect of their play but at least have physicality that Snides doesn't. We would kill for any of the players you mention some were leaders too. Something we badly miss in the middle now.

That's not really being patient at all though

.... Point is, by November we'd be in a better position to gauge his team's style of play as the players would have had long enough to adapt to it, and their new teammates. Also as I say, Gomes in midfield hopefully will make a difference to our drive in the centre of the park.

V Arsenal (only)
Diamond midfield
Less recycling through mids/defenders on the high line
Less overlapping than usual from Kenny and Digne, stay back and cover more
Soak up the pressure, cutting off the passing lanes
and attack with pace, counter with front 3
hope Bernard has a good passing range

---------Richarlison---------------------------- Walcott----------------
-----------------------------------Sig---------------------------------------
------------Bernard-----------------------------Davies-------------------
----------------------------------Gana--------------------------------------
Digne--------------Zouma-------------Holgate----------------Kenny

V Arsenal (only)
Diamond midfield
Less recycling through mids/defenders on the high line
Less overlapping than usual from Kenny and Digne, stay back and cover more
Soak up the pressure, cutting off the passing lanes
and attack with pace, counter with front 3
hope Bernard has a good passing range

---------Richarlison---------------------------- Walcott----------------
-----------------------------------Sig---------------------------------------
------------Bernard-----------------------------Davies-------------------
----------------------------------Gana--------------------------------------
Digne--------------Zouma-------------Holgate----------------Kenny

You wanna play 2,2 foot 2 midgets in the middle of the park, in the 2018 premier league?

Mate?

Status
Not open for further replies.