2020/21 Thierry Small

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Athletic article tonight. Cant see a problem with this to be honest as much as you dont want to lose a top prospect

Talks continue over a first professional deal for the 16-year-old, with a host of clubs monitoring the situation. Small, who made his debut against Sheffield Wednesday, is understood to want to see a clear pathway to first-team action before signing.
Good luck at convincing him of that

From Athletic article tonight. Cant see a problem with this to be honest as much as you dont want to lose a top prospect

Talks continue over a first professional deal for the 16-year-old, with a host of clubs monitoring the situation. Small, who made his debut against Sheffield Wednesday, is understood to want to see a clear pathway to first-team action before signing.
Fair enough. I assume he doesn't mean straight away.

Left back hes got Digne / Nkounkou ahead of him.

But in the left mid / left attacking position theres Bernard (going), Iwobi (Preferred on the right), Gordon and Richarlison (best central).

I dont see any harm in Ancelotti sticking Small on the bench for the last 9 games and throwing him on for a few minutes if were up.

Having said that, im amazed Nkounkou hasnt been thrown into games as hes looked like someone who can have an impact

Left back hes got Digne / Nkounkou ahead of him.

But in the left mid / left attacking position theres Bernard (going), Iwobi (Preferred on the right), Gordon and Richarlison (best central).

I dont see any harm in Ancelotti sticking Small on the bench for the last 9 games and throwing him on for a few minutes if were up.

Having said that, im amazed Nkounkou hasnt been thrown into games as hes looked like someone who can have an impact
The more concerning thing is he doesn't have Nkounkou ahead of him, Carlo doesn't trust Nkounkou, so when we're talking pathway to the first team what is he thinking when the perfect opportunity opens up and the young player doesn't actually get the chance? Is he sitting there saying in two to three years am I going to be the one watching and not being given the chance?

So yeah Nkounkou should be getting chances the last few weeks especially when we finally stop kidding ourselves about top four but I have a feeling he won't be and then we're going to try and tell Small about a pathway. I don't feel that good about it.

The more concerning thing is he doesn't have Nkounkou ahead of him, Carlo doesn't trust Nkounkou, so when we're talking pathway to the first team what is he thinking when the perfect opportunity opens up and the young player doesn't actually get the chance? Is he sitting there saying in two to three years am I going to be the one watching and not being given the chance?

So yeah Nkounkou should be getting chances the last few weeks especially when we finally stop kidding ourselves about top four but I have a feeling he won't be and then we're going to try and tell Small about a pathway. I don't feel that good about it.

Not sure of the relevance of top 4 ?

Were competing for a european place and also £2.5mil per position.

The games are important but if Gbamin is able to get 11mins then im not sure why Nkounkou hasnt got time, even as an out ball on the left wing with his power and pace.

Not sure of the relevance of top 4 ?

Were competing for a european place and also £2.5mil per position.

The games are important but if Gbamin is able to get 11mins then im not sure why Nkounkou hasnt got time, even as an out ball on the left wing with his power and pace.
Big picture is more important for me, Europa means very little if we aren't consistently in Europe in terms of reputation and signing players and concerning ourselves with finishing 8th instead of 10th for the extra 5m doesn't really mean much to me either.

I say it every year but we can use the last 6 or 8 or 10 games for purposes that can be more helpful long term whether that is playing younger players to see if they're any good (Godfrey and Holgate as a CB pair, Nkounkou and Virginia could all use the time) or if it is trying to hone in on a formation and style of playing so that we can take a good continuity into the following season.

I know the fans want Europe and I'm honestly fine with that but going full out for a 7th place finish can have trade offs.

Is Small ready for minutes now? Honestly no clue, but I do think it is possible that he's looking at what we do with our young players and also looking at Jadon Sancho and Bellingham and pausing.

Big picture is more important for me, Europa means very little if we aren't consistently in Europe in terms of reputation and signing players and concerning ourselves with finishing 8th instead of 10th for the extra 5m doesn't really mean much to me either.

I say it every year but we can use the last 6 or 8 or 10 games for purposes that can be more helpful long term whether that is playing younger players to see if they're any good (Godfrey and Holgate as a CB pair, Nkounkou and Virginia could all use the time) or if it is trying to hone in on a formation and style of playing so that we can take a good continuity into the following season.

I know the fans want Europe and I'm honestly fine with that but going full out for a 7th place finish can have trade offs.

Is Small ready for minutes now? Honestly no clue, but I do think it is possible that he's looking at what we do with our young players and also looking at Jadon Sancho and Bellingham and pausing.
We ain't a franchise, we play all our games, to the letter of the law, the law.

We ain't a franchise, we play all our games, to the letter of the law, the law.
We're not going down mate, we have an opportunity as we did last year, we won't take it. Young players see these things now and I worry about Small committing to us for that reason.

We're not going down mate, we have an opportunity as we did last year, we won't take it. Young players see these things now and I worry about Small committing to us for that reason.

So if its a choice of:

A: Going all out for europe (not sure why you mention 7th)

B: Throwing away europe and alternating players to optimise the team to play next season with the goal of getting europe...

You choose B ?

Thats a bit of a mad one...

Id say we throw in players off the bench in the last 5mins to give them a taste in games and make a short quick impact.

Players are keener and commerical opportunities open up when youre high up in the table.

We need our players to be getting regular games in europe and building up their experience with the target of making an impact in the champions league once we get there.

So if its a choice of:

A: Going all out for europe (not sure why you mention 7th)

B: Throwing away europe and alternating players to optimise the team to play next season with the goal of getting europe...

You choose B ?

Thats a bit of a mad one...

Id say we throw in players off the bench in the last 5mins to give them a taste in games and make a short quick impact.

Players are keener and commerical opportunities open up when youre high up in the table.

We need our players to be getting regular games in europe and building up their experience with the target of making an impact in the champions league once we get there.
My feeling is we go all out and don't get it anyway. So we get nothing.

We are a Premiership team that fights for every single point over a 38 game season.
We are not in the business of sacrificing games and points so that we can give young players a pathway into the team
They need to be good enough to come into the team and be able to contribute to a win.

Anything else and we become a bottom to mid table team developing talent for the big boys.

We are a Premiership team that fights for every single point over a 38 game season.
We are not in the business of sacrificing games and points so that we can give young players a pathway into the team
They need to be good enough to come into the team and be able to contribute to a win.

Anything else and we become a bottom to mid table team developing talent for the big boys.
The problem with this argument is you get players like Pickford who are not required to perform for multiple years to still play. We pretend to be some kind of meritocracy where the best guy gets his chance always and it is far from that.

And the point of that would be for what exactly? A push for europa league next season?

I don’t think this particular poster is arsed about where Everton finish or what we achieve. He just wants to see young talent and “progressive football”.
Considering the best chance to push youngsters through is extra fixtures in something like the europa league, id of thought he'd be all for it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back