2020/21 Thierry Small

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering the best chance to push youngsters through is extra fixtures in something like the europa league, id of thought he'd be all for it

exactky , league cup and Europa league games against crap Cypriot sides would mean plenty of opportunity to play young players to see what they’re made of

I don’t think this particular poster is arsed about where Everton finish or what we achieve. He just wants to see young talent and “progressive football”.
I'm not arsed about us finishing 8th year on year and you all need to stop confusing "playing better" with "progressive football." West Ham play better than us. West Ham are not a progressive team.

Considering the best chance to push youngsters through is extra fixtures in something like the europa league, id of thought he'd be all for it
It's not that I don't want us to make Europa, it's that we have no guarantee of making it even if we do play our strongest side for every game. And if we do that and don't make it we get absolutely nothing.

exactky , league cup and Europa league games against crap Cypriot sides would mean plenty of opportunity to play young players to see what they’re made of
Begs the question though if you aren't willing to play those guys in dead rubbers are you going to be in games that will matter for winning the competition?

What's with this strange poster who wants to sacrifice the last few games to play a 16yr old kid who probably isn't ready anyway. Am sure Carlo recognises talent and if he thinks he is ready, he will get him in the squad.
Not arsed if he moves, none of the top sides will throw him straight in and Digne is coming up to 28 now. Sounds like he thinks he is Billy big b....

The problem with this argument is you get players like Pickford who are not required to perform for multiple years to still play. We pretend to be some kind of meritocracy where the best guy gets his chance always and it is far from that.
That really is not the case

That is your opinion... a kind of conspiracy theory.

I am not even sure what the purpose or ultimate aim of this theory is.

That a vastly experienced and successful manager for no personal gain or good sporting reason decides to turn rogue and ignore all that made him successful before.

He now decides that certain players will always be picked and others won't based on God knows what reason.
At the same time he decides to close the pathway to the first team of some youngsters so that he can continue to play a chosen few.
I believe that CA a vastly experienced and successful manager picks the best players and most suitable team as he sees it from game to game.

I also think some supporters are never happy and feel they know more than they really do.

That really is not the case

That is your opinion... a kind of conspiracy theory.

I am not even sure what the purpose or ultimate aim of this theory is.

That a vastly experienced and successful manager for no personal gain or good sporting reason decides to turn rogue and ignore all that made him successful before.

He now decides that certain players will always be picked and others won't based on God knows what reason.
At the same time he decides to close the pathway to the first team of some youngsters so that he can continue to play a chosen few.
I believe that CA a vastly experienced and successful manager picks the best players and most suitable team as he sees it from game to game.

I also think some supporters are never happy and feel they know more than they really do.
I believe that too, but unfortunately I don't think we're positioned to be very successful with this level of short term thinking.

If you want to know whether or not I can be happy go back to October. I was over the moon with how things were going. But that isn't where we are now. And ultimately we're no better for it because everything is short term.

I don't really think it is a conspiracy theory to say he gives experienced players the benefit of the doubt. Almost everyone does. I just think it would serve us well to not do that all the time.

I believe that too, but unfortunately I don't think we're positioned to be very successful with this level of short term thinking.

If you want to know whether or not I can be happy go back to October. I was over the moon with how things were going. But that isn't where we are now. And ultimately we're no better for it because everything is short term.

I don't really think it is a conspiracy theory to say he gives experienced players the benefit of the doubt. Almost everyone does. I just think it would serve us well to not do that all the time.
In my opinion Ancelotti wants to win every game and picks the team accordingly .
I don't think he will ever give a young player a chance if he feels it will affect the chances of the team winning.
We have seen last summer's transfer activity show us that Ancelotti is not here to generically build a team over a number of years instead he is here to build the team as quickly as possible
So far he gas had one summer window

No doubt we have had some disappointing performances and poor results but with just eight or nine games to go we are still in the CL discussion.
It is quite some years since that has last happened

I don't think we are ready or good enough to get Cl.
I think CA has made mistakes, every manager does but the only clear path I see is Ancelotti building a successful club over a period of seasons.

But October wasn't a realistic goal was it? You were happy when we were winning 7 games in a row, but now we are not winning every week you're not happy? I mean it's fair enough, but you are going to spend msot of your time unhappy as your goals aren't in any way realistic.

I'd also say, you are talking about doing things that are best for the long term, chucking a season where we are within 3 points of 3rd (when games in hand are accounted for) when we have a favourable run in to give some younger players a go based on entirely on age would be a really short sighted move. The biggest help to the club in the medium/long term would be CL qualification.

We will probably have 3 or 4 teenagers in the match day squad tonight.

I'm also not sure he gives older players the benefit of the doubt. He has blooded Godfrey and made him a central pillar, Davies has been given increasing roles, Richarlison, Holgate and DCL have been brought in from the periphery. He has given debuts to Gordon, Nkounkou, Brainthwaite, Small and Onyango. He's been here 18 months, I can't remember the manager who last gave 5 younger players their debut.

I mean it nicely, but he has shown more faith in Godfrey than you have (for example). I'm not having a go at you for that either, but it does make it harder to take the point that he doesn't give younger players opportunities.

We are a Premiership team that fights for every single point over a 38 game season.
We are not in the business of sacrificing games and points so that we can give young players a pathway into the team
They need to be good enough to come into the team and be able to contribute to a win.

Anything else and we become a bottom to mid table team developing talent for the big boys.
What about those "expected losses" our owner is ok with? Why not use those?

But October wasn't a realistic goal was it? You were happy when we were winning 7 games in a row, but now we are not winning every week you're not happy? I mean it's fair enough, but you are going to spend msot of your time unhappy as your goals aren't in any way realistic.

I'd also say, you are talking about doing things that are best for the long term, chucking a season where we are within 3 points of 3rd (when games in hand are accounted for) when we have a favourable run in to give some younger players a go based on entirely on age would be a really short sighted move. The biggest help to the club in the medium/long term would be CL qualification.

We will probably have 3 or 4 teenagers in the match day squad tonight.

I'm also not sure he gives older players the benefit of the doubt. He has blooded Godfrey and made him a central pillar, Davies has been given increasing roles, Richarlison, Holgate and DCL have been brought in from the periphery. He has given debuts to Gordon, Nkounkou, Brainthwaite, Small and Onyango. He's been here 18 months, I can't remember the manager who last gave 5 younger players their debut.

I mean it nicely, but he has shown more faith in Godfrey than you have (for example). I'm not having a go at you for that either, but it does make it harder to take the point that he doesn't give younger players opportunities.
I don't mean winning every game I meant the way we played which actually had a possibility of continuing to win games. It wasn't the same in December when we were also winning.

Godfrey was signed having already played a season in the PL and spent on like he was a first team member. Not to mention as much as I think we're going overboard I think he should start the rest of the season to see how good he is.

Richarlison and DCL played tons under Silva too? I don't understand that part. Giving a player a debut and never using them again means nothing. Moyes have Ross his debut. Did Moyes do a lot to grow Ross as a player?

This is probably the wrong thread because I don't even think Small should play now but I can see why he'd think long and hard about committing to 3 years here.

Should sign for Dortmund if he won't sign for us, would be stupid to go to another English club, especially one better than Everton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back