This nurse Letby case

That we know of.

May well be a psychopath.
doubt it, her defence team will have explored that as if she was, and received proper treatment, that may have given her an avenue for eventual release if she could have proved she was cured an no longer a risk. For that not be even offered as a possible defence would suggest she showed no signs of psychopathy.

doubt it, her defence team will have explored that as if she was, and received proper treatment, that may have given her an avenue for eventual release if she could have proved she was cured an no longer a risk. For that not be even offered as a possible defence would suggest she showed no signs of psychopathy.

I think you have to be a bit of a psycho to kill young babies like

It appears that in this case the trust outsourced its investigation to a body, who themselves said they lacked time to thoroughly investigate, got a report...
Then that deal needs looking into, how it was financed and signed off, as well as at what point did they communicate their failure to the trust re time.

and my point re vetting is in light of...

Just thinking about this actually: Isn't she now the prisoner that has received the most severe sentence in UK history, post death penalty abolishment? I can't imagine anybody else has racked up 14 separate whole life orders. Obviously I know there is no real difference to her whether she was handed 1 or 14, but just in terms of what's officially been handed to her. Bravo to the judge.

Then that deal needs looking into, how it was financed and signed off, as well as at what point did they communicate their failure to the trust re time.

and my point re vetting is in light of...
It was done by the Royal College of Paediatrics. You can look into it in more detail yourself, although in short it raised some concerns and not others.

The point being, however, that the RCP was chosen by the Executive Team, and its findings were non-binding.* This is the point that @COYBL25 made.

They chose the organisation and chose to perceive the findings how they wished, or that's how I've understood it. The Executives still held all the power.

It was not independent in the sense that we'd all hope, so this is where an independent investigatory body should come into play. The hotline should go to them.

The senior managers and executives, who wield so much power in the NHS, should not be able to interfere, and should themselves not be exempt for scrutiny.

In terms of vetting and your concerns - he will have been vetted, and look how much use it did there. That's not a glib comment as I'm trying to make a point.

The head of the IOCP, who was never a cop by the way, was appointed even though vetted because it examines criminal records, family associations et al.

For sensitive posts, it goes even further, but again it isn’t a perfect process. Unless you've committed a crime or have intelligence against you, you'll pass.

So, should we stop having an investigatory body because of fears of vetting, even though it provides greater risk of not having one by letting people go free?

For serious examples like this (although he's still innocent as of this time), there are numerous staff in the IOCP who contribute to a much fairer, accountable system.

Transparency and case reviews in real time might be an improvement. I pointed out earlier that there is corruption in a number of places, those number of places being absolutely everywhere. So a regulatory panel instead of a top chief might also be improvement. Agreed on token appointments, I alluded to the whos and hows they were paid for in this instance earlier.

The last line isn't real is it, just as easy close off jury duty because there might be an unfound letby or shipman in the midst...

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back