This nurse Letby case

I’m really torn with this case tbh. It’s hard to get my head around what she has done, but even more so why?. She derived no benefit from doing it, unless it filled a need, and she must have known she would be found out. She needs to be punished and incarcerated for life, but someone clever has to figure out the why. It may even help her through life imprisonment if there is an identifiable reason for what she did. This really is the saddest and cruelest of cases for everybody involved and affected……

They only one I’ve seen was an apparent infatuation with a doctor and as a way of getting him closer. Far fetched I know and probably invented by one of the rags, but who knows…other than that zilch…..

She started killing before he even joined the hospital. Maybe some of the later killings/attacks was to get closer to him but he wasn't the main motive.

I’m really torn with this case tbh. It’s hard to get my head around what she has done, but even more so why?. She derived no benefit from doing it, unless it filled a need, and she must have known she would be found out. She needs to be punished and incarcerated for life, but someone clever has to figure out the why. It may even help her through life imprisonment if there is an identifiable reason for what she did. This really is the saddest and cruelest of cases for everybody involved and affected……

She a serial killer, most of us will never get our head around it. The benefits she was getting was playing god, probably enjoying the attention and watching the parents break down when the babies were fighting for their lives. She was probably getting personal kicks out of it all.
She even accuse the doctors of bullying her when they took their concerns to the managers and continued to kill. Absolute monster with no empthay whatsoever.

She a serial killer, most of us will never get our head around it. The benefits she was getting was playing god, probably enjoying the attention and watching the parents break down when the babies were fighting for their lives. She was probably getting personal kicks out of it all.
She even accuse the doctors of bullying her when they took their concerns to the managers and continued to kill. Absolute monster with no empthay whatsoever.
This was the primary motive(s) that the CPS put forward: it was the control and power she exerted; she took pleasure out of this and the suffering.

I've read on here a few times about a case built on 'lots of circumstantial evidence', but it was the trophies and actions suggesting pleasure that undid her case.

The messages she wrote at home, the medical files/notes she kept and the messages she sent to parents showed her macabre nature. It tied it all together.

This was the primary motive(s) that the CPS put forward: it was the control and power she exerted; she took pleasure out of this and the suffering.

I've read on here a few times about a case built on 'lots of circumstantial evidence', but it was the trophies and actions suggesting pleasure that undid her case.

The messages she wrote at home, the medical files/notes she kept and the messages she sent to parents showed her macabre nature. It tied it all together.
Would also fit with her refusal to hear her sentencing. Retains some control and causes more anger/pain.

I notice, that the person who was banging the drum the loudest, for his miscarriage of justice and case built on nothing but flimsy circumstantial evidence theories, seems to have gone completely silent now.

I notice, that the person who was banging the drum the loudest, for his miscarriage of justice and case built on nothing but flimsy circumstantial evidence theories, seems to have gone completely silent now.
Nope. I've said what I think will happen: an appeal.

The defence team had 3 weeks to lodge one and when the media circus goes off to their next miserable case they'll lodge it.

As I said, there were so many holes in the prosecution case (you might want to read the oppositions claims getting knocked down one after the other) that it'll almost inevitably result in an appeal.

There's no point going on about that though until it happens.

The defence team had 3 weeks to lodge one and when the media circus goes off to their next miserable case they'll lodge it.

As I said, there were so many holes in the prosecution case (you might want to read the oppositions claims getting knocked down one after the other) that it'll almost inevitably result in an appeal.

I take it you believe there to be one of the biggest all time miscarriages of justice then ?

If so, who / what killed and maimed all those babies ?

and what would the grounds for appeal be exactly?? You cant just appeal because you didnt get the result you want, there has to be a lawful reason, for example, bias summing up by Judge, impropriety by the prosecution, the jury doing something they shouldn't.

I take it you believe there to be one of the biggest all time miscarriages of justice then ?

and what would the grounds for appeal be exactly?? You cant just appeal because you didnt get the result you want, there has to be a lawful reason, for example, bias summing up by Judge, impropriety by the prosecution, the jury doing something they shouldn't.

Let's wait and see shall we?

That is one of the big reasons why there may be an appeal and why it might be successful - there are at least two incidents in the past thirty years of statistically significant excess deaths of babies (Bristol and East Kent), and in both cases investigations found neglect and other issues caused the deaths of babies that need not have died if they had been treated elsewhere (or to the standard that was expected). There are also other cases (East Staffs being the most notorious) of it happening to adults too, and it isn't unknown for the NHS to horrifically mistreat individual staff members either (for example the consultant who blew the whistle on what was happening in Bristol had to leave the country because he was unemployable here).

Once you point out that its possible for this sort of thing to happen without a malicious individual at the heart of it all, then it comes down to the other evidence in the case - and whilst (as @PhilM listed above) there is some, that is not a lot with which to defend a whole life tarriff.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back