Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

TIM HOWARD THOUGH

Status
Not open for further replies.

His so called wonder save was the result of poor positioning and indecisiveness. A top keeper comes out and claims it, a good keeper stays on his line and catches a weak effort at his near post. Howard is in the wrong position half comes out, hesitates, then has to pull a worldly.

This is my argument with Howard the same as Distin, their positioning is so poor they always have to recover in spectacular fashion which in their primes they could do but as they've passed their peak their speed has gone and now they've been found out. Players like Stones or a Martyn type last at the top level so much longer because their positioning is right to start with.

His so called wonder save was the result of poor positioning and indecisiveness. A top keeper comes out and claims it, a good keeper stays on his line and catches a weak effort at his near post. Howard is in the wrong position half comes out, hesitates, then has to pull a worldly.

This is my argument with Howard the same as Distin, their positioning is so poor they always have to recover in spectacular fashion which in their primes they could do but as they've passed their peak their speed has gone and now they've been found out. Players like Stones or a Martyn type last at the top level so much longer because their positioning is right to start with.

Spot on

Sanity ladies and gentlemen.

I'm placing you in the "knows nothing about football" category until you can convince me and @Joey66 that he should have been on his line when that cross comes in.
I only stated some fans on here recon he was out of position when he made that fantastic save, it was hard to call as it was an awkward cross! The opposition Manager praised both saves - TH was more commanding yesterday he did take charge of his box - I still maintain Doug he has been out of form and Robles should have been given a run in the team, how would TH feel if he was dropped next Sat v Swansea after one clean sheet never mind three on the bounce?

The problem with this thread is loads of people don't know about the technicalities of goalkeeping so repeat the tired cliches idiots like Micheal Owen and alan Shearer spout out, and loads just post rubbish for a wind up meaning it's impossible to have a sensible discussion regarding his positioning.

However, you're kinda right. If you watch the highlights on the OS, specifically the first angle of the cross and save you see him start to come out, shuffle a few yards forward and then stop. Thus he's a couple of yards further forward than he should be and has to backpeddle to save the shot.

But he shouldn;'t have come for the cross,it was never his to claim at that angle and the positioning of the defenders. But he shouldn't of been "on his line" either. Keepers never play on his line, you're always a little bit off.

But his problem is that he starts in the right position, but then often takes few steps forward meaning he's out of position and not set correctly to make a save.

Here he should be were the X is( which is the first frame after the ball has just come of Pelle's foot), which is where he was before the cross came in.

The problem with this thread is loads of people don't know about the technicalities of goalkeeping so repeat the tired cliches idiots like Micheal Owen and alan Shearer spout out, and loads just post rubbish for a wind up meaning it's impossible to have a sensible discussion regarding his positioning.

However, you're kinda right. If you watch the highlights on the OS, specifically the first angle of the cross and save you see him start to come out, shuffle a few yards forward and then stop. Thus he's a couple of yards further forward than he should be and has to backpeddle to save the shot.

But he shouldn;'t have come for the cross,it was never his to claim at that angle and the positioning of the defenders. But he shouldn't of been "on his line" either. Keepers never play on his line, you're always a little bit off.

But his problem is that he starts in the right position, but then often takes few steps forward meaning he's out of position and not set correctly to make a save.

Here he should be were the X is( which is the first frame after the ball has just come of Pelle's foot), which is where he was before the cross came in.

Agreed with that much pace and trajectory the cross comes in and the fact two defenders are round the attacker no goalkeepers coming for that cross, it's not great positioning for him and he's been to hesitant and finds himself in limbo. He does make a good recovery though and gets himself out of a bad postion.

All this talk of coming for the cross or staying on his line is utter nonsense said by people looking to take pot shots at Howard when they clearly know nothing about where a keeper should be and when. There easily to catergories, most a just plain ignorant of football but others seem to have different agendas.

Doug you like that picture frame above with the X on where TH should have been in position - the poster is criticising TH for being out of position ?
Which some posters have been arguing with you can you make your mind up I'd he have to make a worldly save because he was not stood where the X indicates on the freeze frame?
If he had have been stood there he would have caught the ball or tipped it over the bar etc?
His positioning has been my big worry, as as a shot stopper he has always been ok, but I reiterate he has had a shocking season Doug!​

Agreed with that much pace and trajectory the cross comes in and the fact two defenders are round the attacker no goalkeepers coming for that cross, it's not great positioning for him and he's been to hesitant and finds himself in limbo. He does make a good recovery though and gets himself out of a bad postion.

All this talk of coming for the cross or staying on his line is utter nonsense said by people looking to take pot shots at Howard when they clearly know nothing about where a keeper should be and when. There easily to catergories, most a just plain ignorant of football but others seem to have different agendas.

To be honest mate i reckon you'd be best off just ignoring most of it cause it's said to wind you up.

I realsie it might make me sound like an arrogant arse to say that i'm right and others are wrong, some people probably think they're right in what they say.

Like yesterday and Mignolet against Arsenal. I believe Micheal Owen and Alan Shearer said the he should have done better with the Sanchez one cause it was down the middle, and Ian Wright said he should have done better with the free kick cause it was his side.

Just dumb lazy cliches from idiots who don't have a clue why he didn't save those shots regardless of the fact they were down the middle and on his side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back