Confirmed Signing Tim Iroegbunam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t remember this.

Most people don't because unlike some clubs we don't/didn't whine on and on about our injuries to the press.

For the last 5-6 games or so we were playing a winger (Diaby/Bailey) and a full-back (Cash) in midfield as we had lost Luiz (suspended for a couple), Tielemans, Ramsey, Rogers, Dendoncker had gone on loan, Kamara and were struggling in that area of the pitch McGinn had to drop deep which isn;t his game, and Luiz when he came back also then dropped deep. It altered the way we had been playing as Luiz was our tempo and controlled everything and McGinn the bulldozer.

Still, during all this time Iroegbunam (pronounce Iro-boo-num) wasn't truested by Emery. He'd neat and tidy but just that. To be fair the team he was trying to get into is a top 4 team so that in itself shouldn't be held against him. Also, given that we sold Aaron Ramsey last year for around £15-18m to Burnley this smacks of a quick fire sale for bloody PSR nonsense reasons. It may also be a make weight for another deal that we'll announce with Everton after the Euros (Onana?) as it appears we need to get some funds in before June 30th.

Will he start every game? I doubt it but for £10m you're buying potential. Was he good? Yeah, okay. Was he bad? No, just your steady eddy. Is he a Prem player? Not yet but won't necessarily look out of place if he is only getting 15-20 mins here and there to shore up a midfeld.

Most people don't because unlike some clubs we don't/didn't whine on and on about our injuries to the press.

For the last 5-6 games or so we were playing a winger (Diaby/Bailey) and a full-back (Cash) in midfield as we had lost Luiz (suspended for a couple), Tielemans, Ramsey, Rogers, Dendoncker had gone on loan, Kamara and were struggling in that area of the pitch McGinn had to drop deep which isn;t his game, and Luiz when he came back also then dropped deep. It altered the way we had been playing as Luiz was our tempo and controlled everything and McGinn the bulldozer.

Still, during all this time Iroegbunam (pronounce Iro-boo-num) wasn't truested by Emery. He'd neat and tidy but just that. To be fair the team he was trying to get into is a top 4 team so that in itself shouldn't be held against him. Also, given that we sold Aaron Ramsey last year for around £15-18m to Burnley this smacks of a quick fire sale for bloody PSR nonsense reasons. It may also be a make weight for another deal that we'll announce with Everton after the Euros (Onana?) as it appears we need to get some funds in before June 30th.

Will he start every game? I doubt it but for £10m you're buying potential. Was he good? Yeah, okay. Was he bad? No, just your steady eddy. Is he a Prem player? Not yet but won't necessarily look out of place if he is only getting 15-20 mins here and there to shore up a midfeld.

Erm, what? I’ve literally just checked your starting line ups for the last 5 games and in every one at least two of those midfielders were in the team. At no point did Matty Cash play in central midfield from what I can see.

mate's a QPR fan and he said he was good when on loan there. Clearly had premierleague ability, just needs to grow up a bit but he's got all the attributes to be a good player.
It's the kind of smart signing where with 1 good season we could easily triple our money

Don’t remember this.

Kamara did his ACL in February and out for the season.

Jacob Ramsey injured in early March and didn't play another game.

McGinn got sent off v Spurs in mid March and missed the next three prem games.

Luiz got a two match ban in the April with 10 yellows.

Tielemans out injured for last month.

He made one start in that period so a long way from being regular but they were top 4 so difference in quality compared to what is here.

Kamara did his ACL in February and out for the season.

Jacob Ramsey injured in early March and didn't play another game.

McGinn got sent off v Spurs in mid March and missed the next three prem games.

Luiz got a two match ban in the April with 10 yellows.

Tielemans out injured for last month.

He made one start in that period so a long way from being regular but they were top 4 so difference in quality compared to what is here.

Tielemans played and scored in the final home game against Liverpool, no idea where this has come from. McGinn started the last 8 games.

In spite of listening to the almost constant chatter about our financial situation there are still people who have unrealistic expectations regarding this summers transfer activities.

We simply can't afford to spend the money needed to bring in established first team players.

We have to be more creative and we have to try to sign young players and develop them as we did with Stones, Branthwaite, Vlasic , Lookman and others.

There is a level of risk but the outlay is small.
Iroegbunam is unlikely to get much football at Villa this season whereas he could have a bigger part to play at Everton as the season progresses.
Coming from a good club, with quite a bit of experience already... the kind of signing we need to be making.

Erm, what? I’ve literally just checked your starting line ups for the last 5 games and in every one at least two of those midfielders were in the team. At no point did Matty Cash play in central midfield from what I can see.

Diaby was sort of playing as a number 10 v RS so think that's what he's getting at. Basically the first choice midfield for Villa for half the season was Kamara-Luiz-McGinn and Tielemans also started some games.

End of the season it was just Luiz-McGinn and then three attackers behind Watkins so changed the team shape rather than starting Iroegbunam.

He's clearly not good enough for a top 4 team. However you'd like to think he could do alright in a bottom half team within a few months.

Let's not forget James Garner was just a fringe player for first half of 22/23 and he was coming off an excellent loan spell at Forest.

Tielemans played and scored in the final home game against Liverpool, no idea where this has come from. McGinn started the last 8 games.

He managed an hour and wasn't really fit.

Just looking at Soccerbase and he went off at half time v Chelsea and didn't play Brighton, Palace either side of RS and either leg of Olympiakos SF.

I think the point being made is they had various midfielders out short or long term in final three months and he made the grand total of one prem start so he's a fair way off being a regular.

On the final day at Palace when they had nothing to play for Calum Chambers started in midfield ahead of him.

He's a good prospect but as I said yesterday he'd be on the bench as regularly as Chermiti was last season given the experienced options still at this club who play in central midfield. Garner is 18 more months down the line in his development at prem level.

He managed an hour and wasn't really fit.

Just looking at Soccerbase and he went off at half time v Chelsea and didn't play Brighton, Palace either side of RS and either leg of Olympiakos SF.

I think the point being made is they had various midfielders out short or long term in final three months and he made the grand total of one prem start so he's a fair way off being a regular.

On the final day at Palace when they had nothing to play for Calum Chambers started in midfield ahead of him.

He's a good prospect but as I said yesterday he'd be on the bench as regularly as Chermiti was last season given the experienced options still at this club who play in central midfield. Garner is 18 more months down the line in his development at prem level.

I'd rather judge players when they get consistent game time. It's hard to assess how good players are when they're given bit part game time.

No clue on the player - hadn't heard of him, never mind seen him kick a ball.

Monchi and Emery are no mugs is my concern.

Hopefully they'd usually be looking for a loan for him, but FFP could be forcing their hands a bit.
According to that Roma fan he was terrible for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back