Confirmed Signing Tim Iroegbunam

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have absolutely no idea whether this Tim guy is any good but what this proposed deal tells us is that either
1. We don't have a PSR hole that needs to be urgently fixed or
2. We have a deal, presumably for Onana that is ready to go in the next few days

I'd rather judge players when they get consistent game time. It's hard to assess how good players are when they're given bit part game time.

I can't see him getting in ahead of any of Gana-Garner-Doucs.

Plenty of moaning about them on the forum but ultimately they were trusted as the unit to get the club over the line from Forest at home and delivered for the manager and fans. They'll all be starting v Brighton if fit in two months.

In any case given Andre Gomes was a regular presence from Spurs away in December he certainly needs to be replaced aswell so I'd be expecting a more senior CM to come in at some point in the summer so they'd likely be ahead of Tim if there's two CM signings this summer as there should be.

I can't see him getting in ahead of any of Gana-Garner-Doucs.

Plenty of moaning about them on the forum but ultimately they were trusted as the unit to get the club over the line from Forest at home and delivered for the manager and fans. They'll all be starting v Brighton if fit in two months.

In any case given Andre Gomes was a regular presence from Spurs away in December he certainly needs to be replaced aswell so I'd be expecting a more senior CM to come in at some point in the summer so they'd likely be ahead of Tim if there's two CM signings this summer as there should be.

He isn't being signed to start. He's being signed, like Garner, to be on the fringes and then hopefully be ready to step in the season after. I think we will sell Onana and sign a starting midfielder along with Timmy.

He isn't being signed to start. He's being signed, like Garner, to be on the fringes and then hopefully be ready to step in the season after. I think we will sell Onana and sign a starting midfielder along with Timmy.

Yeah I said that above the latest post.

I think though with where the club has been last few years that anyone signed for 10m + is instantly then hyped as a game changing side when in reality the lad played about five games for Villa last season so is very inexperienced at this level.

He'll be the midfield equivalent of Chermiti last season who certainly was eased in right up to the last six weeks.

Maybe they'll be more injuries and he'll get his chance sooner.

Erm, what? I’ve literally just checked your starting line ups for the last 5 games and in every one at least two of those midfielders were in the team. At no point did Matty Cash play in central midfield from what I can see.
When we set up we have one deeper lying midfielder, one starting deeper with the other but dictating possession) and then two midfielders playing almost as a two in front of them creating a box midfield, the further forward two were usually McGinn, Tielemans, Rogers, Ramsey (Buendia last season) so Cash/ A Winger were used as one of the further midfielders (central in attack, but more normal wide midfield defence).

Most people don't because unlike some clubs we don't/didn't whine on and on about our injuries to the press.

For the last 5-6 games or so we were playing a winger (Diaby/Bailey) and a full-back (Cash) in midfield as we had lost Luiz (suspended for a couple), Tielemans, Ramsey, Rogers, Dendoncker had gone on loan, Kamara and were struggling in that area of the pitch McGinn had to drop deep which isn;t his game, and Luiz when he came back also then dropped deep. It altered the way we had been playing as Luiz was our tempo and controlled everything and McGinn the bulldozer.

Still, during all this time Iroegbunam (pronounce Iro-boo-num) wasn't truested by Emery. He'd neat and tidy but just that. To be fair the team he was trying to get into is a top 4 team so that in itself shouldn't be held against him. Also, given that we sold Aaron Ramsey last year for around £15-18m to Burnley this smacks of a quick fire sale for bloody PSR nonsense reasons. It may also be a make weight for another deal that we'll announce with Everton after the Euros (Onana?) as it appears we need to get some funds in before June 30th.

Will he start every game? I doubt it but for £10m you're buying potential. Was he good? Yeah, okay. Was he bad? No, just your steady eddy. Is he a Prem player? Not yet but won't necessarily look out of place if he is only getting 15-20 mins here and there to shore up a midfeld.
Villas last 8 games

V Palace - Luiz & McGinn
V Liverpool - Luiz, McGinn, Tielemans
V Brighton - Luiz, McGinn
V Chelsea - Luiz, McGinn, Tielemans
V Bournemouth - McGinn, Tielemans
V Arsenal - McGinn, Tielemans
V Brentford - Luiz, McGinn, Tielemans
V City - Luiz, Iroegbunam

Villas last 8 games

V Palace - Luiz & McGinn
V Liverpool - Luiz, McGinn, Tielemans
V Brighton - Luiz, McGinn
V Chelsea - Luiz, McGinn, Tielemans
V Bournemouth - McGinn, Tielemans
V Arsenal - McGinn, Tielemans
V Brentford - Luiz, McGinn, Tielemans
V City - Luiz, Iroegbunam

V Chelsea Tielemans went off on the 27th minute injured. We also had two games v Olympiacos after that Chelsea game. So, as I said for the last 5 or 6 games we played with a full back and a winger in those midfield places. I think you may also be confused as to what I'm saying. We play with a midfield 4 that is a kind of box shape when in attack. The only two natural midfielders we had were Luiz and McGinn in the main. Rather than trust Iroegbunam we brought McGinn deeper (and to a degree Luiz) and played other non-midfielders in the positions that you'd (we'd) prefer to see McGinn and/or Luiz in.

I have absolutely no idea whether this Tim guy is any good but what this proposed deal tells us is that either
1. We don't have a PSR hole that needs to be urgently fixed or
2. We have a deal, presumably for Onana that is ready to go in the next few days

…or the deal is agreed but won’t happen this month. Saying that, it sounds like Villa need income before then so it could be a matter of getting everything lined up.

Tielemans played and scored in the final home game against Liverpool, no idea where this has come from. McGinn started the last 8 games.
I went all the way back to Feb and a combination or all of Tielemans, Luiz and McGinn started in Villa's midfield, apart from in a couple of Europa League games

Most people don't because unlike some clubs we don't/didn't whine on and on about our injuries to the press.

For the last 5-6 games or so we were playing a winger (Diaby/Bailey) and a full-back (Cash) in midfield as we had lost Luiz (suspended for a couple), Tielemans, Ramsey, Rogers, Dendoncker had gone on loan, Kamara and were struggling in that area of the pitch McGinn had to drop deep which isn;t his game, and Luiz when he came back also then dropped deep. It altered the way we had been playing as Luiz was our tempo and controlled everything and McGinn the bulldozer.

Still, during all this time Iroegbunam (pronounce Iro-boo-num) wasn't truested by Emery. He'd neat and tidy but just that. To be fair the team he was trying to get into is a top 4 team so that in itself shouldn't be held against him. Also, given that we sold Aaron Ramsey last year for around £15-18m to Burnley this smacks of a quick fire sale for bloody PSR nonsense reasons. It may also be a make weight for another deal that we'll announce with Everton after the Euros (Onana?) as it appears we need to get some funds in before June 30th.

Will he start every game? I doubt it but for £10m you're buying potential. Was he good? Yeah, okay. Was he bad? No, just your steady eddy. Is he a Prem player? Not yet but won't necessarily look out of place if he is only getting 15-20 mins here and there to shore up a midfeld.
Marty Cash didn’t play
Erm, what? I’ve literally just checked your starting line ups for the last 5 games and in every one at least two of those midfielders were in the team. At no point did Matty Cash play in central midfield from what I can see.
Spot on-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back