Confirmed Signing Tim Iroegbunam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah I understand your point, there is no guarantee. I think people comment with the understanding or assuming he hasn’t had a stinker.

There were periods that we could have sold Davies and instead ran his contract out. That’s not so much for his decline but the clubs decision making. But yeah, I think Yakubu is a good example.

11m for him, sold him for something like 2.5 despite him proving he was worth it, but over 3/4 years, injuries had an impact (anyone can get an injury).

I think people are desperate for us to be more proactive in younger players, if one gets 30/40 appearances within 2 years, they won’t have decreased in value.

But yeah. There’s no guarantee but think it’s like that with any signing. Everyone just assumes they’re gonna be a hit or a good signing. Not just Everton fans, just genuine football fans in general!
Yakubu was 41 years old when he left Everton though.

I'm not really talking about him as a signing so much its just this thing people keep saying as if you automatically guarantee your money back when making a signing like this you don't at all its the same as any signing if it doesn't go well you're not getting your money back. Its less money (we don't know about the make up of the deal thats pure speculation) which makes it less of a risk in that way but its just not true that a player like this will definitely keep their value just look at Tom Davies for an obvious example.
There's more chance of a financial upside with it than buying a player 28 plus

Reading the Villa forum it seems he was very good on loan at QPR but has looked poor and clumsy in the limited minutes for Villa and Emery doesn’t fancy him.

Obviously still young, turns 21 this month, so hopefully finds his feet here.
I had never heard of the fella until a couple of days ago so i don’t want to proclaim to have any insight in the fella. However, a stronger, bigger “clumsy” midfielder appears to be more of a Dyche type rather than an Emery player.

£10m for this cat = £10m pure profit for Villa for a homegrown player which massively helps their PSR. We spread the payment over 4 seasons = £2.5m expenditure on our spreadsheet this year.

No idea if a similar deal for Dobbin would help us or his even it out? Can't imagine Dobbin even gets anywhere near the Villa squad - Bailey is generally their first backup for the wing and he's 25x the player.

Never heard of him to be honest.
Is he a defensive midfielder?
Certainly doesn’t seem to be rated particularly highly by anyone who has seen him so far .

We're doing a mutually beneficial psr deal here with Villa aren't we. This is no way to use a player's career - but that's just a consequence of modern ill thought out regulations.

Since neither of us are sky brands, I fully expect a rule change from the prem that we are each retrospectively clobbered for.

What rule could they come up with? They’re saying we have to sell players so we’re selling players. Nowhere in the rules does it stipulate that we have to sell certain players to certain clubs, sadly for them.

What rule could they come up with? They’re saying we have to sell players so we’re selling players. Nowhere in the rules does it stipulate that we have to sell certain players to certain clubs, sadly for them.
Nowhere in the rules YET.
But they'll shut this loophole like they did Chelsea's. Difference is they'll also dream up a retrospective sanction for us, just because.

Nowhere in the rules YET.
But they'll shut this loophole like they did Chelsea's. Difference is they'll also dream up a retrospective sanction for us, just because.
It is tricky to see how they could shut this sort of thing down though. With Chelsea it was just banning contracts longer than 5 years. We're just testing the waters here though and hoping it flies under the radar a bit. It's when people start doing mad swaps for inflated fees that things will get properly looked at. But how?
Anyway, agree with your point earlier about Dobbin and his career. It doesn't seem right shifting players around for this purpose. But I suppose you never know, either him or Villa Tim might work out in the long run for either club.

It is tricky to see how they could shut this sort of thing down though. With Chelsea it was just banning contracts longer than 5 years. We're just testing the waters here though and hoping it flies under the radar a bit. It's when people start doing mad swaps for inflated fees that things will get properly looked at. But how?
Anyway, agree with your point earlier about Dobbin and his career. It doesn't seem right shifting players around for this purpose. But I suppose you never know, either him or Villa Tim might work out in the long run for either club.
I don't like the idea of players who have come through the academy are first on the list to get shut of because the garner more pull in the PSR system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back